Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: tablet choices for CP picking

  • RomualdV
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 29, 2010
      Same here.
      Picking CP is easier with mouse than pen tablet.

      Romuald

      Le 29 déc. 10 à 14:25, ahoeben41 a écrit :

      > I am a big fan of tablets myself, having used them for over 15
      > years. I hardly ever use a mouse on my desktop machine(s), I do
      > everything with a Wacom tablet (ie: including everything you would
      > normally do with a mouse). The only thing I ever do with a mouse
      > is... control point picking.
      >
      > When using a pen on a tablet, you hover the pen a (couple of)
      > millimeter(s) above the tablet surface to move the cursor around.
      > Clicking is done by pushing the pen down that millimeter or so
      > down. I find it neigh impossible to stay on the same pixel when
      > pressing down. So using a pen is actually less precise for me. I
      > personally use the mouse that comes with the tablet in "pen
      > mode" (ie: using absolute coordinates) for a very accurate mouse
      > that *never* skips a pixel and always glides smoothly.
      >
      > 'do

    • matt_nolan_uaf
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 30, 2010
        No problem. One application I was thinking of was for color control -- to edit in photoshop using the touchscreen but also see the effects on a large calibrated monitor. Do you have it set up so the same image is seen on both screens, or do you have to pass the image back and forth between them like two separate monitors?
        -Matt

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "mrjimbo" <mrjimbo@...> wrote:

        > Matt ,
        > I apologize but I'm missing where your trying to go.. The Cintique is basically a monitor that is a also a touch screen.. as are all the touch screens.. Tablets are basically an enhanced mouse devise that give you much more control in certain software's.....like PS which are set up to use it.. The Cintiq we have is a 21UX ...we have it hooked up using a DVI and USB connections on a MAC... So if you want to set it up as a dual monitor that is no issue..... but it's not visually intended to be like an Eizo or? that's just to get a point across.. It's a fancy tablet.. that works just like a tablet but offers the image rather then the gray scale nothing you view on the tablet.. They do make sense in many applications.. but they are not a replacement for a good monitor..
        > To be honest and getting grounded on the whole thing.. If your focus is control points as indicated previously.. I think I'd stick with a regular tablet..
        > I guess to answer your original question.. The Cintique functions as a tablet and a monitor.....it's simply a tablet with the actual picture.. and no you can't turn off the monitor function as far as know.. but who would want to.. I mean your paying 2k for the thing.. Tablets are less then 500 bucks.
        >
        > jimbo

      • matt_nolan_uaf
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 30, 2010
          Great to know, thanks!
          -Matt

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, RomualdV <vromuald@...> wrote:

          > Same here.
          > Picking CP is easier with mouse than pen tablet.
          >
          > Romuald
          >

          > Le 29 déc. 10 à 14:25, ahoeben41 a écrit :
          >
          > > I am a big fan of tablets myself, having used them for over 15
          > > years. I hardly ever use a mouse on my desktop machine(s), I do
          > > everything with a Wacom tablet (ie: including everything you would
          > > normally do with a mouse). The only thing I ever do with a mouse
          > > is... control point picking.
          > >
          > > When using a pen on a tablet, you hover the pen a (couple of)
          > > millimeter(s) above the tablet surface to move the cursor around.
          > > Clicking is done by pushing the pen down that millimeter or so
          > > down. I find it neigh impossible to stay on the same pixel when
          > > pressing down. So using a pen is actually less precise for me. I
          > > personally use the mouse that comes with the tablet in "pen
          > > mode" (ie: using absolute coordinates) for a very accurate mouse
          > > that *never* skips a pixel and always glides smoothly.
          > >
          > > 'do
          > >

