Re: Samyang 8mm review

  • David
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 28, 2011
      I looked at your Lyon Air Museum Pano. It seems you should be able to get a sharper image with the Samyang 8mm. What f stop was that at? About f9 is best. Were you using a high ISO? Tripod mounted I try to be in the 100-400 range. Hand held I guess you might need to use higher.

      I saw some stitching errors in the structure of the ceiling, but not too bad.

      Here's one I did of the evergreen Aviation Museum with the same lens, Canon 50D:

      http://www.360cities.net/image/evergreen-aviation-space-museum-sr-71-usa#-184.32,0.43,80.2

      I have some stitch errors in the ceiling as well (behind the flag, ah I shouldn't have told you where). It seems no matter how long I look at the busy ones I miss some spots.

      Regards,
      David B

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Greg Voisan <gregvoisan@...> wrote:

      > Sorry, forgot the link:
      >
      > http://www.360cities.net/search/@author-360photoprojects

    • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 28, 2011
        Hi David!

        > Here's one I did of the evergreen Aviation Museum with the same lens, Canon
        > 50D:

        Nice panos. Handheld?

        --
        L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
        felipe@...

      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 28, 2011
          Ooh nice. Thanks for sharing.

          The sr71 actually woke up me once from a deep sleep coming into Oshkosh.

          Didn't think they were supposed to break the barrier over land.

          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 28, 2011
            David:

            I shot these all at f8 ISO 200 on a D70. It's hard for me to get the focus
            right.

            - Greg

          • David
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 29, 2011
              Homemade L bracket on a tripod. Could be more precise, but better than hand held. I plan to make another when I have some time.
              David B

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, L.D.I. Felipe B. González <felipe@...> wrote:

              > Hi David!
              >

              > > Here's one I did of the evergreen Aviation Museum with the same lens, Canon
              > > 50D:
              > >
              > Nice panos. Handheld?
              >

              > --
              > L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
              > felipe@...
              > 1998-5246
              > www.fpk.com.mx
              > http://recorridosvirtualesmexico.blogspot.com/
              >
              > Socio Director Maquetas Virtuales www.maquetasvirtuales.com
              > Socio Director Recorridos Virtuales www.recorridosvirtuales.com

            • David
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 29, 2011
                Focus shouldn't be an issue with an 8mm lens. Just set it at about 10ft and f9 and you should be good for about 4ft to infinity. Maybe you are reducing resolution or increasing noise with your processing flow somehow. Or maybe there is some small movement when you take the shots. I try to use Live view silent mode with a 2 sec delay or remote shutter. I found I have to pay attention to what I'm doing to get a shot that's sharp when you look close with 15M pixels resolution.

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Greg Voisan <gregvoisan@...> wrote:

                > David:
                >
                > I shot these all at f8 ISO 200 on a D70. It's hard for me to get the focus
                > right.
                >
                > - Greg

              • Greg Voisan
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 29, 2011
                  Good point with the 2 sec delay. I may have a little camera shake when I
                  press the shutter. Also I have been bracketing +2, 0, -2 and processing in
                  Photomatix before stitching in Panoweaver.

                • Hans
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 30, 2011
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "David" <dburton97128@...> wrote:

                    > Focus shouldn't be an issue with an 8mm lens. Just set it at about 10ft and f9 and you >should be good for about 4ft to infinity.

                    I would not do this with any fisheye or wide angle without testing it.
                    Even if the Samyang has a very nice focus scale it does not always have the focus in agreement with it. Its very easy to get an infinity out of focus if you just trust DOF.
                    There has been several people reporting this.
                    Also Sigma 8mm may have this problem and most of the other fisheyes has a focus scale which is so short that there is no way you can use it to set hyperfocal focus.
                    Even my Canon 15mm has to be focused at a little longer focus than your DOF indicates to get infinity focus.

                    If you have a good Live View with x10 zoom you can use it to calibrate the focus. Other wise take test images with small movements.

                    Hans

                    Maybe you are reducing resolution or increasing noise with your processing flow somehow. Or maybe there is some small movement when you take the shots. I try to use Live view silent mode with a 2 sec delay or remote shutter. I found I have to pay attention to what I'm doing to get a shot that's sharp when you look close with 15M pixels resolution.

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Greg Voisan <gregvoisan@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > David:
                    > >
                    > > I shot these all at f8 ISO 200 on a D70. It's hard for me to get the focus
                    > > right.
                    > >
                    > > - Greg

                  • A Kielcz
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 30, 2011
                      I had to send my Samyang back to Foto-tip to calibrate focus. It's a different lens now and it focuses as it should. They fixed it under warranty and returned it very fast.

                      A Kielcz

                      Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 30, 2011
                        Focus was an issue on my Samyang until Foto-tip fixed it.

                        A Kielcz

                        Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

                        Focus shouldn't be an issue with an 8mm lens. Just set it at about 10ft and f9 and you should be good for about 4ft to infinity. Maybe you are reducing resolution or increasing noise with your processing flow somehow. Or maybe there is some small movement when you take the shots. I try to use Live view silent mode with a 2 sec delay or remote shutter. I found I have to pay attention to what I'm doing to get a shot that's sharp when you look close with 15M pixels resolution.

                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Greg Voisan <gregvoisan@...> wrote:

                        > David:

                        > I shot these all at f8 ISO 200 on a D70. It's hard for me to get the focus

                        > right.

                        > - Greg

                      • AYRTON
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 4 10:12 PM
                          On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 4:52 PM, Ricardo TVB <
                          ricardo.araujo@...> wrote:

                          > Uri,
                          > You can see a pano made with this lens (Canon 5D mkII +
                          > Samyang 8mm@f8) here: http://bit.ly/idS8Fb

                          Hey Ricardo, I bid this job too :-)

                          Nice panos btw :-)

                          best
                          AYRTON

                          > Regards,
                          >
                          > Ricardo
                          >

                          > Em 26/01/2011 16:19, Uri escreveu:
                          > >

                          > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                          > > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%2540yahoogroups.com>>,
                          > A Kielcz
                          > > <roblee007@...> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Maybe it will shed some light about this lens.
                          > > > http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/526-samyang8f35eos?start=1
                          > >
                          > > It's all very interesting, but can you show us an actual
                          > > panorama that you made with this lens?

                          + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                          + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                          http://ayrton360.com