Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [PanoToolsNG] R.I.P. Kodachrome

Expand Messages
  • Kathy Wheeler
    ... I have in the cupboard (as well as an old slide projector) some Kodachrome slides my grandfather took - some would have to be well over 50 years old -
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 30, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      On 12/31/2010, at 9:29 AM, Fulvio Senore wrote:
      > A few months ago I extracted the projector from piles of garbage in my
      > house and I showed some 20 years old slides to my daughters (happy users
      > of digital cameras).

      I have in the cupboard (as well as an old slide projector) some Kodachrome slides my grandfather took - some would have to be well over 50 years old - still beautiful colour. I might drag them out this weekend just for a bit of nostalgia. "R.I.P. Kodachrome", you will be missed.

      KathyW.
    • Roger D. Williams
      On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 10:11:41 +0900, Kathy Wheeler ... Hi, Kathy. *I* have some Kodachrome slides I took well over 50 years ago. I stopped using Kodachrome when
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 30, 2010
      • 0 Attachment
        On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 10:11:41 +0900, Kathy Wheeler
        <kathyw@...> wrote:

        >
        > On 12/31/2010, at 9:29 AM, Fulvio Senore wrote:
        >> A few months ago I extracted the projector from piles of garbage in my
        >> house and I showed some 20 years old slides to my daughters (happy users
        >> of digital cameras).
        >
        > I have in the cupboard (as well as an old slide projector) some
        > Kodachrome slides my grandfather took - some would have to be well over
        > 50 years old - still beautiful colour. I might drag them out this
        > weekend just for a bit of nostalgia. "R.I.P. Kodachrome", you will be
        > missed.

        Hi, Kathy. *I* have some Kodachrome slides I took well over 50 years ago.
        I stopped using Kodachrome when I came to Japan 43 years ago, when I
        shifted over to 100 ASA Fujichrome. The extra two stops of speed made
        all the difference. But I lived to regret the change! All my Kodachrome
        slides look just as good as when I received them. All my Fujichrome
        slides have faded to a dim purplish echo of their former glory. <sigh>

        Roger W.

        --
        Business: www.adex-japan.com
        Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      • Paul Fretheim
        I saw the bit on NBC news last night about the finale for Kodachrome. The images in the piece had crummy color and looked pretty bad. Film just can t come
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 31, 2010
        • 0 Attachment
          I saw the bit on NBC news last night about the finale for Kodachrome.
          The images in the piece had crummy color and looked pretty bad. Film
          just can't come close to the images we get with modern digital sensors.

          I still have a couple of hundred rolls of Fujichrome Superia 100 in my
          freezer. I will let it go cheap if anyone is interested.

          Paul Fretheim
        • Uri
          ... Well, Marshall MacLuhan observed that obsolete technology tends to become an art form. I hear that there is a group trying to revive or re-create the
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 31, 2010
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...> wrote:

            > I have in the cupboard (as well as an old slide projector) some Kodachrome slides my grandfather took - some would have to be well over 50 years old - still beautiful colour. I might drag them out this weekend just for a bit of nostalgia. "R.I.P. Kodachrome", you will be missed.

            Well, Marshall MacLuhan observed that obsolete technology tends to become an art form. I hear that there is a group trying to revive or re-create the Kodachrome process.

            Happy New Year, everyone!

            Uri
          • Ian Wood
            ... Good luck with that. :-( As far as I can remember, Kodachrome was the most complex commercially-used film development process of all time. Happy New Year
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 31, 2010
            • 0 Attachment
              On 31 Dec 2010, at 20:18, Uri wrote:

              > hear that there is a group trying to revive or re-create the Kodachrome process.

              Good luck with that. :-(

              As far as I can remember, Kodachrome was the most complex commercially-used film development process of all time.

              Happy New Year all.

              Ian
            • Robert C. Fisher
              Wow Paul I didn t think I would ever hear you say that. You were one of the last holdouts for the photochemical process in panos. ... Cheers Robert C. Fisher
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 31, 2010
              • 0 Attachment
                Wow Paul I didn't think I would ever hear you say that. You were one
                of the last holdouts for the photochemical process in panos.

                On Dec 31, 2010, at 10:36 AM, Paul Fretheim wrote:

                > . Film just can't come close to the images we get with modern
                > digital sensors.
                >
                > I still have a couple of hundred rolls of Fujichrome Superia 100 in my
                > freezer. I will let it go cheap if anyone is interested.
                >
                > Paul Fretheim
                >
                > _


                Cheers
                Robert C. Fisher
                VR Photography / Cinematography
                bob@...
                http://www.rcfisher.com
                Facebook - Robert C. Fisher






                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              • Ken Warner
                Hang on to them for as long as possible. They can only increase in value as they become more rare.
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 31, 2010
                • 0 Attachment
                  Hang on to them for as long as possible. They
                  can only increase in value as they become more
                  rare.

                  Robert C. Fisher wrote:
                  > Wow Paul I didn't think I would ever hear you say that. You were one
                  > of the last holdouts for the photochemical process in panos.
                  >
                  > On Dec 31, 2010, at 10:36 AM, Paul Fretheim wrote:
                  >
                  >> . Film just can't come close to the images we get with modern
                  >> digital sensors.
                  >>
                  >> I still have a couple of hundred rolls of Fujichrome Superia 100 in my
                  >> freezer. I will let it go cheap if anyone is interested.
                  >>
                  >> Paul Fretheim
                  >>
                  >> _
                  >
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > Robert C. Fisher
                  > VR Photography / Cinematography
                  > bob@...
                  > http://www.rcfisher.com
                  > Facebook - Robert C. Fisher
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  >
                  >
                • michael crane
                  ... What was the process the 3rd layer down was a yellow filter ? ... yes ... -- mickiwiki.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 31, 2010
                  • 0 Attachment
                    On Fri, December 31, 2010 10:12 pm, Ian Wood wrote:
                    >
                    > On 31 Dec 2010, at 20:18, Uri wrote:
                    >
                    >> hear that there is a group trying to revive or re-create the Kodachrome
                    >> process.
                    >
                    > Good luck with that. :-(
                    >
                    > As far as I can remember, Kodachrome was the most complex
                    > commercially-used film development process of all time.
                    What was the process the 3rd layer down was a yellow filter ?

                    > Happy New Year all.


                    yes

                    > Ian


                    --
                    mickiwiki.com
                  • Bernhard Vogl
                    ... I think you re confusing it with Polaroid: http://www.the-impossible-project.com/ Best wishes Bernhard
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Am 12/31/2010 9:18 PM, schrieb Uri:
                      >
                      > I hear that there is a group trying to revive or re-create the Kodachrome process.
                      >
                      I think you're confusing it with Polaroid:
                      http://www.the-impossible-project.com/

                      Best wishes
                      Bernhard
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.