Updating Prof. Dr. Dersch's PTViewerNG WebGL example for Firefox 4 beta 8 ?

  • Jan Martin
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 4, 2011
      Hi all,

      I noticed that the WebGL demo page at

      http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html

      does not work anymore with Firefox 4.0 beta 8 (on Ubuntu 10.4).

      So far I replaced 2 strings:
      WebGLFloatArray with Float32Array
      and
      WebGLUnsignedShortArray with Uint16Array

      which seem to help.

      API changes: http://learningwebgl.com/blog/?p=2566

      But I am still getting another error 6 times (From the 6 cube faces?):

      09:31:33.943: Exception: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Not enough
      arguments" nsresult: "0x80570001 (NS_ERROR_XPC_NOT_ENOUGH_ARGS)" location:
      "JS frame ::
      http://www.diy-streetview.org/data/development/20110104/js/ptviewerng.js ::
      handleLoadedTexture :: line 132" data: no] Source File: Line: 0, Column: 0
      Category: content javascript

      CODE:
      130 function handleLoadedTexture(image, texture) {
      131 gl.bindTexture(gl.TEXTURE_2D, texture);
      132 gl.texImage2D(gl.TEXTURE_2D, 0, image);

      Whats wrong?

      Please find my test page here:
      http://www.diy-streetview.org/data/development/20110104/PTViewerNG.html

      1.5 MB zip file including everything:
      http://diy-streetview.org/data/development/20110104/webGL_for_FF40b8.zip

      When opening the page with Google Chromium 10.0.625.0 (70292) Ubuntu 10.04

      I get this error:
      ERROR: 0:2: '' : No precision specified for (float)
      Could not initialise shaders

      Help please?

      Thanks,
      Jan

    • Wim Koornneef
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 4, 2011
        Hello Jan,

        It will not help you much but on my system with OSX 10.6.5 and Minefield
        browser (beta for FireFox) both demo WebGL panos are running fine. You tried
        it with 2 different browsers so I guess the errors you get are related with
        Ubuntu 10.4. Unfortunately I can't help you with Linux related issues.

        Success in solving this issue,
        Wim
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 4, 2011
          Wim,

          what is the version of you Firefox?
          4.0b8?

          Jan

          On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...>wrote:

          > Hello Jan,
          >
          > It will not help you much but on my system with OSX 10.6.5 and Minefield
          > browser (beta for FireFox) both demo WebGL panos are running fine. You
          > tried
          > it with 2 different browsers so I guess the errors you get are related with
          > Ubuntu 10.4. Unfortunately I can't help you with Linux related issues.
          >
          > Success in solving this issue,
          > Wim

          http://www.DIY-streetview.org

        • Wim Koornneef
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 4, 2011
            Jan Martin-2 wrote:
            > ....what is the version of you Firefox?...

            Hello Jan,

            I use MineField 4.0b2pre.
            I suggest you install this version and try it on your system (after enabling
            WebGL).

            Success,
            Wim
          • Jan Martin
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 4, 2011
              Thanks for the feedback Wim.

              The change to WebGL seems to be rather recent.
              It might be that your 4.0b2pre is so old that it still works.

              Does it work for anyone using Firefox 4.0 Beta 8?
              or Google Chromium 10?

              Please test
              http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html<http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/%7Edersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html>

              and

              On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...>wrote:

              > Jan Martin-2 wrote:
              > > ....what is the version of you Firefox?...
              >
              > Hello Jan,
              >
              > I use MineField 4.0b2pre.
              > I suggest you install this version and try it on your system (after
              > enabling
              > WebGL).
              >
              > Success,
              > Wim

              http://www.DIY-streetview.org

            • Carlos Chegado - carloschegado.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 4, 2011
                Jan,

                Using FF 4.0b8 on windows xp, doesn't work for me!

                Os melhores cumprimentos,
                Best regards,

                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                Carlos Chegado

                Olho de Peixe Lda
                Rua Miguel Pais, 48 - B, 2830-356 Barreiro, Portugal
                Tel: (+351) 210 88 91 92, Fax: (+351) 210 88 91 99

                || Skype: carloschegado || facebook.com/carloschegado ||
                twitter.com/carloschegado ||

                www.xprints.com ||

                || 360cities.net/profile/carlos-chegado || ivrpa.org/user/2153 ||

                On 04-01-2011 13:27, Jan Martin wrote:
                > Thanks for the feedback Wim.
                >
                > The change to WebGL seems to be rather recent.
                > It might be that your 4.0b2pre is so old that it still works.
                >
                > Does it work for anyone using Firefox 4.0 Beta 8?
                > or Google Chromium 10?
                >
                > Please test
                > http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html<http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/%7Edersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html>
                >
                > and
                > http://www.diy-streetview.org/data/development/20110104/PTViewerNG.html
                >

                > Thanks,
                > Jan

              • Isaac Garcia
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 5, 2011
                  Using FF 4b8/Vista x64 and not working (with your test I do get a black
                  square, at least)

                  Cheers.

