RE: [PanoToolsNG] Re: New PC?

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 38 , Jan 3, 2011
      http://tinyurl.com/2vbb8wg

      I got a pretty good deal at the time it looks like. 8 GB ram, geoforce 940
      for $859.

      Even with only 8 GB it was a SERIOUS upgrade from a core 2 duo. A tenth of
      the time for all tasks.

      Looks like the configurations are constantly changing so your milage may
      vary.

      -sacha

      Message 38 of 38 , Jan 8, 2011
        I've just remembered that pci-based SSD's are even faster....

        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227597 $250, 80GB pci-e SSD.
        the bandwidth 1GB/s (instead of 3Gb/s normal SATA ssd) that's 1 gigaBYTE/second compared to 3 gigaBITS/second of a "normal" ssd. in real terms it seems to be 500GB/sec transfer vs. 180GB/s

        i would be curious what this would translate exactly in terms of the largest pano that could be stitched, keeping all the temp files on this SSD. Or, if it would be best to use this as the boot drive, or as temp (with the boot drive using a "normal ssd"

        then again, I wonder how much longer we need to worry about it in this way - isn't GPU-based stitching just around the corner? ;-)