Apple dropped QTVR

  • Paul Fretheim
    Message 1 of 56 , Jan 29, 2011
      Don could you please expand on what you said about Apple "dropping"
      QTVR? As you probably know, I have been creating and making a living
      from selling DVDs which feature scenic VR imaging at the National Parks
      such as Grand Canyon for quite a while now. I have computerized
      interactive kiosks in visitor centers throughout the Southwest. I use
      Director to create the interactive movies that are displayed on the
      kiosks. Even though the panoramas on the DVDs themselves are in Flash
      now, I have to use Quicktime in the kiosk movies because Adobe has not
      updated Director, which they orphaned after purchasing Macromedia, to
      integrate Flash VR.

      If you want to spend a frustrating day, try calling Adobe and telling
      someone that they need to add Flash VR to Director's list of media
      types. Adobe "doesn't know or care" about Flash VR is pretty accurate.
      Our friends in India have no idea of what anyone is talking about when
      you mention Flash VR. And it is nearly impossible to describe to someone
      who does not speak American dialect English, it seems.

      Apple still supports QTVR in the latest builds of Quicktime though,
      doesn't it? A friend of mine who had taken a panoramic photo on her
      recent trip to Antarctica sent me the pano as a rectangular jpeg and
      claimed that there was no version of Flash that would work on her "64
      bit" computer when I sent her a link to a Flash VR I created from her
      image. I don't think she was right about there being no version of Flash
      for her Windows machine, but I then went to Pano2VR and output a version
      of her image in Quicktime VR and it worked pretty well.

      Anyway, your comments concerned me when I read them and I hope you will
      expand and clarify and tell us more about where you see VR going and
      perhaps write a bit more about why you think "VR is a marginal media type."

      > We have to recognize that VR is a marginal media type - Apple dropped QTVR,
      > Microsoft never had a VR player, Flash is what we use now but Adobe doesn't know
      > or care. We need to be nimble and look ahead if we want people to see our work.
      >
      > Big players like YouTube were iPad-ready from day one. We should stop
      > complaining that new devices don't play old sites and start preparing for
      > whatever comes next.
      Don Bain
    • Bostjan Burger
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 5, 2011
        My opinion is that we need to be exact with the use of terms. We know many types
        of panoramas from the geographical point of view, as social, economic, cultural
        panoramas. My daughters study music so they are familiar with musical panoramas…
        I am working with the physical geography and GIS and panorama means for me a
        visual perception of a landscape or a region. It is true; term panorama became
        popular when geographers started with crocs which represented the surrounding
        landscapes, often with 360°. That sketches were named panorama. Panorama is
        truly worldwide expression and recognizable in most of the modern languages.
        From that point of view I have no problem with using that term even in small
        rooms (even not logical in some cases of use…). So… panorama (not a vista as
        insitu view) is a flat 2D picture, photography of the landscape (urban or rural)
        or »other« scapes. Interactive panorama is something what we can move or is with
        hotspots. That what we do is the presentation of that flat 2D: paint, image,
        sketch, photography which represents panorama, on the screen. That presentation
        is with the projection algorithm which makes a mental illusion of the
        surrounding image like to be there. If someone say 360° panorama I can't be
        sure: is that a print or screen projection? Same is with interactive panorama –
        is it only interactive picture or is the illusion of the surrounding? With term
        Spherical panorama is same…is it a print, projection? What about cylinders?
        (Most of my panoramas from mountain tops are cylinders).

        But all is with the agreement and the consensuns with the use of terms. Let’s
        use something what is already recognizable but be exact: flat is flat and
        projection is a projection… Last decade I used term 360° panorama for a flat
        image like prints and Virtual Reality panorama for a projection of that same
        image on the screen.

        Bostjan