Re: R.I.P. Kodachrome

  • Uri
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 31 12:18 PM
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...> wrote:

      > I have in the cupboard (as well as an old slide projector) some Kodachrome slides my grandfather took - some would have to be well over 50 years old - still beautiful colour. I might drag them out this weekend just for a bit of nostalgia. "R.I.P. Kodachrome", you will be missed.

      Well, Marshall MacLuhan observed that obsolete technology tends to become an art form. I hear that there is a group trying to revive or re-create the Kodachrome process.

      Happy New Year, everyone!

      Uri
    • Ian Wood
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 31 2:12 PM
        On 31 Dec 2010, at 20:18, Uri wrote:

        > hear that there is a group trying to revive or re-create the Kodachrome process.

        Good luck with that. :-(

        As far as I can remember, Kodachrome was the most complex commercially-used film development process of all time.

        Happy New Year all.

        Ian
      • Robert C. Fisher
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 31 2:23 PM
          Wow Paul I didn't think I would ever hear you say that. You were one
          of the last holdouts for the photochemical process in panos.

          On Dec 31, 2010, at 10:36 AM, Paul Fretheim wrote:

          > . Film just can't come close to the images we get with modern
          > digital sensors.
          >
          > I still have a couple of hundred rolls of Fujichrome Superia 100 in my
          > freezer. I will let it go cheap if anyone is interested.
          >
          > Paul Fretheim
          >
          > _

          Cheers
          Robert C. Fisher
          VR Photography / Cinematography
          bob@...
          http://www.rcfisher.com
          Facebook - Robert C. Fisher

        • Ken Warner
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 31 2:35 PM
            Hang on to them for as long as possible. They
            can only increase in value as they become more
            rare.

            Robert C. Fisher wrote:
            > Wow Paul I didn't think I would ever hear you say that. You were one
            > of the last holdouts for the photochemical process in panos.
            >
            > On Dec 31, 2010, at 10:36 AM, Paul Fretheim wrote:
            >
            >> . Film just can't come close to the images we get with modern
            >> digital sensors.
            >>
            >> I still have a couple of hundred rolls of Fujichrome Superia 100 in my
            >> freezer. I will let it go cheap if anyone is interested.
            >>
            >> Paul Fretheim
            >>
            >> _
            >

            > Cheers
            > Robert C. Fisher
            > VR Photography / Cinematography
            > bob@...
            > http://www.rcfisher.com
            > Facebook - Robert C. Fisher

          • michael crane
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 31 3:14 PM
              On Fri, December 31, 2010 10:12 pm, Ian Wood wrote:

              > On 31 Dec 2010, at 20:18, Uri wrote:
              >
              >> hear that there is a group trying to revive or re-create the Kodachrome
              >> process.
              >
              > Good luck with that. :-(
              >
              > As far as I can remember, Kodachrome was the most complex
              > commercially-used film development process of all time.
              What was the process the 3rd layer down was a yellow filter ?

              > Happy New Year all.

              yes

              --
              mickiwiki.com
            • Bernhard Vogl
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
                Am 12/31/2010 9:18 PM, schrieb Uri:

                > I hear that there is a group trying to revive or re-create the Kodachrome process.

                I think you're confusing it with Polaroid:
                http://www.the-impossible-project.com/

                Best wishes
                Bernhard