RE: [PanoToolsNG] Re: New PC?

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 38 , Jan 3, 2011
      You may wish to try dell refurbished for some serious discounts.

      I got an dell xps 8 core for $950 8 gb, that's 10x faster than my last

      Haven't yet ran into a project that stressed it out and the case is my
      favorite part. Additional usbs/media input ports conveniently located on the
      top front.

      Message 38 of 38 , Jan 8, 2011
        I've just remembered that pci-based SSD's are even faster....

        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227597 $250, 80GB pci-e SSD.
        the bandwidth 1GB/s (instead of 3Gb/s normal SATA ssd) that's 1 gigaBYTE/second compared to 3 gigaBITS/second of a "normal" ssd. in real terms it seems to be 500GB/sec transfer vs. 180GB/s

        i would be curious what this would translate exactly in terms of the largest pano that could be stitched, keeping all the temp files on this SSD. Or, if it would be best to use this as the boot drive, or as temp (with the boot drive using a "normal ssd"

        then again, I wonder how much longer we need to worry about it in this way - isn't GPU-based stitching just around the corner? ;-)