Pano fro iPad app

  • Henri Smeets
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 14, 2010
      I've been asked to deliver a panorama for a digital magazine published as an
      app on the iPad. They are requesting a html/css version of the pano as Flash
      obviously is no option.

      What in your view would be the best solution?

      I have:

      VR5 by VRHabitat,
      Seems to be very buggy, crashes regularly on my iPhone/iPad and has
      unpredictable results on different loads on the same device.

      KRPano MakeMultires
      Looks to me the most obvious option. Having no xml skill though leaves me
      stuck with the standard buttons that, imho, are not very touch-device savy.

      I'd really appreciate your tips/input. I've seem some forum threads on the
      subject where you give some tips.
    • erik_leeman
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 14, 2010
        Hi Henry,

        Since I don't own the tools you've already tried I cannot claim to know which is best, but is there a reason why you are not considering Pano2VR v3 (beta3)?

        Although still beta, I've had some *excellent* results from it's brilliant skin editor; with it almost anything I did before in Flash I can now do in CSS3/Javascript.

        However, I do know ONE good reason why you might have omitted Pano2VR v3 for now. Sadly, very sadly, the latest iOS update for iPad spoiled Pano2VR bliss dramatically, delaying skin button response for seconds, ruining the experience.

        But I haven't given up hope yet that either Apple and/or Thomas find a way to fix that. But I really really hope they will find it quickly!

        Cheers!

        Erik Leeman

        (<http://www.erikleeman.com> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/>)

        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 14, 2010
          Hy Eryk,

          That's indeed the reason I skipped on Pano2VR for now, the app may be
          published in as little as two days so beta's with obvious bugs are not an
          option. The pano may even be skipped for the first edition if it's not
          working porperly.

          Henri
        • Hans
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 14, 2010
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik_leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

            > Hi Henry,
            >
            > Since I don't own the tools you've already tried I cannot claim to know which is best, but is there a reason why you are not considering Pano2VR v3 (beta3)?
            >
            > Although still beta, I've had some *excellent* results from it's brilliant skin editor; with it almost anything I did before in Flash I can now do in CSS3/Javascript.
            >
            > However, I do know ONE good reason why you might have omitted Pano2VR v3 for now. Sadly, very sadly, the latest iOS update for iPad spoiled Pano2VR bliss dramatically, delaying skin button response for seconds, ruining the experience.

            Well KRpano works just perfect. Have not had a single crash on all the different experiments I have done except for my errors in coding of course.
            We now also have a nice working soundinterface that works perfect for all platforms including Android, Flash, iPad, iPhone and standard browsers.
            Here is a simple gallery created with the Standard tools + some own interface design and changes in the xml for the generated thumbnails.
            http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/krpano/vtour/t2.html

            However I do not understand why Henri's client asks for an HTML5 version.

            Can you include that in an app.?
            As far as I understand that is a completely different viewer needed using Open GL like the Pangea VR.

            Hans

            > But I haven't given up hope yet that either Apple and/or Thomas find a way to fix that. But I really really hope they will find it quickly!
            >
            > Cheers!
            >
            > Erik Leeman
            >
            > (<http://www.erikleeman.com> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/>)
            >
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Henri Smeets wrote:
            > >
            > > I've been asked to deliver a panorama for a digital magazine
            > > published as an app on the iPad. They are requesting a html/css
            > > version of the pano as Flash obviously is no option.
            > > What in your view would be the best solution?
            > > I have:
            > > VR5 by VRHabitat,
            > > Seems to be very buggy, crashes regularly on my iPhone/iPad and has
            > > unpredictable results on different loads on the same device.
            > > KRPano MakeMultires
            > > Looks to me the most obvious option. Having no xml skill though
            > > leaves me stuck with the standard buttons that, imho, are not very
            > > touch-device savy.
            > >
            > > I'd really appreciate your tips/input. I've seem some forum threads
            > > on the subject where you give some tips.

          • Ian Wood
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 14, 2010
              On 14 Dec 2010, at 10:28, Hans wrote:

              > However I do not understand why Henri's client asks for an HTML5 version.
              >
              > Can you include that in an app.?
              > As far as I understand that is a completely different viewer needed using Open GL like the Pangea VR.