                  On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Carlos Chegado - carloschegado.com <
                  mail@...> wrote:

                  > Jan,
                  >
                  > Using FF 4.0b8 on windows xp, doesn't work for me!
                  >
                  > Os melhores cumprimentos,
                  > Best regards,
                  >
                  > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  >
                  > Carlos Chegado
                  >
                  > Olho de Peixe Lda
                  > Rua Miguel Pais, 48 - B, 2830-356 Barreiro, Portugal
                  > Tel: (+351) 210 88 91 92, Fax: (+351) 210 88 91 99
                  >
                  > || Skype: carloschegado || facebook.com/carloschegado ||
                  > twitter.com/carloschegado ||

                  > www.xprints.com ||
                  >
                  > || 360cities.net/profile/carlos-chegado || ivrpa.org/user/2153 ||
                  >

                  > On 04-01-2011 13:27, Jan Martin wrote:
                  > > Thanks for the feedback Wim.
                  > >
                  > > The change to WebGL seems to be rather recent.
                  > > It might be that your 4.0b2pre is so old that it still works.
                  > >
                  > > Does it work for anyone using Firefox 4.0 Beta 8?
                  > > or Google Chromium 10?
                  > >
                  > > Please test
                  > > http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html<http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/%7Edersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html>
                  > <http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/%7Edersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html>
                  > >
                  > > and
                  > > http://www.diy-streetview.org/data/development/20110104/PTViewerNG.html
                  > >

                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Jan

                  Isaac García

                  http://www.coletassoft.com
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/coletassoft
                  http://www.facebook.com/coletassoft
                  http://twitter.com/coletassoft
                  http://coletassoft.tumblr.com/
                  http://coletassoft.deviantART.com

                  JFGI | RTFM

                • Jan Martin
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 5, 2011
                    Thanks for the testing.

                    Anyone interested in updating it, to make it work again?
                    It's not in my skill-set.

                    Thanks,
                    Jan

                    On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 10:59 PM, Isaac Garcia <coletassoft@...> wrote:

                    > Using FF 4b8/Vista x64 and not working (with your test I do get a black
                    > square, at least)
                    >
                    > Cheers.
                    >

                    > On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Carlos Chegado - carloschegado.com <
                    > mail@... <mail%40carloschegado.com>> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Jan,
                    > >
                    > > Using FF 4.0b8 on windows xp, doesn't work for me!
                    > >
                    > > Os melhores cumprimentos,
                    > > Best regards,
                    > >
                    > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    > >
                    > > Carlos Chegado
                    > >
                    > > Olho de Peixe Lda
                    > > Rua Miguel Pais, 48 - B, 2830-356 Barreiro, Portugal
                    > > Tel: (+351) 210 88 91 92, Fax: (+351) 210 88 91 99
                    > >
                    > > || Skype: carloschegado || facebook.com/carloschegado ||
                    > > twitter.com/carloschegado ||
                    > >
                    > > || Fotografia 360� �� www.carloschegado.com || www.olhodepeixe.pt ||
                    > > www.xprints.com ||
                    > >
                    > > || 360cities.net/profile/carlos-chegado || ivrpa.org/user/2153 ||
                    > >

                    > > On 04-01-2011 13:27, Jan Martin wrote:
                    > > > Thanks for the feedback Wim.
                    > > >
                    > > > The change to WebGL seems to be rather recent.
                    > > > It might be that your 4.0b2pre is so old that it still works.
                    > > >
                    > > > Does it work for anyone using Firefox 4.0 Beta 8?
                    > > > or Google Chromium 10?
                    > > >
                    > > > Please test
                    > > > http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html<http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/%7Edersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html>
                    > <http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/%7Edersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html>
                    > > <http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/%7Edersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html>
                    > > >
                    > > > and
                    > > >
                    > http://www.diy-streetview.org/data/development/20110104/PTViewerNG.html
                    > > >

                    > > > Thanks,
                    > > > Jan

                    > > --
                    > >

                    > --
                    > Isaac Garc�a
                    >
                    > http://www.coletassoft.com
                    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/coletassoft
                    > http://www.facebook.com/coletassoft
                    > http://twitter.com/coletassoft
                    > http://coletassoft.tumblr.com/
                    > http://coletassoft.deviantART.com
                    >
                    > JFGI | RTFM

                  • ahoeben41
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 6, 2011

                      > API changes: http://learningwebgl.com/blog/?p=2566

                      From the same site, here's another important tidbit:
                      http://learningwebgl.com/blog/?p=2507

                      You have to add "precision highp float;" to the top of your fragment shader, and you have to change the syntax of gl.texImage2D

                      I am still not getting anything but a black square, but no more errors...

                      'do
                    • Jan Martin
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 6, 2011
                        Hi Aldo,

                        Please post all the code changes you made.

