Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Future of VR Panoramas - WAS: Apple dropped QTVR

  • Don Bain
    Message 1 of 56 , Jan 30, 2011
      On Jan 30, 2011, at 2:01 PM, cscrrm wrote:

      > that was a very detailed and accurate description of the state of VR today. thanks for the advice and hopefully we can make some standards.
      >
      > How can the community help on this regard?

      Rey, thanks for writing. A few things that you (and others) can do:

      - create awesome VR panoramas so we can impress the world

      - always put the words VR panorama and 360 somewhere on your web pages and in the metadata

      - participate in the World Wide Panorama, its free and you get your name in the Meet the People section - there is one day left to enter Best of 2010, all you need is one good pano you took in 2010 http://WorldWidePanorama.org

      - join the IVRPA, the association for VR professionals http://ivrpa.org

      - attend one of the IVRPA conferences if you can, the next one is in Portugal in June http://Palmela2011.com the last one was in Arizona http://Tucson2010.com

      Hope to see you in Palmela!
      Don
    • Bostjan Burger
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 5, 2011
        My opinion is that we need to be exact with the use of terms. We know many types
        of panoramas from the geographical point of view, as social, economic, cultural
        panoramas. My daughters study music so they are familiar with musical panoramas…
        I am working with the physical geography and GIS and panorama means for me a
        visual perception of a landscape or a region. It is true; term panorama became
        popular when geographers started with crocs which represented the surrounding
        landscapes, often with 360°. That sketches were named panorama. Panorama is
        truly worldwide expression and recognizable in most of the modern languages.
        From that point of view I have no problem with using that term even in small
        rooms (even not logical in some cases of use…). So… panorama (not a vista as
        insitu view) is a flat 2D picture, photography of the landscape (urban or rural)
        or »other« scapes. Interactive panorama is something what we can move or is with
        hotspots. That what we do is the presentation of that flat 2D: paint, image,
        sketch, photography which represents panorama, on the screen. That presentation
        is with the projection algorithm which makes a mental illusion of the
        surrounding image like to be there. If someone say 360° panorama I can't be
        sure: is that a print or screen projection? Same is with interactive panorama –
        is it only interactive picture or is the illusion of the surrounding? With term
        Spherical panorama is same…is it a print, projection? What about cylinders?
        (Most of my panoramas from mountain tops are cylinders).

        But all is with the agreement and the consensuns with the use of terms. Let’s
        use something what is already recognizable but be exact: flat is flat and
        projection is a projection… Last decade I used term 360° panorama for a flat
        image like prints and Virtual Reality panorama for a projection of that same
        image on the screen.

        Bostjan