3D printing panorama pictures

  • tom_a_sparks
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011
      I was browsing shapeway.com when I came across these two threads

      "First color panorama sphere" - http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=18164

      "panorama sphere set" - http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=18766
    • no way
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011
        I too have seen these. I fired up blender and did some uv mapping with full res panos...I was very disappointed with the final render. It was not what I was expecting. the printing process doesnt seem to be able to produce the level of photo detail I was after.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "no way" <etterz@...> wrote:

          > I too have seen these. I fired up blender and did some uv mapping with full res panos...I was very disappointed with the final render. It was not what I was expecting. the printing process doesnt seem to be able to produce the level of photo detail I was after.

          I have contact chronopsis2 to find out how he did it
          here is his shop http://www.shapeways.com/shops/chronopsis

          tom

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
            Tom,
            It is a straight forward process. I just wasnt happy with the resolution of the
            finished piece.
            Create the sphere(hollow for cost) map your image to it. Print.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "no way" <etterz@...> wrote:

              > Tom,
              > It is a straight forward process. I just wasnt happy with the resolution of the
              > finished piece.
              > Create the sphere(hollow for cost) map your image to it. Print.

              do you have a photos of your sphere?

              I am just wondering if their are any tips that could make the resolution better

              tom

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 4, 2011
                Tom,
                I should explain better. The printed resolution stays the same, but the bigger you print it the better it will look. As the cost is based on the volume of printed material, by the time I would find it acceptable the cost was beyond my means.

                I do have the blender shapeways costing script installed if you would like, tell me what size you are interested in, I can approximate the cost for you based on shapeways requirements(min wall thickness). Remember, there needs to be a hole in the sphere. Unless you are willing to also pay for the unprinted but trapped material. That does mean you can omit the nadir and/or the zenith.

                For examples of the printed resolution, go look through the gallery's at the items that have been printed in full color sandstone.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 4, 2011
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "no way" <etterz@...> wrote:

                  > Tom,
                  > I should explain better. The printed resolution stays the same, but the bigger you print it the better it will look. As the cost is based on the volume of printed material, by the time I would find it acceptable the cost was beyond my means.
                  >
                  > I do have the blender shapeways costing script installed if you would like, tell me what size you are interested in, I can approximate the cost for you based on shapeways requirements(min wall thickness). Remember, there needs to be a hole in the sphere. Unless you are willing to also pay for the unprinted but trapped material. That does mean you can omit the nadir and/or the zenith.
                  >
                  > For examples of the printed resolution, go look through the gallery's at the items that have been printed in full color sandstone.

                  thank for explaining it better
                  I am looking at doing a group of paperweights to sell....
                  if the prototype looks good

                  PS: I dont have any local panorama yet awaiting for my camera to build.....

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "tom_a_sparks" <tom_a_sparks@> wrote:
                  <snip>