              It's by far the the easiest way to include a panorama in a regular iApp - all the developer needs to do is show a web view pointing at the HTML file and doesn't need to licence/integrate somebody else's OpenGL viewer (assuming there is a viewer available).

              Ian
            • Hans
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 14, 2010
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

                > On 14 Dec 2010, at 10:28, Hans wrote:
                >
                > > However I do not understand why Henri's client asks for an HTML5 version.
                > >
                > > Can you include that in an app.?
                > > As far as I understand that is a completely different viewer needed using Open GL like the Pangea VR.
                >
                > It's by far the the easiest way to include a panorama in a regular iApp - all the developer needs to do is show a web view pointing at the HTML file and doesn't need to licence/integrate somebody else's OpenGL viewer (assuming there is a viewer available).

                Do you mean that you can link to a standard web url in the app and read it inside the app?

                Hans

                > Ian

              • Ian Wood
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 14, 2010
                  On 14 Dec 2010, at 11:10, Hans wrote:

                  > Do you mean that you can link to a standard web url in the app and read it inside the app?

                  Yes. Without being a Cocoa programmer, as far as I know it's a case of calling up a Webkit view (built-in to the OS/development environment) and giving it a URL, which can either be local to the app or an actual web URL.

                  If you look at examples like Twitter, Facebook, eBay & RSS apps they do this all the time when you click on links that get shown within the app. Quite a few of the simpler web-related apps are wrappers around online HTML content.

                  Ian
                • Hans
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 14, 2010
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

                    > On 14 Dec 2010, at 11:10, Hans wrote:
                    >
                    > > Do you mean that you can link to a standard web url in the app and read it inside the app?
                    >
                    > Yes. Without being a Cocoa programmer, as far as I know it's a case of calling up a Webkit view (built-in to the OS/development environment) and giving it a URL, which can either be local to the app or an actual web URL.
                    >
                    > If you look at examples like Twitter, Facebook, eBay & RSS apps they do this all the time when you click on links that get shown within the app. Quite a few of the simpler web-related apps are wrappers around online HTML content.

                    Do you think that will also override the 1024 fixed max size in Safari.

                    Hans

                    > Ian

                  • Matthew Rogers
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 14, 2010
                      Hi Hans,

                      Considering all it does is call the same webkit as used by Safari I can't imagine any differences.

                      Matt

                      On 14 Dec 2010, at 11:27, Hans wrote:

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > On 14 Dec 2010, at 11:10, Hans wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > Do you mean that you can link to a standard web url in the app and read it inside the app?
                      > >
                      > > Yes. Without being a Cocoa programmer, as far as I know it's a case of calling up a Webkit view (built-in to the OS/development environment) and giving it a URL, which can either be local to the app or an actual web URL.
                      > >
                      > > If you look at examples like Twitter, Facebook, eBay & RSS apps they do this all the time when you click on links that get shown within the app. Quite a few of the simpler web-related apps are wrappers around online HTML content.
                      >
                      > Do you think that will also override the 1024 fixed max size in Safari.
                      >
                      > Hans
                      >

                      > > Ian

                    • terak1us
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 18, 2010

                        > Well KRpano works just perfect. Have not had a single crash on all the different experiments I have done except for my errors in coding of course.
                        > We now also have a nice working soundinterface that works perfect for all platforms including Android, Flash, iPad, iPhone and standard browsers.
                        > Here is a simple gallery created with the Standard tools + some own interface design and changes in the xml for the generated thumbnails.
                        > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/krpano/vtour/t2.html

                        > Hans

                        Hans, you may not have upgraded to the new iOS on the iPad. The KRPano tour thumbnails take about 3-4 seconds to pop up with the new version of the iOS. It seems to be a bug in the new iOS. There are problems with FFP/PanoHub too.

