Re: New PC?

  • prague
    Message 1 of 38 , Jan 3, 2011
      with maximum 16gb ram? no thanks!!!

      > That is really a monster -- but what are you (or someone) doing
      > that needs all that muscle? Gigapanos -- world climate models -- what?
      >
      > Paul Fretheim wrote:
      > > Here is a link to a barebones kit from Tiger Direct that may be
      > > interesting. I think it is cooler looking than the Costco unit somebody
      > > posted about recently. The Costco unit had more RAM, but only had a 350
      > > watt power supply, which is not adequate. This one is liquid cooled and
      > > can be overclocked on the fly.
      > >
      > > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6951361&SRCCODE=WEM2538BY&cm_mmc=email-_-Main-_-WEM2538-_-tigeremail
      > >
      > > I would still probably prefer to buy individual components and assemble
      > > the unit myself, but this barebones looks like a decent deal.
      > >
      > > Paul Fretheim

    • prague
      Message 38 of 38 , Jan 8, 2011
        I've just remembered that pci-based SSD's are even faster....

        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227597 $250, 80GB pci-e SSD.
        the bandwidth 1GB/s (instead of 3Gb/s normal SATA ssd) that's 1 gigaBYTE/second compared to 3 gigaBITS/second of a "normal" ssd. in real terms it seems to be 500GB/sec transfer vs. 180GB/s

        i would be curious what this would translate exactly in terms of the largest pano that could be stitched, keeping all the temp files on this SSD. Or, if it would be best to use this as the boot drive, or as temp (with the boot drive using a "normal ssd"

        then again, I wonder how much longer we need to worry about it in this way - isn't GPU-based stitching just around the corner? ;-)