What about using a laser level for an artificial horizon?

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 26, 2011
      Many times, shooting outdoors, there is no visible horizon
      that can be used to level the pano later.

      One way to deal with this is to drop a plum line in a few
      center row shots and use that for a vertical reference for
      leveling. But wind will always make that hard to do -- and
      there's always wind.

      So I was thinking of shooting the laser from a laser level
      in one or two or three shots of the center row and using
      that as a horizon. The replacing that image later with
      an image shot right afterward in the same place

      Before I go buy one to try it out, I wonder what you all think?
      I'll bet that some of you have already done this. Would it be visible enough?
      And the big question -- does it work?
    • paul womack
      Message 34 of 34 , Feb 2, 2011
        Ken Warner wrote:
        > [sigh] i mention monopods just to provoke your imagination. Tripods
        > also can move out of alignment during the shoot and as I have described
        > in other posts, shooting an anchor image is not always either
        > guaranteed to work or practical.

        Right - I wasn't suggesting an anchor image as part of the stitch.

        It you take a photograph with the camera level,
        you have a measure of the angle of the scene w.r.t gravity.

        If you like, the base edge of the image *IS* a reference level.

        After that, the camera/tripod can do what it likes.
        Since the orientation of some parts of the scene is a "known"

        BugBear