                        Thanks,
                        Jan

                        --
                        http://www.DIY-streetview.org

                      • ahoeben41
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 10, 2011
                          Once I had found that Firefox has an error console (duh...), the last steps to get PTViewerNG working again were pretty straightforward.

                          http://files.fieldofview.com/temp/ptvng/
                          Changes:
                          http://files.fieldofview.com/temp/ptvng/ptviewerng.patch
                          Archive:
                          http://files.fieldofview.com/temp/ptvng/ptviewerng.zip

                          This should work on Firefox 4 beta 8 (and newer) out of the box.

                          In WebGL, textures that do not have power-of-two dimensions don't support mipmapping, so I had to turn that off. Non-power-of-two textures also need to have edge clamping turned on. A bonus of turning on edge-clamping is that there should no longer be any visible seams between faces, without having to create overlapping faces. Please test and report of that's actually true.

                          'do

                          PS: I don't know when Wim's image became the defacto PTViewerNG default image, but I have added a creditline in the html. Wim, if you have a problem with this, I'll replace your image with one of my own.
                        • Wim Koornneef
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 10, 2011
                            ahoeben41 wrote:
                            > ....I don't know when Wim's image became the defacto PTViewerNG default
                            > image, but I have added a creditline in the html. Wim, if you have a
                            > problem with this, I'll replace your image with one of my own.....

                            Hello Aldo,

                            Thanks for fixing the broken script. I am sure this is saving Prof. Dersch a
                            lot of work.

                            About the default PTViewerNG image, this is still the panorama of the castle
                            of Marburg, shot by the prof himself.....

                            My panorama is an example of WebGL placed on the DIY streetview forum of Jan
                            Martin.
                            The layout of the HTML page of my panorama is exactly the same, Jan only
                            replaced the images.
                            I have no problems at all it that you used it for a demo of the repaired
                            script.

                            Thanks again,
                            Wim
                          • Jan Martin
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 10, 2011
                              Hi Aldo,

                              great job.
                              I can confirm this works well with Firefox 4.0 beta 8 on Ubuntu 10.4.1.

                              Thanks for adding a credit line for Wim.
                              Regarding your own credit line: It's 2011 already!

                              About "mipmapping".
                              My understanding is that for compatibility with flash players each cubeface
                              needs to be a pixel larger then needed? It's important to stay compatible
                              with tools like EquirectangularToCubic, maintained by Marek Standio at as
                              part of SaladoConverter over at
                              http://panozona.com/wiki/SaladoConverter#EquirectangularToCubic .
                              No one likes to have 2 sets of cubefaces, one for flash and one for webGL.

                              Prof Dr. Dersch mailed me that he tries to find time to do fixing starting
                              end of January.
                              I guess he now has the opportunity to spend his time on more interesting
                              stuff.

                              My personal wish-list:

                              1) PTStitcherNG
                              2) PTStitcherNG
                              3) PTStitcherNG

                              Please find a new page showing the webGL player here:
                              http://www.diy-streetview.org/data/development/20110110/

                              The streetview shown has been taken with a rig from the design contest:
                              http://www.diy-streetview.org/2010/11/18/gopro-hd-streetview-rig-design-contest/

                              Cameras arranges like shown in the last image using a plywood makeshift rig.
                              Template will be fixed once I receive the new base for the rig to
                              permanently arrange the cameras.

                              In Google Chromium 10.0.629.0 (70587) Ubuntu 10.04 the "-" key to zoom out
                              did not work.

                              Replacing
                              var zoomOutKeys = [ 109 ];
                              by
                              var zoomOutKeys = [ 109, 189 ];
                              in ptviewerng.js fixes this.

                              I also changed the fov:
                              from
                              var fov = 45;
                              var fov = 70;
                              in ptviewerng.js

                              I understand 70 is the "industry standard"?
                              We now can start adding a flash/webGL switch and tons of configruation
                              options like the other players have. ;)

                              Jan

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 11, 2011
                                > Regarding your own credit line: It's 2011 already!

                                They don't call me "'doh!" for nothing... (or, as Thomas will quote me: "not very bright"...)

                                > About "mipmapping".
                                > My understanding is that for compatibility with flash players each cubeface
                                > needs to be a pixel larger then needed? It's important to stay compatible
                                > with tools like EquirectangularToCubic,

                                Please, lord, for all that is good in the world, NO!

                                Let's *not* start making "special cubefaces" because some players are having technical difficulties to support proper 90 degree cubefaces. If Flash-based viewers need extra pixels to display the panoramas properly, then by all means let those viewers add these extra pixels on the fly (that's what SPi-V did anyway) and DON'T start creating images that will be obsolete when the viewers start supporting proper cubefaces (at which point we will have to dumb down the viewers in order to display the images properly, or you have to recreate all those cubefaces). It's either cubefaces, or no cubefaces!

                                Note that this has nothing to do with mipmapping per se.

                                'do