Re: Another attempt on 3D

  • jrgen_schrader
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2011
      Thank you all for your kind words.
      I will have a look into the issues I mentioned and keep you updated.

      Erik, which bottom part do you mean? The logo or snow. In either case nothing was changed, but as we know anaglyphs may do funny things when it comes to zenit and nadirs, though.

      Best
      Jürgen

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2, 2011
        Am 02.01.2011 19:36, schrieb jrgen_schrader:

        > Erik, which bottom part do you mean?

        A foreground tree trunk opposite of the initial view. If you view it
        without anaglyph glasses the fringes change color shortly above the ground.

      • panovrx
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2011
          One way to quickly detect stereo glitches is to turn the stereo pair into a wiggle movie. For critical work I find projection stereo with shutter glasses or polarizing glasses shows up errors most clearly. I use a DLP projector for this with shutter glasses with an OpenGl graphics card with glPanoram_VFX3D_stereo viewer
          http://www.gali-3d.com/archive/articles/VFX3D_headtracking/Headtracking.php

          PeterM

          > Am 02.01.2011 19:36, schrieb jrgen_schrader:
          >
          > > Erik, which bottom part do you mean?
          >
          > A foreground tree trunk opposite of the initial view. If you view it
          > without anaglyph glasses the fringes change color shortly above the ground.
          >
          > --
          > Erik Krause

        • Wim Koornneef
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
            Hello Jürgen,

            For sure that is a nice 3D pano of a beautiful scene.
            I can't see a split trunk, perhaps it is only clearly visible on certain
            monitors.

            A suggestion, I see some stereo window violation on the branches ( the ones
            with a lot of snow hanging over the walking path in the opening view)
            causing stress when viewing for some time, perhaps you can move the zero
            stereo point a bit forward from the trunk to halfway the branches to reduce
            this a bit.

            The flipping colors that Erik is mentioning is something that I am familiar
            with, it occurs whenever the background is more or less equal of color and
            is of no importance.
            Here is a 100% (or more) crop of one of my 3D panos where this flipping is
            very extreme: http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/mirorring_red_cyan_colors.jpg

            I guess you shot this with a single cam, can you share the specs, forward
            out of NPP shift, number of images and any other thing worth mentioning ?

            Keep on posting as I like to see more of those nice 3D panos.

            Best,
            Wim
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
              Wim Koornneef wrote:
              > ....perhaps you can move the zero stereo point a bit forward from the
              > trunk to halfway the branches to reduce this a bit....

              I made a typo, I meant "zero parallax point" instead of "zero stereo point".
              Wim
            • jrgen_schrader
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 4, 2011
                Thanks for your suggestion, Wim.
                I had expected this violation because I knew that some objects would be too close to the camera to get near and far adjusted perfectly.
                So I tried to find a compromise where the silhouettes are not too obvious.
                By moving the stereo point do you mean I should try what you called smart masks in your tutorial?

                I used the Tokina 10-7 at 12mm and 30 images. The Npp offset was about 3 cm, I can't tell exactly because I don't have a mark for that on my panoramic head since for regular panoramas I only use it with a ring.

                Best
                Jürgen

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:

                > Hello Jürgen,
                >
                > For sure that is a nice 3D pano of a beautiful scene.
                > I can't see a split trunk, perhaps it is only clearly visible on certain
                > monitors.
                >
                > A suggestion, I see some stereo window violation on the branches ( the ones
                > with a lot of snow hanging over the walking path in the opening view)
                > causing stress when viewing for some time, perhaps you can move the zero
                > stereo point a bit forward from the trunk to halfway the branches to reduce
                > this a bit.
                >
                > The flipping colors that Erik is mentioning is something that I am familiar
                > with, it occurs whenever the background is more or less equal of color and
                > is of no importance.
                > Here is a 100% (or more) crop of one of my 3D panos where this flipping is
                > very extreme: http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/mirorring_red_cyan_colors.jpg
                >
                > I guess you shot this with a single cam, can you share the specs, forward
                > out of NPP shift, number of images and any other thing worth mentioning ?
                >
                > Keep on posting as I like to see more of those nice 3D panos.
                >
                > Best,
                > Wim

              • Wim Koornneef
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 4, 2011
                  jrgen_schrader wrote:
                  > ....By moving the stereo point do you mean I should try what you called
                  > smart masks in your tutorial?...

                  Hello Jürgen,

                  No, I don't mean using a smart mask (although that could possible help to
                  avoid some eye stress in zenith), what I mean is that you shift the left and
                  right images in StereoPhoto Maker in such a way that the zero parallax point
                  is set close to the end of the branches and not in the trunk as it is now.

                  It is easiest to set the zero parallax point without using a red/cyan
                  viewer, first you pick a zero parallax point and then you shift the images
                  until you see no color fringes at the chosen point.
                  For this is best to view the anaglyph at 100%. The width and distance of the
                  color fringes will increase from zero at the chosen point to a maximum at
                  objects in the back of the scene.

                  If you want to reduce the eye stress in zenith as much as possible without
                  using a smart mask then it is best to set the zero parallax point at the end
                  of the branches and not somewhere between the end and the trunk.
                  If you set the zero parallax point at the end of the branches then you miss
                  the "popping out of the screen" 3D effect of the branches but it could be
                  very well that this will improve the overall quality in such a way that it
                  is a good trade off.
                  You have to try it out and see what works best.

                  BTW, I think you have chosen the right number of images and the proper NPP
                  forward shift, the 3D depth is really good and both me and Margriet like
                  your forest pano a lot.

                  Wim