Re: Is IPad only a trash?

  • Andrew Nemeth
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 28, 2011
      On 29/01/2011, at 10:33 AM, "Don Bain" wrote:

      > I see iPads everywhere. People use iPads to read the newspaper on the subway - one of the biggest booths at the Expo was The New York Times. Corporations are replacing laptops and dedicated handheld devices with iPads and iPhones. This is not a marginal technology. When non-Apple tablets mature the sector will be even stronger.
      >
      > We have to recognize that VR is a marginal media type - Apple dropped QTVR, Microsoft never had a VR player, Flash is what we use now but Adobe doesn't know or care. We need to be nimble and look ahead if we want people to see our work.

      Don nailed it here and I completely agree. VR authors should look up from PTGui every now and then to see what the rest of the world is doing. Hint - it isn't VR =)

      Even here is technologically backward Australia there are iPads everywhere. Even the kids in the high school where I teach have them. Meanwhile iPad v2 is due to be announced in Feb and released in April...

      With this in mind I used some spare time during the school holidays to completely rewrite my website to use HTML5/ CSS3/ JQuery. I was also pleased to remove ever last trace of Flash.

      The good news is that HTML5 is much sleeker to code with than XHTML strict. It is also (surprisingly) much more old-browser friendly.

      The bad news is that there isn't a Webkit/ Firefox/ iOS cross-platform solution for VR playback yet. (No, KRPano doesn't fit the bill.)

      Am hoping that someone wakes up and makes a modern x-platform HTML5 soon.

      So... with the profusion of iOS devices about, I _strongly_ recommend VR authors start thinking about upgrading their sites.

      FWIW, grain-of-salt, YMMV etc.

      Andrew N.
      http://nemeng.com/
      Blue Mountains, Australia