Is anybody from Cairo or Egypt following this list?

  • jrgen_schrader
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 28, 2011
      Please contact me offline.

      Cheers
      Jürgen
    • Henri Smeets
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 28, 2011
        I have contact with a panographer in Egypt, but not anymore for the last 20
        hours or so now.

        Hope he's well and get back in touch soon!
      • Jan Martin
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 28, 2011
          Just in case you didn't read about it yet:
          Internet connection has been cut by the Egypt government to stop the
          protests.
          Try sending a fax.

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 28, 2011
            Hi Jan,

            Yes I read that, a very unfortunate event! I have no fax number alas.

            Let's hope this internet ban will be over soon as well as the
            political tension of course!

            Henri

            On 28 jan 2011, at 16:13, Jan Martin-2 [via PanoToolsNG] wrote:

            > Just in case you didn't read about it yet:
            > Internet connection has been cut by the Egypt government to stop the
            > protests.
            > Try sending a fax.
            >

            > On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Henri Smeets <[hidden email]> wrote:
            >

            > > I have contact with a panographer in Egypt, but not anymore for
            > the last 20
            > > hours or so now.
            > >
            > > Hope he's well and get back in touch soon!
            > > --

            > discussion below:
            > http://panotoolsng.586017.n4.nabble.com/Is-anybody-from-Cairo-or-Egypt-following-this-list-tp3244069p3244686.html
            > To unsubscribe from Is anybody from Cairo or Egypt following this
            > list?, click here.

            Met vriendelijke groet,

            Henri Smeets

            C360 / Lookaround / XPACT
            Willem Schoutenstraat 55
            1057 DM Amsterdam
            T +31643048348

            KVK 33289519
            BTW 154783535B01

          • Bostjan Burger
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 28, 2011
              It is off topic, sorry… I went in town today and it was a very first time I saw
              Ipad in live. It was a 64 GB 3G version and the price of 799 € (1100 US$) was
              interesting for a communication device – better display as my phone but still
              quite compact and light to carry it in my rucksack when hiking in remote areas.
              The first impression was very good and just before I slipped my Visa card I
              tried some web sites… I didn't bother much with Apple technology so far but my
              “the common sense” was that Ipad works as a tablet PC, so no problems with the
              web sites in general. The shower was very cold… my web site is with design from
              1996 and I still type a code in most cases…but it didn't work at all on Ipad. No
              Java no flash, that means that majority of web sites I use to look at panoramas
              are not available. It was a useless device from the other planet…even my phone
              can run java and flash. Now I wonder why are you so enthusiastic with that; what
              can I say »only toy«…; and are wasting your energy to modify your web sites to
              that kind of device which seems too marginal? As an example Samsung Galaxy cost
              3x less and as a 2 years 3G service for a 12 € a month even 10x less and runs
              all I need…I wish only the display of Ipad.

              Bostjan

            • Sacha Griffin
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 28, 2011
                What viewer software did you try?

                I couldn’t even get flash panorama player with 420 cube faces to work very well on the galaxy.

                Sure it kinda worked, but there was no comparison in performance.

                You’re other points are valid.

                There are a lot of people looking forward to a non-apple tablet with the necessary horsepower.

                Now, if the ipad2 has a 140+dpi screen, that’s another story.

                Anyone else notice how even 72dpi lcd screens outshine 300dpi prints?

                I’m guessing the ipad will be at least 1920 screen width leading to a killer display for the photographic arts.

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 28, 2011
                  It's time to find a ham radio operator. If anyone will get the news out it
                  will be them.

                  Greg

                • Hans
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 28, 2011

                    > What viewer software did you try?
                    >
                    > I couldn’t even get flash panorama player with 420 cube faces to work very well on the galaxy.
                    >
                    > Sure it kinda worked, but there was no comparison in performance.

                    Only KRpano works perfect. But you should use multiresolution to get best performance.
                    FPP and Pano2VR may crash with larger cubefaces than 2000x2000
                    and for acceptable performance you have to go down to the iPad size of 1024x1024.

                    Almost all my FPP at panoramas.dk does not work, even if they load they can not be navigated, pano takes over and moves around in different ways.

                    But all my new added KRPano iPad supported panos (first 10) works fine with full zoom in on my small Desire Z Android. Largest one is 8192x8192 cubefaces as max.

