Matthias Taugwalder Matterhorn Finalist in 2010 National Geographic Photo Contest

  • Paul Fretheim
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2011
      Congratulations Matthias on being awarded "Finalist" status on your
      Matterhorn image. I liked yours better than the Matterhorn and Cloud
      picture that was a "Winner."

      I always look to see if in the biographical section you will mention
      your great-great-grandfather and great-grandfather who were two of the
      first to ever ascend the peak and that they guided the famous British
      mountaineer, Edward Whymper, on that first ascent.

      My favorite entry was the one of the Great Gallery of Rock Art and the
      Milky Way. It seems to have been dropped from the gallery at the
      National Geographic site for some reason. I am pretty sure it was in
      week 3 of the places gallery.

      I think it would have been ranked higher if more people understood what
      it was a photo of. The pictograph at the right on the cliff wall is
      probably the finest example of ancient Native American rock art in
      existence. It maintains a powerful presence when you are there, even
      now, more than 2000 years after it was painted by an ancient, unknown
      Native artist. And the sky above the 700 foot deep canyon is an amazing
      touch and another example of a photo that could not have been made in
      the film days.

      Here is a link to it at my web site:

      http://inyopro.com/images/stars_and_horseshoe_canyon.jpg

      Paul Fretheim