Re: Photosynth

  • texas360dave
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011
      File size differences might be:
      jpeg [compressed?] file size on the disk
      jpeg [image open uncompressed in view state] as seen on the monitor

      > I have been steadily uploading panoramas to the Microsoft Photosynth
      > site, and find the ability to upload directly from inside PhotoShop
      > very convenient.
      >
      > I have only one serious dissatisfaction with the free service, and
      > am puzzled by another aspect of it.
      >
      > I find the default field of view far too narrow, so my panoramas
      > appear grainy and over-sharpened because they were prepared for
      > a different, wider field of view. A couple of other minor faults
      > have been solved in recent weeks, so it is obviously a "work in
      > progress" and I hope this issue will soon by resolved. If the edit
      > functions could include a "set the initial FOV" option that would
      > solve it for me.
      >
      > The puzzling aspect is the monstrous size of the files! Today, for
      > instance, I uploaded a 5,000 x 2,500 pixel panorama that even at
      > the highest quality for JPEG files is only 6 or 7MB, but the file
      > is 16.3MB in its Photosynth form. Others, with my more usual 8,000
      > x 4,000 pixel dimensions, are typically 25MB or even 43MB! This is
      > not an issue with 20GB of space available. At least, not yet. But
      > it does seem rather, well, profligate.
      >
      > Photosynth also notifies me of upload progress in terms of files
      > numbered 1 through 7. I wonder what is going on?
      >
      > Roger W. (Rogerama on Photosynth)
      >
      > PS Happy New Year, one and all!!
      >
      > --
      > Business: www.adex-japan.com
      > Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger

    • Roger Howard
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2011
        2011/1/1 Roger D. Williams <roger@...>

        > The puzzling aspect is the monstrous size of the files! Today, for
        >
        > instance, I uploaded a 5,000 x 2,500 pixel panorama that even at
        > the highest quality for JPEG files is only 6 or 7MB, but the file
        > is 16.3MB in its Photosynth form. Others, with my more usual 8,000
        > x 4,000 pixel dimensions, are typically 25MB or even 43MB! This is
        > not an issue with 20GB of space available. At least, not yet. But
        > it does seem rather, well, profligate.

        Perhaps this is because of the multiresolution format, which effectively
        stores the same image in multiple sizes, as well as the tiling itself (which
        will add additional overhead for each tile).

      • Matt Uyttendaele
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2011
          What are you looking at when you quote these file-size numbers? You'd have to dig into the Windows temp directory to actually find the photosynth upload package. It can be found in:
          %temp%\Photosynther\ICE

          I just tried a quick test of a 360 equirectangular 4000 x 1400 image, which is 16.4MB as an uncompressed tiff. The entire contents of the Photosynth upload package for this image is 2MB. So, I'm not sure what is going on in your case.

          The progress 1-7 is 1 file per cube-face + 1 file for ancillary data.