Testing Stereoscopic Panorama

  • onezebra1
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2011
      This may be too wide and I still need to do more work on the photos.
      Shot with 2 cameras, 19 shots each, stitched with whole photos (not cropped to smaller widths) didn't make template for the second image. The right Canon 5Dmk2 camera would not focus right with Canon 15mm lens, camera sent in for repairs.
      http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/3d2.html

      Roger Berry
    • John Houghton
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2011
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

        > This may be too wide ....

        Roger, The images need to be transposed if there is to be any possibility of viewing the images in 3D at this size, for which you can use the cross-eyed method. Only by zooming the window to less than 50% (on my screen) can I see the 3D effect with the eyes straight ahead, but the image is then far too small.

        John
      • onezebra1
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2011
          Ok, how about this width? Problem will be different screens will be different view sizes.
          http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/3d.html

          I'm looking at getting some 3-D TV Stereo Prism Glasses that they sell on amazom.com
          They say these will work on any size screen.

          Roger Berry

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...> wrote:

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" <onezebra1@> wrote:
          > >
          > > This may be too wide ....
          >
          > Roger, The images need to be transposed if there is to be any possibility of viewing the images in 3D at this size, for which you can use the cross-eyed method. Only by zooming the window to less than 50% (on my screen) can I see the 3D effect with the eyes straight ahead, but the image is then far too small.
          >
          > John

        • Roger D. Williams
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2011
            On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:09:27 +0900, onezebra1 <onezebra1@...> wrote:

            > Ok, how about this width? Problem will be different screens will be
            > different view sizes.
            > http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/3d.html

            The stereo prism glasses I use require the images to be one over the
            other, which of course is ideal for panoramas with high aspect
            ratios. They give an excellent stereo experience... But they are
            so uncommon that I fear very few would get to enjoy your stereo
            images.

            But rather than reduce the width of the images so that straight on
            viewing is possible, why not provide them for cross-eyed viewing
            as John suggested?

            This would allow you to make far better use of screen real estate.

            Roger W,

            > I'm looking at getting some 3-D TV Stereo Prism Glasses that they sell
            > on amazom.com
            > They say these will work on any size screen.
            >
            > Roger Berry
            >

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...>
            > wrote:
            >>
            >> --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" <onezebra1@> wrote:
            >> >
            >> > This may be too wide ....
            >>
            >> Roger, The images need to be transposed if there is to be any
            >> possibility of viewing the images in 3D at this size, for which you can
            >> use the cross-eyed method. Only by zooming the window to less than 50%
            >> (on my screen) can I see the 3D effect with the eyes straight ahead,
            >> but the image is then far too small.
            >>
            >> John

            Work: www.adex-japan.com
          • Roger D. Williams
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 31, 2011
              On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:01:58 +0900, Roger D. Williams
              <roger@...> wrote:

              > On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:09:27 +0900, onezebra1 <onezebra1@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              >> Ok, how about this width? Problem will be different screens will be
              >> different view sizes.
              >> http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/3d.html

              Roger, after searching for the Amazon glasses I see that they use a
              different principle from my own, which are probably better called
              "periscope" goggles. Mine uses mirrors to direct the L & R eyes
              to images one above the other. As I said, this enables wide but
              shallow images (like most non-VR panoramas) to be viewed spread
              across the entire screen. But as I also said, this is pretty rare
              and won't get you many viewers. It is highly effective and quite
              free of eye strain for viewing my own images, which is what I use
              it for...

              Roger W.

              --
              Work: www.adex-japan.com
            • onezebra1
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 31, 2011
                I had heard about cross-eye viewing but just now did a search and found out more about it.
                Right now I'm just playing with this style because I at work for the next few days and can't work on the photos.

                At Amazon I found 3 types of viewers:
                Pokescope® 3D Stereo Viewer.
                3-D TV Stereo Prism Glasses.
                Adjustable 3D Stereo Wide Viewer for Monitor and 3D Prints.

                Roger Berry

                > The stereo prism glasses I use require the images to be one over the
                > other, which of course is ideal for panoramas with high aspect
                > ratios. They give an excellent stereo experience... But they are
                > so uncommon that I fear very few would get to enjoy your stereo
                > images.
                >
                > But rather than reduce the width of the images so that straight on
                > viewing is possible, why not provide them for cross-eyed viewing
                > as John suggested?
                >
                > This would allow you to make far better use of screen real estate.
                >
                > Roger W,

              • John Houghton
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 31, 2011
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

                  > Ok, how about this width? Problem will be different screens will be different view sizes.

                  That's still slightly too big a separation on my screen (3 inches) but I can manage to fuse the images if I move back a bit. It's a poor viewing experience, though. Prism glasses would be essential.

                  Anyone not able to manage the straight ahead method might like to try this autostereo image. To see the proper effect, move close to the screen and look through it to see a blurry image but let the repeating pattern snap into alignment. Then move away from the screen anf focus without losing the alignment. You should see a shark in front of the flat background.

                  John