Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Another attempt on 3D

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2011
      Am 02.01.2011 19:36, schrieb jrgen_schrader:

      > Erik, which bottom part do you mean?

      A foreground tree trunk opposite of the initial view. If you view it
      without anaglyph glasses the fringes change color shortly above the ground.

    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2, 2011
        One way to quickly detect stereo glitches is to turn the stereo pair into a wiggle movie. For critical work I find projection stereo with shutter glasses or polarizing glasses shows up errors most clearly. I use a DLP projector for this with shutter glasses with an OpenGl graphics card with glPanoram_VFX3D_stereo viewer
        http://www.gali-3d.com/archive/articles/VFX3D_headtracking/Headtracking.php

        PeterM

        > Am 02.01.2011 19:36, schrieb jrgen_schrader:
        >
        > > Erik, which bottom part do you mean?
        >
        > A foreground tree trunk opposite of the initial view. If you view it
        > without anaglyph glasses the fringes change color shortly above the ground.
        >
        > --
        > Erik Krause

      • Wim Koornneef
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
          Hello Jürgen,

          For sure that is a nice 3D pano of a beautiful scene.
          I can't see a split trunk, perhaps it is only clearly visible on certain
          monitors.

          A suggestion, I see some stereo window violation on the branches ( the ones
          with a lot of snow hanging over the walking path in the opening view)
          causing stress when viewing for some time, perhaps you can move the zero
          stereo point a bit forward from the trunk to halfway the branches to reduce
          this a bit.

          The flipping colors that Erik is mentioning is something that I am familiar
          with, it occurs whenever the background is more or less equal of color and
          is of no importance.
          Here is a 100% (or more) crop of one of my 3D panos where this flipping is
          very extreme: http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/mirorring_red_cyan_colors.jpg

          I guess you shot this with a single cam, can you share the specs, forward
          out of NPP shift, number of images and any other thing worth mentioning ?

          Keep on posting as I like to see more of those nice 3D panos.

          Best,
          Wim
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
            Wim Koornneef wrote:
            > ....perhaps you can move the zero stereo point a bit forward from the
            > trunk to halfway the branches to reduce this a bit....

            I made a typo, I meant "zero parallax point" instead of "zero stereo point".
            Wim
          • jrgen_schrader
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 4, 2011
              Thanks for your suggestion, Wim.
              I had expected this violation because I knew that some objects would be too close to the camera to get near and far adjusted perfectly.
              So I tried to find a compromise where the silhouettes are not too obvious.
              By moving the stereo point do you mean I should try what you called smart masks in your tutorial?

              I used the Tokina 10-7 at 12mm and 30 images. The Npp offset was about 3 cm, I can't tell exactly because I don't have a mark for that on my panoramic head since for regular panoramas I only use it with a ring.

              Best
              Jürgen

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:

              > Hello Jürgen,
              >
              > For sure that is a nice 3D pano of a beautiful scene.
              > I can't see a split trunk, perhaps it is only clearly visible on certain
              > monitors.
              >
              > A suggestion, I see some stereo window violation on the branches ( the ones
              > with a lot of snow hanging over the walking path in the opening view)
              > causing stress when viewing for some time, perhaps you can move the zero
              > stereo point a bit forward from the trunk to halfway the branches to reduce
              > this a bit.
              >
              > The flipping colors that Erik is mentioning is something that I am familiar
              > with, it occurs whenever the background is more or less equal of color and
              > is of no importance.
              > Here is a 100% (or more) crop of one of my 3D panos where this flipping is
              > very extreme: http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/mirorring_red_cyan_colors.jpg
              >
              > I guess you shot this with a single cam, can you share the specs, forward
              > out of NPP shift, number of images and any other thing worth mentioning ?
              >
              > Keep on posting as I like to see more of those nice 3D panos.
              >
              > Best,
              > Wim

            • Wim Koornneef
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 4, 2011
                jrgen_schrader wrote:
                > ....By moving the stereo point do you mean I should try what you called
                > smart masks in your tutorial?...

                Hello Jürgen,

                No, I don't mean using a smart mask (although that could possible help to
                avoid some eye stress in zenith), what I mean is that you shift the left and
                right images in StereoPhoto Maker in such a way that the zero parallax point
                is set close to the end of the branches and not in the trunk as it is now.

                It is easiest to set the zero parallax point without using a red/cyan
                viewer, first you pick a zero parallax point and then you shift the images
                until you see no color fringes at the chosen point.
                For this is best to view the anaglyph at 100%. The width and distance of the
                color fringes will increase from zero at the chosen point to a maximum at
                objects in the back of the scene.

                If you want to reduce the eye stress in zenith as much as possible without
                using a smart mask then it is best to set the zero parallax point at the end
                of the branches and not somewhere between the end and the trunk.
                If you set the zero parallax point at the end of the branches then you miss
                the "popping out of the screen" 3D effect of the branches but it could be
                very well that this will improve the overall quality in such a way that it
                is a good trade off.
                You have to try it out and see what works best.

                BTW, I think you have chosen the right number of images and the proper NPP
                forward shift, the 3D depth is really good and both me and Margriet like
                your forest pano a lot.

                Wim