Nikon D5000 and gigapixels...

  • enridp
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 22, 2011
      Hi! What is the equipment necessary for making gigapanoramas?

      I have been waiting the moment for my own gigapanos for a long time, and I think I must still waiting :(
      Because I found a cheap 300mm lens (near $100) but it's not AF-S, so with my D5000 I can't have autofocus.
      Is necessary the autofocus for shooting gigapixels?

      Regards!!!
      Enrique.
    • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 22, 2011
        Hola Enrique!

        2011/1/22 enridp <enridp@...>

        > Is necessary the autofocus for shooting gigapixels?

        Yo creo que un lente con autofocus te perjudicaría en lugar de ayudarte a la
        hora de tomar panoramas (yo fijo el foco del lente para la primera toma y no
        lo vuelvo a mover). Salvo que alguien con más experiencia te lo explique
        mejor, un gigapanorama representa un reto muy particular por la profundidad
        de campo del lente que planeas utilizar (por un buen motivo los
        gigapanoramas más grandes son de espacios exteriores). Cuando utilizas un
        zoom, a diferencia de un fisheye o un gran angular, tu profundidad de campo
        es muy reducida y, por lo tanto, se vuelve complicado capturar dentro de
        foco todos el panorama. Hay fotógrafos que hacen un "focus blending", pero
        yo nunca lo he intentado.

        Saludos

        --
        L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
        felipe@...

      • enridp
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 23, 2011
          Exactly, that's why I was thinking that for gigapanoramas we need autofocus, because we are using lenses with very poor DoF (lens from 200mm+).
          But for my camera I need AF-S lenses for autofocus and they are too expensive for me :(

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, L.D.I. Felipe B. González <felipe@...> wrote:

          > Hola Enrique!
          >
          > 2011/1/22 enridp <enridp@...>
          >

          > > Is necessary the autofocus for shooting gigapixels?
          > >
          > Yo creo que un lente con autofocus te perjudicaría en lugar de ayudarte a la
          > hora de tomar panoramas (yo fijo el foco del lente para la primera toma y no
          > lo vuelvo a mover). Salvo que alguien con más experiencia te lo explique
          > mejor, un gigapanorama representa un reto muy particular por la profundidad
          > de campo del lente que planeas utilizar (por un buen motivo los
          > gigapanoramas más grandes son de espacios exteriores). Cuando utilizas un
          > zoom, a diferencia de un fisheye o un gran angular, tu profundidad de campo
          > es muy reducida y, por lo tanto, se vuelve complicado capturar dentro de
          > foco todos el panorama. Hay fotógrafos que hacen un "focus blending", pero
          > yo nunca lo he intentado.
          >
          > Saludos
          >

          > --
          > L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
          > felipe@...
          > 1998-5246
          > www.fpk.com.mx
          > http://recorridosvirtualesmexico.blogspot.com/
          >
          > Socio Director Maquetas Virtuales www.maquetasvirtuales.com
          > Socio Director Recorridos Virtuales www.recorridosvirtuales.com

        • Bostjan Burger
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 23, 2011
            Why too expensive? With selling one gigapan you can afford a couple of them (?),
            why else doing a gigapan? The clean (no adds) server would cost you quite a
            money only for a hobby gigapans. With free hosting someone else would make a
            money on your work.

            :) Bostjan

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 23, 2011
              I don't have any buyer :(
              And the AF-S lenses costs aprox. U$S600, here in Argentina that's twice my salary :S
              But I don't know if it's necessary to use autofocus for gigapanos (I guess yes... but I hope not...)