          > > ------------------------------------
          > >
          > > --

        • mrjimbo
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 30, 2010
            In the case mentioned you would have to mirror them I would think... In a way to me that would be the same as using a tablet.. If I was watching one monitor for color then poking on another.....well..... Wouldn't it make more sense to have one or two monitors and a regular tablet.. With two monitors you can extend the desk top and the tablet will run both.. Also with the right color management software both monitors can be dialed in and then matched so your not falling off the edge of the earth when you drag something from one to the other. The Cintiq's can be profiled but the result won't be like an Eizo or??

            jimbo
            No problem. One application I was thinking of was for color control -- to edit in photoshop using the touchscreen but also see the effects on a large calibrated monitor. Do you have it set up so the same image is seen on both screens, or do you have to pass the image back and forth between them like two separate monitors?
            -Matt

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "mrjimbo" <mrjimbo@...> wrote:

            > Matt ,
            > I apologize but I'm missing where your trying to go.. The Cintique is basically a monitor that is a also a touch screen.. as are all the touch screens.. Tablets are basically an enhanced mouse devise that give you much more control in certain software's.....like PS which are set up to use it.. The Cintiq we have is a 21UX ...we have it hooked up using a DVI and USB connections on a MAC... So if you want to set it up as a dual monitor that is no issue..... but it's not visually intended to be like an Eizo or? that's just to get a point across.. It's a fancy tablet.. that works just like a tablet but offers the image rather then the gray scale nothing you view on the tablet.. They do make sense in many applications.. but they are not a replacement for a good monitor..
            > To be honest and getting grounded on the whole thing.. If your focus is control points as indicated previously.. I think I'd stick with a regular tablet..
            > I guess to answer your original question.. The Cintique functions as a tablet and a monitor.....it's simply a tablet with the actual picture.. and no you can't turn off the monitor function as far as know.. but who would want to.. I mean your paying 2k for the thing.. Tablets are less then 500 bucks.
            >
            > jimbo

          • Carl von Einem
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 30, 2010
              Posted by: "mrjimbo"

              > In the case mentioned you would have to mirror them I would think...
              > In a way to me that would be the same as using a tablet.. If I was
              > watching one monitor for color then poking on another.....well.....

              Like a tablet, only far better. Several Photoshop tools work so much
              better when I use the Wacom pen (compared to the mouse, not the
              tissues), so for retouching I often open a second window (in menu Window
              -> Arrange -> New window for...) on my other LCD which serves either as
              a lupe or an overview for what I'm doing on the Wacom.

              > Wouldn't it make more sense to have one or two monitors and a
              > regular tablet.. With two monitors you can extend the desk top and
              > the tablet will run both.. Also with the right color management
              > software both monitors can be dialed in and then matched so your
              > not falling off the edge of the earth when you drag something from
              > one to the other. The Cintiq's can be profiled but the result
              > won't be like an Eizo or??

              Right. Here is my personal setup: one EIZO CG21 plus the Cintiq 21UX
              (1st edition) as an extended desktop. This combination is sort of
              interesting since AFAIK both use the same panel. Calibrating EIZO CG
              displays is a no brainer and really accurate while trying to calibrate
              the Cintiq is a bit tedious and gives ok results but won't match the
              EIZO (using the same i1pro).

              Manual control point selection using the Cintiq 21UX with the pen is
              mostly great and in some cases a bit akward: sometimes I manage to hide
              the little "lupe" right below my hand which is holding the pen, sort of
              counterproductive. I have to stress that usually it works fine for me. I
              sort of let my hand decide what it picks: the mouse, the Wacom pen or
              sometimes even a pack of paper handkerchiefs (only the latter strangely
              enough doesn't appear on the screen).

              I first saw the principle at a SYSTEMS fair in Munich in the 1990ies
              when Wacom presented their first 12" version that still needed a
              PCI-Card to connect to the computer. I instantly tried a free-form
              select and I knew I wanted to have one. Prior to ordering the Cintiq
              years later I had the chance to test the tablet with hugin in a nice
              little shop (www.docmac.info). It's a lot of money but I didn't regret
              it yet :-)

              Carl

            • mrjimbo