                    The newer Android tablets coming in the next months may be better as several has dual core processors. Also some of the latest Smartphones has dualcore.

                    Hans

                    > You’re other points are valid.
                    >
                    > There are a lot of people looking forward to a non-apple tablet with the necessary horsepower.
                    >
                    > Now, if the ipad2 has a 140+dpi screen, that’s another story.
                    >
                    > Anyone else notice how even 72dpi lcd screens outshine 300dpi prints?
                    >
                    > I’m guessing the ipad will be at least 1920 screen width leading to a killer display for the photographic arts.

                  • Don Bain
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 28, 2011
                      Sorry, Bostjan, but I must disagree - the situation looks very different from here. Macs and iPads may be rare in Slovenia, but they are mainstream in California. With all due respect, this is where the future of technology and media comes from.

                      I was at MacWorld Expo in San Francisco yesterday, which might better have been named iPad and MacBook Expo. I only saw one or two desktop computers, all the excitement was about iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Air. iPads are selling as fast as Apple can make them - about 15 million in 2010 and projected to double or triple in 2011. A second generation iPad is expected in a few months, and Apple's competitors are mostly still showing prototypes (as at CES in Las Vegas two weeks ago).

                      I see iPads everywhere. People use iPads to read the newspaper on the subway - one of the biggest booths at the Expo was The New York Times. Corporations are replacing laptops and dedicated handheld devices with iPads and iPhones. This is not a marginal technology. When non-Apple tablets mature the sector will be even stronger.

                      We have to recognize that VR is a marginal media type - Apple dropped QTVR, Microsoft never had a VR player, Flash is what we use now but Adobe doesn't know or care. We need to be nimble and look ahead if we want people to see our work.

                      Big players like YouTube were iPad-ready from day one. We should stop complaining that new devices don't play old sites and start preparing for whatever comes next.

                      Don

                      On Jan 28, 2011, at 7:33 AM, Bostjan Burger wrote:

                      > It is off topic, sorry… I went in town today and it was a very first time I saw
                      > Ipad in live. It was a 64 GB 3G version and the price of 799 € (1100 US$) was
                      > interesting for a communication device – better display as my phone but still
                      > quite compact and light to carry it in my rucksack when hiking in remote areas.
                      > The first impression was very good and just before I slipped my Visa card I
                      > tried some web sites… I didn't bother much with Apple technology so far but my
                      > “the common sense” was that Ipad works as a tablet PC, so no problems with the
                      > web sites in general. The shower was very cold… my web site is with design from
                      > 1996 and I still type a code in most cases…but it didn't work at all on Ipad. No
                      > Java no flash, that means that majority of web sites I use to look at panoramas
                      > are not available. It was a useless device from the other planet…even my phone
                      > can run java and flash. Now I wonder why are you so enthusiastic with that; what
                      > can I say »only toy«…; and are wasting your energy to modify your web sites to
                      > that kind of device which seems too marginal? As an example Samsung Galaxy cost
                      > 3x less and as a 2 years 3G service for a 12 € a month even 10x less and runs
                      > all I need…I wish only the display of Ipad.
                      >
                      > Bostjan

                    • Don Bain
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 28, 2011
                        On Jan 28, 2011, at 7:33 AM, Bostjan Burger wrote:

                        > better display as my phone but still
                        > quite compact and light to carry it in my rucksack when hiking in remote areas

                        > I didn't bother much with Apple technology so far but my
                        > “the common sense” was that Ipad works as a tablet PC

                        The iPad is not a netbook, it is something new. It is suitable for many things, but not for all.

                        My 17-inch laptop has always been larger than I want for traveling, and I decided to replace it. I debated between another iPad (my wife has the one I bought and won't give it back) and the two models of MacBook Air.

                        The 11-inch Air is scarcely larger than the iPad, but a full-featured computer. Eventually I decided on the 13-inch Air for its larger screen and better battery life. It weighs exactly one kilo! I also got a terabyte USB drive the size of an iPhone. I may add an external battery for when I am off the grid for multiple days.

