Nikkor 10.5 - depth of field vs. diffraction

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 27, 2011
      Hi,
      I'm using a shaved Nikkor 10.5/2.8 fisheye on a Nikon D700. Sometimes, I have to shoot many panos in a short time and cannot change the focus setting. I need a fixed (taped) focus and a fix aperture-setting.

      Depth of field should be from 0.5 meters (20") to infinity.

      How far can I stop down, before diffraction kicks affects the sharpness?

      The dof-calulator at http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html tells me, that f/4 would be good enough, to get 0.46 meters to infinity, but I doubt that. It sounds to good to be true.

      Thanks for you advice
      Peter
    • Robert C. Fisher
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 27, 2011
        Usually on consumer lenses the sweet spot is 2-3 stops from either end
        of the aperature scale. I have been using the 10.5mm for years and I
        found through testing that focus just under infinity and f8-11 works
        for me. Sharp. the only thing not in focus is the tripod head but who
        cares about that. The only time I don't do that is in Really tight
        quarters, then I may focus on the farthest thing.

        BTW auto focus doesn't work at all with fisheye lenses, it always
        picks the wrong thing.

        On Jan 27, 2011, at 10:25 AM, Peter wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I'm using a shaved Nikkor 10.5/2.8 fisheye on a Nikon D700.
        > Sometimes, I have to shoot many panos in a short time and cannot
        > change the focus setting. I need a fixed (taped) focus and a fix
        > aperture-setting.
        >
        > Depth of field should be from 0.5 meters (20") to infinity.
        >
        > How far can I stop down, before diffraction kicks affects the
        > sharpness?
        >
        > The dof-calulator at http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html tells me,
        > that f/4 would be good enough, to get 0.46 meters to infinity, but I
        > doubt that. It sounds to good to be true.
        >
        > Thanks for you advice
        > Peter

        Cheers
        Robert C. Fisher
        VR Photography / Cinematography
        bob@...
        http://www.rcfisher.com
        Facebook - Robert C. Fisher

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 27, 2011
          Am 27.01.2011 19:25, schrieb Peter:
          > How far can I stop down, before diffraction kicks affects the
          > sharpness?
          >
          > The dof-calulator athttp://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html tells me,
          > that f/4 would be good enough, to get 0.46 meters to infinity, but I
          > doubt that. It sounds to good to be true.

          DoF calculators aren't made for zoomable images. See
          http://wiki.panotools.org/DOF for details. Furthermore fisheye DoF
          behaves a bit different. See
          http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Fisheyes_Focus/Focus_mapping.html
          for details.