Re: [PanoToolsNG] R.I.P. Kodachrome

  • Trausti Hraunfjord
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 30, 2010
      Nostalgic...

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLsDxvAErTU&feature=related

      Natural, but still it leaves one with a feeling that something big has been
      left behind....

    • Fulvio Senore
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 30, 2010
        This looks like one of those moments when you realize that something has
        changed and there is no return.

        I used Kodachrome 25 from the late seventies until it was discontinued.
        I liked it much more than K64. K25 was not the easiest film to use, but
        it was wonderful.

        Nothing like thinking of taking your just exposed roll, putting it in an
        envelope, taking it to the store and waiting for about one month before
        seeing the slides can make you think of how things have changed, while
        you look at your photos in the camera display.

        A few months ago I extracted the projector from piles of garbage in my
        house and I showed some 20 years old slides to my daughters (happy users
        of digital cameras). They were shocked. The young generation has
        problems imagining a slide projection. They never saw anything larger
        than a monitor.

        Fulvio Senore

        Il 30/12/2010 18.17, eduardo_hutter ha scritto:
        > Today is the last day for Kodachrome as its last processing machine is shut down to be sold for scrap after Kodak stop producing the chemicals for it.
        >
        > I know the world goes on, the time doesn't stop and all, but it's kind of sad...
        >
        > http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/30/us/30film.html?_r=1
        >

        > ------------------------------------

      • Kathy Wheeler
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 30, 2010
          On 12/31/2010, at 9:29 AM, Fulvio Senore wrote:
          > A few months ago I extracted the projector from piles of garbage in my
          > house and I showed some 20 years old slides to my daughters (happy users
          > of digital cameras).

          I have in the cupboard (as well as an old slide projector) some Kodachrome slides my grandfather took - some would have to be well over 50 years old - still beautiful colour. I might drag them out this weekend just for a bit of nostalgia. "R.I.P. Kodachrome", you will be missed.

          KathyW.
        • Roger D. Williams
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 30, 2010
            On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 10:11:41 +0900, Kathy Wheeler
            <kathyw@...> wrote:

            > On 12/31/2010, at 9:29 AM, Fulvio Senore wrote:
            >> A few months ago I extracted the projector from piles of garbage in my
            >> house and I showed some 20 years old slides to my daughters (happy users
            >> of digital cameras).
            >
            > I have in the cupboard (as well as an old slide projector) some
            > Kodachrome slides my grandfather took - some would have to be well over
            > 50 years old - still beautiful colour. I might drag them out this
            > weekend just for a bit of nostalgia. "R.I.P. Kodachrome", you will be
            > missed.

            Hi, Kathy. *I* have some Kodachrome slides I took well over 50 years ago.
            I stopped using Kodachrome when I came to Japan 43 years ago, when I
            shifted over to 100 ASA Fujichrome. The extra two stops of speed made
            all the difference. But I lived to regret the change! All my Kodachrome
            slides look just as good as when I received them. All my Fujichrome
            slides have faded to a dim purplish echo of their former glory. <sigh>

            Roger W.

            --
            Business: www.adex-japan.com
            Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 31, 2010
              I saw the bit on NBC news last night about the finale for Kodachrome.
              The images in the piece had crummy color and looked pretty bad. Film
              just can't come close to the images we get with modern digital sensors.

              I still have a couple of hundred rolls of Fujichrome Superia 100 in my
              freezer. I will let it go cheap if anyone is interested.

              Paul Fretheim
            • Uri
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 31, 2010
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...> wrote:

                > I have in the cupboard (as well as an old slide projector) some Kodachrome slides my grandfather took - some would have to be well over 50 years old - still beautiful colour. I might drag them out this weekend just for a bit of nostalgia. "R.I.P. Kodachrome", you will be missed.

                Well, Marshall MacLuhan observed that obsolete technology tends to become an art form. I hear that there is a group trying to revive or re-create the Kodachrome process.

                Happy New Year, everyone!

                Uri
              • Ian Wood
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 31, 2010
                  On 31 Dec 2010, at 20:18, Uri wrote:

                  > hear that there is a group trying to revive or re-create the Kodachrome process.

                  Good luck with that. :-(

                  As far as I can remember, Kodachrome was the most complex commercially-used film development process of all time.

                  Happy New Year all.

                  Ian
                • Robert C. Fisher
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 31, 2010
                    Wow Paul I didn't think I would ever hear you say that. You were one
                    of the last holdouts for the photochemical process in panos.

                    On Dec 31, 2010, at 10:36 AM, Paul Fretheim wrote:

                    > . Film just can't come close to the images we get with modern
                    > digital sensors.
                    >
                    > I still have a couple of hundred rolls of Fujichrome Superia 100 in my
                    > freezer. I will let it go cheap if anyone is interested.
                    >
                    > Paul Fretheim
                    >
                    > _

                    Cheers
                    Robert C. Fisher
                    VR Photography / Cinematography
                    bob@...
                    http://www.rcfisher.com
                    Facebook - Robert C. Fisher

                  • Ken Warner
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 31, 2010
                      Hang on to them for as long as possible. They
                      can only increase in value as they become more
                      rare.

                      Robert C. Fisher wrote:
                      > Wow Paul I didn't think I would ever hear you say that. You were one
                      > of the last holdouts for the photochemical process in panos.
                      >
                      > On Dec 31, 2010, at 10:36 AM, Paul Fretheim wrote:
                      >
                      >> . Film just can't come close to the images we get with modern
                      >> digital sensors.
                      >>
                      >> I still have a couple of hundred rolls of Fujichrome Superia 100 in my
                      >> freezer. I will let it go cheap if anyone is interested.
                      >>
                      >> Paul Fretheim
                      >>
                      >> _
                      >

                      > Cheers
                      > Robert C. Fisher
                      > VR Photography / Cinematography
                      > bob@...
                      > http://www.rcfisher.com
                      > Facebook - Robert C. Fisher

                    • michael crane
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 31, 2010
                        On Fri, December 31, 2010 10:12 pm, Ian Wood wrote:

                        > On 31 Dec 2010, at 20:18, Uri wrote:
                        >
                        >> hear that there is a group trying to revive or re-create the Kodachrome
                        >> process.
                        >
                        > Good luck with that. :-(
                        >
                        > As far as I can remember, Kodachrome was the most complex
                        > commercially-used film development process of all time.
                        What was the process the 3rd layer down was a yellow filter ?

                        > Happy New Year all.

                        yes

                        --
                        mickiwiki.com
                      • Bernhard Vogl
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
                          Am 12/31/2010 9:18 PM, schrieb Uri:

                          > I hear that there is a group trying to revive or re-create the Kodachrome process.

                          I think you're confusing it with Polaroid:
                          http://www.the-impossible-project.com/

                          Best wishes
                          Bernhard