Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: New PC?

  • Jan Martin
    Message 1 of 38 , Jan 3, 2011
      Hi all,

      over at the hugin-ptx mailing list I suggested to add a new tab to
      automatically evaluate hardware:

      https://blueprints.launchpad.net/hugin/+spec/speed-test-tab

      Hugin Speed Test tab for automatic hardware evaluation.

      To pick the right hardware for hugin one needs to know what performance one
      will get.
      For this we create a new "Speed Test" tab: On a server have a few sets of
      images and .pto files for common cases. Automatically download them, stitch
      and upload the test results (not the stitched image) together with
      automatically determined hardware and Operating System specifications to a
      website for all to see. This will make picking new hardware so much easier.

      What do you think of this idea?

      Jan

    • prague
      Message 38 of 38 , Jan 8, 2011
        I've just remembered that pci-based SSD's are even faster....

        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227597 $250, 80GB pci-e SSD.
        the bandwidth 1GB/s (instead of 3Gb/s normal SATA ssd) that's 1 gigaBYTE/second compared to 3 gigaBITS/second of a "normal" ssd. in real terms it seems to be 500GB/sec transfer vs. 180GB/s

        i would be curious what this would translate exactly in terms of the largest pano that could be stitched, keeping all the temp files on this SSD. Or, if it would be best to use this as the boot drive, or as temp (with the boot drive using a "normal ssd"

        then again, I wonder how much longer we need to worry about it in this way - isn't GPU-based stitching just around the corner? ;-)