Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: New PC?

  • mrjimbo
    Message 1 of 38 , Jan 3, 2011
      Hey Jeff,
      Could we go inside that a bit.. I am looking at building one (soon as in within a month or so.....I just cooked one) and am trying to figure out what I'm going to do.. So it would be constructive ...at least for me.. My budget isn't limitless so it's not going to be the ultimate machine but I need a real workhorse plain and simple. Ram is quite expensive if you make the leap all at one time so I'm looking at deferring over 16 GB but use 8GB modules so I can grow it....(at least that's my present thoughts).. Their are several 4 core xeons available so I'm sorting thru that now.. The machine that cooked was a xeon work station (2x dual core) and I really liked it and am getting parts to fix it (board and video card) but it's time to move forward. I will admit to being drawn to xeon as I've been using them now for 12 years and while their not the fanciest chip on the planet their a work horse.. I have several 2x single core precision work stations here.. I am ready to move to a 2x quad core per machine.. (6 and 8 core tech is way to rich for my blood).. As far as Ram goes you can take that stuff up to the sun today.. I've seen boards with 12 slots (144GB) but no way could I afford to fill them as soon as you go over 8GB modules you need to trade your first born for them..
      I've had a few gaming PC's thru the years and am not a fan of them from my own experience (longetivity, overheating and replacement parts).. SO the machine that was posted to me was a turn off due to bad experiences with that stuff on my side . So I have kinda of stuck with workstation / server type machines.
      Anyway, I figure my file size requirements will always pale to yours but none the less your input and thoughts would really be appreciated. Considering that ... and budgets..... might it be a worthwhile thing to talk about the ultimate needs and then also as close as one can get on a budget of sorts..

      jimbo

      Message 38 of 38 , Jan 8, 2011
        I've just remembered that pci-based SSD's are even faster....

        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227597 $250, 80GB pci-e SSD.
        the bandwidth 1GB/s (instead of 3Gb/s normal SATA ssd) that's 1 gigaBYTE/second compared to 3 gigaBITS/second of a "normal" ssd. in real terms it seems to be 500GB/sec transfer vs. 180GB/s

        i would be curious what this would translate exactly in terms of the largest pano that could be stitched, keeping all the temp files on this SSD. Or, if it would be best to use this as the boot drive, or as temp (with the boot drive using a "normal ssd"

        then again, I wonder how much longer we need to worry about it in this way - isn't GPU-based stitching just around the corner? ;-)