                        Carel
                      • AYRTON
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 18, 2010
                          On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 7:05 PM, terak1us <cstruycken@...> wrote:

                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <hans@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > Well KRpano works just perfect. Have not had a single crash on all the
                          > different experiments I have done except for my errors in coding of course.
                          > > We now also have a nice working soundinterface that works perfect for
                          > all platforms including Android, Flash, iPad, iPhone and standard browsers.
                          > > Here is a simple gallery created with the Standard tools + some own
                          > interface design and changes in the xml for the generated thumbnails.
                          > > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/krpano/vtour/t2.html
                          > > Hans
                          >
                          > Hans, you may not have upgraded to the new iOS on the iPad. The KRPano tour
                          > thumbnails take about 3-4 seconds to pop up with the new version of the iOS.
                          > It seems to be a bug in the new iOS. There are problems with FFP/PanoHub
                          > too.
                          >
                          > Carel

                          Sorry Carel
                          HANS did the update for sure !
                          We have been working together on this, with a bunch of jobs that I have, and
                          I've contacted Hans to help me to implement the Virtual Tours.
                          I have update too on all my devices, iphone 3GS, tested on #4 too and on our
                          iPADS,
                          He testing at Denamark and me at Rio, in Brazil :-)

                          ALL IS WORKING PERFECTLY FINE on iOS 4.2

                          Btw: my panos with ViPro (that you called by mistake as panohubb) they're
                          working fine too!
                          But the way Hans Nyberg just did, it is smoother and stable all the time !

                          iDevices are here to stay ...

                          best regards
                          AYRTON

                          + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                          + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                          http://ayrton360.com
                          twitter.com/ayrton360

                        • AYRTON
                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 18, 2010
                            BTW
                            the thumbs open for me in a second !!!!
                            I have a 5 mbps wireless wifi

                            best
                            AYRTON

                            On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 7:05 PM, terak1us <cstruycken@...> wrote:

                            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <hans@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Well KRpano works just perfect. Have not had a single crash on all the
                            > different experiments I have done except for my errors in coding of course.
                            > > We now also have a nice working soundinterface that works perfect for
                            > all platforms including Android, Flash, iPad, iPhone and standard browsers.
                            > > Here is a simple gallery created with the Standard tools + some own
                            > interface design and changes in the xml for the generated thumbnails.
                            > > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/krpano/vtour/t2.html
                            >
                            > > Hans
                            >
                            > Hans, you may not have upgraded to the new iOS on the iPad. The KRPano tour
                            > thumbnails take about 3-4 seconds to pop up with the new version of the iOS.
                            > It seems to be a bug in the new iOS. There are problems with FFP/PanoHub
                            > too.
                            >
                            > Carel

                            + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                            + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                            http://ayrton360.com
                            twitter.com/ayrton360

                          • Hans
                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 19, 2010
                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "terak1us" <cstruycken@...> wrote:

                              > > Well KRpano works just perfect. Have not had a single crash on all the different experiments I have done except for my errors in coding of course.
                              > > We now also have a nice working soundinterface that works perfect for all platforms including Android, Flash, iPad, iPhone and standard browsers.
                              > > Here is a simple gallery created with the Standard tools + some own interface design and changes in the xml for the generated thumbnails.
                              > > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/krpano/vtour/t2.html
                              >
                              > > Hans
                              >
                              > Hans, you may not have upgraded to the new iOS on the iPad. The KRPano tour >thumbnails take about 3-4 seconds to pop up with the new version of the iOS. It seems >to be a bug in the new iOS. There are problems with FFP/PanoHub too.

                              Yes you are right , there is a problem with the stacked thumbnails when opening them.
                              This happens when you put too many thumbs in it. I just done a demo with 25 panoramas and that is too much. I open the thumbs at start which usually works fine but if you close them you have problem open them again. And you get the delay.
                              All other interactions on single buttons work perfect, no delay and even closing the buttons works fine with no delay.

                              But it has nothing to do with the update. This is simply a limit in the HTML5.
                              It also happens on my iMac i7 if you use HTML5 in Safari.

                              I noticed this delay on buttons already back in the first Pano2VR test .
                              Check my post here
                              http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/44443

                              Its exactly the same . When you reached the limit in cubefaces it happened.

                              Hans
                            • Fabio Bustamante
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 6, 2011
                                Erik, is this problem still happening? In the end I didn't understand if
                                it was a problem with iPad's OS version or with the player.

                                A client is asking for an iPad compatible pano but I don't have one
                                right now to make tests. Should I expect some kind of delay/sluggishness
                                from Pano2VR v3 if I have no UI over the pano?

