Re: Another attempt on 3D

  • Wim Koornneef
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
      Hello Jürgen,

      For sure that is a nice 3D pano of a beautiful scene.
      I can't see a split trunk, perhaps it is only clearly visible on certain
      monitors.

      A suggestion, I see some stereo window violation on the branches ( the ones
      with a lot of snow hanging over the walking path in the opening view)
      causing stress when viewing for some time, perhaps you can move the zero
      stereo point a bit forward from the trunk to halfway the branches to reduce
      this a bit.

      The flipping colors that Erik is mentioning is something that I am familiar
      with, it occurs whenever the background is more or less equal of color and
      is of no importance.
      Here is a 100% (or more) crop of one of my 3D panos where this flipping is
      very extreme: http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/mirorring_red_cyan_colors.jpg

      I guess you shot this with a single cam, can you share the specs, forward
      out of NPP shift, number of images and any other thing worth mentioning ?

      Keep on posting as I like to see more of those nice 3D panos.

      Best,
      Wim
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
        Wim Koornneef wrote:
        > ....perhaps you can move the zero stereo point a bit forward from the
        > trunk to halfway the branches to reduce this a bit....

        I made a typo, I meant "zero parallax point" instead of "zero stereo point".
        Wim
      • jrgen_schrader
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2011
          Thanks for your suggestion, Wim.
          I had expected this violation because I knew that some objects would be too close to the camera to get near and far adjusted perfectly.
          So I tried to find a compromise where the silhouettes are not too obvious.
          By moving the stereo point do you mean I should try what you called smart masks in your tutorial?

          I used the Tokina 10-7 at 12mm and 30 images. The Npp offset was about 3 cm, I can't tell exactly because I don't have a mark for that on my panoramic head since for regular panoramas I only use it with a ring.

          Best
          Jürgen

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:

          > Hello Jürgen,
          >
          > For sure that is a nice 3D pano of a beautiful scene.
          > I can't see a split trunk, perhaps it is only clearly visible on certain
          > monitors.
          >
          > A suggestion, I see some stereo window violation on the branches ( the ones
          > with a lot of snow hanging over the walking path in the opening view)
          > causing stress when viewing for some time, perhaps you can move the zero
          > stereo point a bit forward from the trunk to halfway the branches to reduce
          > this a bit.
          >
          > The flipping colors that Erik is mentioning is something that I am familiar
          > with, it occurs whenever the background is more or less equal of color and
          > is of no importance.
          > Here is a 100% (or more) crop of one of my 3D panos where this flipping is
          > very extreme: http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/mirorring_red_cyan_colors.jpg
          >
          > I guess you shot this with a single cam, can you share the specs, forward
          > out of NPP shift, number of images and any other thing worth mentioning ?
          >
          > Keep on posting as I like to see more of those nice 3D panos.
          >
          > Best,
          > Wim

        • Wim Koornneef
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 2011
            jrgen_schrader wrote:
            > ....By moving the stereo point do you mean I should try what you called
            > smart masks in your tutorial?...

            Hello Jürgen,

            No, I don't mean using a smart mask (although that could possible help to
            avoid some eye stress in zenith), what I mean is that you shift the left and
            right images in StereoPhoto Maker in such a way that the zero parallax point
            is set close to the end of the branches and not in the trunk as it is now.

            It is easiest to set the zero parallax point without using a red/cyan
            viewer, first you pick a zero parallax point and then you shift the images
            until you see no color fringes at the chosen point.
            For this is best to view the anaglyph at 100%. The width and distance of the
            color fringes will increase from zero at the chosen point to a maximum at
            objects in the back of the scene.

            If you want to reduce the eye stress in zenith as much as possible without
            using a smart mask then it is best to set the zero parallax point at the end
            of the branches and not somewhere between the end and the trunk.
            If you set the zero parallax point at the end of the branches then you miss
            the "popping out of the screen" 3D effect of the branches but it could be
            very well that this will improve the overall quality in such a way that it
            is a good trade off.
            You have to try it out and see what works best.

            BTW, I think you have chosen the right number of images and the proper NPP
            forward shift, the 3D depth is really good and both me and Margriet like
            your forest pano a lot.

            Wim