                        For what you do, the MacBook Air 11-inch might be very good. Be sure to get a waterproof and crushproof case for it. :-)
                      • Hans
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 28, 2011
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Don Bain <dbain@...> wrote:

                          > On Jan 28, 2011, at 7:33 AM, Bostjan Burger wrote:
                          >
                          > > better display as my phone but still
                          > > quite compact and light to carry it in my rucksack when hiking in remote areas
                          >
                          > > I didn't bother much with Apple technology so far but my
                          > > "the common sense" was that Ipad works as a tablet PC
                          >
                          > The iPad is not a netbook, it is something new. It is suitable for many things, but not for all.
                          >
                          > My 17-inch laptop has always been larger than I want for traveling, and I decided to replace it. I debated between another iPad (my wife has the one I bought and won't give it back) and the two models of MacBook Air.
                          >
                          > The 11-inch Air is scarcely larger than the iPad, but a full-featured computer. Eventually I decided on the 13-inch Air for its larger screen and better battery life. It weighs exactly one kilo! I also got a terabyte USB drive the size of an iPhone. I may add an external battery for when I am off the grid for multiple days.
                          >
                          > For what you do, the MacBook Air 11-inch might be very good. Be sure to get a waterproof and crushproof case for it. :-)

                          I think I will get one of these for mine.
                          http://www.scottevest.com/company/ipad.shtml

                          The only complain I have about Mac laptops today is the non interchangeable batteries.

                          I will need to get a car charger for mine and I am also looking for one of these external batteries but it looks like I need to get it from US.

                          As far as I can see these are the only ones.
                          http://www.hypershop.com/HyperMac-External-Battery-for-MacBook-iPad-iPhone-USB-s/91.htm
                          With toll I guess it ends up in $350 + Vat for the 100Wh

                          I do not understand why Apple has not understood that this is needed

                          Hans
                        • Don Bain
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 28, 2011
                            On Jan 28, 2011, at 9:59 AM, Hans wrote:

                            > I think I will get one of these for mine.
                            > http://www.scottevest.com/company/ipad.shtml

                            Very interesting. Not good for hot places, though (my next trips are to Hawaii and the southwest deserts).

                            I bought a traditional briefcase-type bag. It holds the MacBook Air, power cord, 12-volt charger, HDMI pigtail, terabyte drive and USB cord. Also my Olympus Pen camera (with lens collapsed) and a flash - for general photography. Pano gear still needs its own bag/backpack.

                            > The only complain I have about Mac laptops today is the non interchangeable batteries.
                            > I will need to get a car charger for mine and I am also looking for one of these external batteries but it looks like I need to get it from US.
                            >
                            > As far as I can see these are the only ones.
                            > http://www.hypershop.com/HyperMac-External-Battery-for-MacBook-iPad-iPhone-USB-s/91.htm
                            > With toll I guess it ends up in $350 + Vat for the 100Wh

                            I saw HyperMac at MacWorld Expo yesterday. They have a series of batteries ranging from iPhone size to twice the size of a brick (and about as heavy). Other vendors had solar chargers, fine for phones but marginal for anything else.

                            I have a very compact 100w inverter to charge the MacBook Air from my car battery.

                            Don
                          • jrgen_schrader
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 28, 2011
                              What on earth keeps you from opening a new thread for such an entirely different topic?

                              > It is off topic, sorry… I went in town today and it was a very first time I saw
                              > Ipad in live. It was a 64 GB 3G version and the price of 799 € (1100 US$) was
                              > interesting for a communication device â€" better display as my phone but still
                              > quite compact and light to carry it in my rucksack when hiking in remote areas.
                              > The first impression was very good and just before I slipped my Visa card I
                              > tried some web sites… I didn't bother much with Apple technology so far but my
                              > “the common sense” was that Ipad works as a tablet PC, so no problems with the
                              > web sites in general. The shower was very cold… my web site is with design from
                              > 1996 and I still type a code in most cases…but it didn't work at all on Ipad. No
                              > Java no flash, that means that majority of web sites I use to look at panoramas
                              > are not available. It was a useless device from the other planet…even my phone
                              > can run java and flash. Now I wonder why are you so enthusiastic with that; what
                              > can I say »only toy«…; and are wasting your energy to modify your web sites to
                              > that kind of device which seems too marginal? As an example Samsung Galaxy cost
                              > 3x less and as a 2 years 3G service for a 12 € a month even 10x less and runs
                              > all I need…I wish only the display of Ipad.
                              >
                              > Bostjan

