Image Deblurring using Inertial Measurement Sensors

  • Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 26, 2011
      Fascinating research/demo on removing blur from digital photos using
      capture-time measurements from gyros and accelerometers linked to, and
      calibrated with, the camera.

      http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/imudeblurring/

      Reminds me that even in a blurry mess, there's a lot of data there if
      you only have some hints to reconstruct it. I recall a paper (or
      demo?) I saw of deblurring typography - printed text - given hints as
      to what typeface was used and clues about the content (letter/word
      frequency analysis and other techniques).

      -R
    • Ron Rack
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 26, 2011
        You mean we can't already do this?!? I see it done all the time in
        movies! :-)

        ron rack

        http://360around.com
      • Greg Voisan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 26, 2011
          Isn't that what they do when cleaning up the shopping store parking lot
          video in those crime shows?

        • Christian Bloch
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 26, 2011
            Actually, yes. We do.
            For moving footage I had some limited success to reduce motion blur with the ReelSmart Motion Blur plugin.
            http://www.revisionfx.com/products/rsmb/
            Originally intended for adding motion blur, it derives motion vectors by tracking the footage. And you can also use this to reduce motion blur, recovering the image. Basically, do a directional sharpen. Not as perfect results as in this Microsoft paper, though...

            Oh, on the topic of information in defocus, check this out:
            http://web.media.mit.edu/~ankit/bokode/

            .Blochi

            On Jan 26, 2011, at 10:46 AM, Ron Rack wrote:

            > You mean we can't already do this?!? I see it done all the time in
            > movies! :-)
            >
            > ron rack
            >
            > http://360around.com

          • paul womack
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 27, 2011

              http://www.cs.ust.hk/~quan/publications/yuan-deblur-siggraph07.pdf

              > I recall a paper (or
              > demo?) I saw of deblurring typography - printed text - given hints as
              > to what typeface was used and clues about the content (letter/word
              > frequency analysis and other techniques).

              Couldn't find that - can you remember more?

              BugBear