Re: Hyperstereo pole panorama -- anaglyph

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 7, 2011
      this is a very extensive 2d/3d tour -- from the krpano forum
      http://www.jphd360.net/visites/LeFortdeBron/LeFortdeBron.html
      .. the depth is quite subdued in anaglyph but I am sure it looks great on a 3d display

      PeterM

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:

      > jrgen_schrader wrote:
      > > ....A nice scenery as well, but I see a huge amount of what Wim calls
      > > "pesty ghosts". Which is where the shapes of the red and/or green
      > > structures are visible around the objects.....
      >
      > Hello Jürgen, I agree, a very nice scene.
      > It must be great to live in such a vibrant city as Sydney, I was there in
      > december 1999 and I have walked on the same spot as this pano is shot. This
      > pano is helping me to remember how great the view is from here.
      >
      > IMO this panorama also shows why it can be very hard to make a good 3D pano.
      >
      > When you take a look at the man standing close to the blue borders and to
      > some tourist close by then it is obvious that the lens seperation of 20 cm
      > is to much. When looking at those close by objects I get severe eye stress
      > but when looking over the water to the high buildings far away then the
      > scene almost look flat and 2D in the background so instead of 20 cm 40 cm or
      > more would be better.
      > So for certain parts in this pano 20 cm is to much and for other parts it is
      > not enough.
      > Go figure....
      >
      > About the ghosts, I can see them too esspacially around the largest
      > inflatable objects and inside the Opera house.
      >
      > Peter knows how to tackle red/cyan ghosting and I have no doubts that he did
      > his best, perhaps his monitor is not well calibrated (or your and mine
      > monitor needs service ;-)
      >
      > In practice it is impossible to make a 3D anaglyph that is ghost free on all
      > monitors.
      > Ghosting is most times less visible when using the ColorCode 3D system but
      > the amber/blue viewers for it are not as common as the red/cyan ones.
      >
      > I have good hopes that in 5 yr or so this problem will be gone when a lot of
      > people (including us) will have real 3D monitors.
      > All panos we shoot now and are suffering from ghost problems when viewed as
      > anaglyph will then be looking great when we use the left and right eye panos
      > we are now using for making the anaglyphs.
      >
      > The future is bright and for sure in 3D :-))
      >
      > Wim

    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 7, 2011
        Here is what it looks like inside that inflatable structure (2)
        http://www.mediavr.com/mirazozointerior1.htm
        (the sort of subject where auto point finding fails utterly).
        These spaces will make very good stereo panos I think and I will try to do some soon -- using a twin camera motorized indexing construction for capture.

        Re the exterior 3d pano -- it was extremely dull and dark and at a higher iso which is source of the main ghosting issue apart from the depth range. Bringing up the shadows destroyed the highlight detail. I have been thinking for these kind of extensive views of public spaces where the architecture is important the higher the better mostly. I will try to shoot it with a higher pole in better light. Still I kinda like it as is for the way the people are spread out all over in different directions in little groups in 3d. The people act as a scale reference so you can see the depth where they are standing more clearly and quickly. Sometimes a 3d picture is so full of cues, including parallax, that the layout is apparent instantly. Sometimes it is a more extended process.

        PeterM

        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 8, 2011
          for further reference, there are many more here:
          http://sziget360.com/archives/venue/Luminarium

          -andras