                            • Bostjan Burger
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 28, 2011
                                My brother just came from Shanghai and said that he was surprised with the use
                                of hi tech there. People were with tablets everywhere – he was curious and
                                bought one model for a 90 Yuans, that is about 10 euros., that is less than a
                                snack in a town somewhere in Europe. It is a brand »G-PAD« huh never heard
                                about it… but I suppose that is the mainstream for which we need to modify our
                                work to be really seen.
                                I wasn't in larger cities last month, only a daily jump to Vienna which is I
                                suppose a cosmopolitan city but I didn't notice a single person with the
                                Ipad...maybe only a coinsidence.

                                ;) Bostjan

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 28, 2011
                                  On Jan 28, 2011, at 9:59 AM, Hans wrote:

                                  > I think I will get one of these for mine.
                                  > http://www.scottevest.com/company/ipad.shtml

                                  Ha, funny.
                                  I agree with everything Don said, but as case I recommend this: www.dodocase.com
                                  It does have an amazing low-key feel to it, allows me to take that iPad anywhere without attracting looks, sort of a stealth mode. And the wooden frame actually adds a whole lot of shock protection.

                                  Blochi

                                • Don Bain
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 28, 2011
                                    On Jan 28, 2011, at 6:39 PM, Christian Bloch wrote:
                                    > but as case I recommend this: www.dodocase.com
                                    > It does have an amazing low-key feel to it, allows me to take that iPad anywhere without attracting looks, sort of a stealth mode. And the wooden frame actually adds a whole lot of shock protection.

                                    There were probably more iPad cases and stands than any other type of merchandise at MacWorld Expo. There is one that looks just like an old leatherbound book. Others that look like scary orthodontic devices.

                                    Two or more companies were selling great big suction cups so you can hold an iPad in one hand or even wear it on your forearm. Goes along with the card scanners and inventory control programs that seem to be hot.

                                    There were also several cases that include a bluetooth keyboard in the flap, making the iPad instantly more like a traditional laptop.

                                    But I was looking for a MacBook Air case, and my main requirements were protection combined with modest size. What I ended up going with was very traditional:
                                    http://www.sfbags.com/products/racerx/racerx.htm
                                    Made to order in San Francisco, precisely sized to snugly fit the MBA 13.3", received it in in two days. It holds everything I need, but is half the size of my old LowePro laptop bag.
                                  • Andrew Nemeth
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 28, 2011
                                      On 29/01/2011, at 10:33 AM, "Don Bain" wrote:

                                      > I see iPads everywhere. People use iPads to read the newspaper on the subway - one of the biggest booths at the Expo was The New York Times. Corporations are replacing laptops and dedicated handheld devices with iPads and iPhones. This is not a marginal technology. When non-Apple tablets mature the sector will be even stronger.
                                      >
                                      > We have to recognize that VR is a marginal media type - Apple dropped QTVR, Microsoft never had a VR player, Flash is what we use now but Adobe doesn't know or care. We need to be nimble and look ahead if we want people to see our work.

                                      Don nailed it here and I completely agree. VR authors should look up from PTGui every now and then to see what the rest of the world is doing. Hint - it isn't VR =)

                                      Even here is technologically backward Australia there are iPads everywhere. Even the kids in the high school where I teach have them. Meanwhile iPad v2 is due to be announced in Feb and released in April...

                                      With this in mind I used some spare time during the school holidays to completely rewrite my website to use HTML5/ CSS3/ JQuery. I was also pleased to remove ever last trace of Flash.

                                      The good news is that HTML5 is much sleeker to code with than XHTML strict. It is also (surprisingly) much more old-browser friendly.

                                      The bad news is that there isn't a Webkit/ Firefox/ iOS cross-platform solution for VR playback yet. (No, KRPano doesn't fit the bill.)

                                      Am hoping that someone wakes up and makes a modern x-platform HTML5 soon.

                                      So... with the profusion of iOS devices about, I _strongly_ recommend VR authors start thinking about upgrading their sites.

                                      FWIW, grain-of-salt, YMMV etc.

                                      Andrew N.
                                      http://nemeng.com/
                                      Blue Mountains, Australia