                                Thanks a lot

                                - Fabio

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 6, 2011
                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Fabio Bustamante <contato@...> wrote:

                                  > Erik, is this problem still happening? In the end I didn't understand if
                                  > it was a problem with iPad's OS version or with the player.
                                  >
                                  > A client is asking for an iPad compatible pano but I don't have one
                                  > right now to make tests. Should I expect some kind of delay/sluggishness
                                  > from Pano2VR v3 if I have no UI over the pano?

                                  Both Pano2VR and KRpano work perfect as long as you do not exceed the 1024x1024 limit for cubefaces.

                                  For Pano2VR I would avoid the special navigation buttons.

                                  KRpano is superior. You can do almost the same as a Flashpanorama tour. Sound is now also supported.
                                  Here is a tour which looks and works almost the same on iPad. Only thing that does not work is mouse over texts.

                                  http://www.360-foto.dk/stjakobs/

                                  Hans

                                  > Thanks a lot
                                  >
                                  > - Fabio
                                  >
                                  > Em 14/12/2010 06:45, erik_leeman escreveu:
                                  > > Hi Henry,
                                  > >
                                  > > Since I don't own the tools you've already tried I cannot claim to know which is best, but is there a reason why you are not considering Pano2VR v3 (beta3)?
                                  > >
                                  > > Although still beta, I've had some *excellent* results from it's brilliant skin editor; with it almost anything I did before in Flash I can now do in CSS3/Javascript.
                                  > >
                                  > > However, I do know ONE good reason why you might have omitted Pano2VR v3 for now. Sadly, very sadly, the latest iOS update for iPad spoiled Pano2VR bliss dramatically, delaying skin button response for seconds, ruining the experience.
                                  > >
                                  > > But I haven't given up hope yet that either Apple and/or Thomas find a way to fix that. But I really really hope they will find it quickly!
                                  > >
                                  > > Cheers!
                                  > >
                                  > > Erik Leeman
                                  >
                                  > > Hans, you may not have upgraded to the new iOS on the iPad.
                                  >
                                  > > Yes you are right , there is a problem with the stacked thumbnails when opening them.

                                • Bruce Hemming
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 7, 2011
                                    Thank you for this very useful information. Has anyone used both the
                                    KRpano and 360ViPro solutions?

                                    TIA

                                    Bruce

                                    Bruce Hemming
                                    Bruce Hemming Photography
                                    Tel: +44 (0)1580 200277
                                    Mobile: +44 (0)7974 918414
                                    e-Mail: bruce@...
                                    Skype: bhemmingphoto
                                    web :http://www.bhphoto.biz/
                                    web :http://www.bhphoto.biz/panorama

                                  • Ron Rack
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 7, 2011
                                      Hans,
                                      I tried this with my ipod touch 4g and indeed all seems to work,
                                      however the panos have a thin black line/seam in between the faces? I
                                      say that but it is weird because the lines come to a "cross hair" at
                                      the top and bottom as if the pano were made out of 4 faces not 6

                                      ron rack
                                      Http://360around.com

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jan 7, 2011
                                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ron Rack <ronrack@...> wrote:

                                        > Hans,
                                        > I tried this with my ipod touch 4g and indeed all seems to work,
                                        > however the panos have a thin black line/seam in between the faces? I
                                        > say that but it is weird because the lines come to a "cross hair" at
                                        > the top and bottom as if the pano were made out of 4 faces not 6
                                        >
                                        > ron rack
                                        > Http://360around.com

                                        Thanks Ron for testing. I only have iPad to test on and it works perfect.
                                        I have a suspicion so I have exchanged the files for pano Nr 2.
                                        Could you please test if there is a difference.

                                        Also if this helps you can check panoramas.dk.

                                        The Winter pano should then be OK but not the next ones. Only the first 10 are converted to KRpano/iPad.

                                        If some one has an iPhone 4 to test and look for this also I would appreciate it.
                                        There are 2 ways to create the cubefaces for iPad and this can be the reason.
                                        To support the full resolution for Android you need to use tiles which also can be used by iPad and iPhone in the 1024x1024 resolution.
                                        That means they are tiled 4x4 in 512 tiles.

                                        If you use the tablet tag instead you make 1024x1024 full cubes.

                                        But then the Android tablæts and Smartphone has to use them also and they do not get access to the large resolutions. Even my small Android Desire Z smartphone can without problem see Flash multitile panoramas in very large resolutions. I have tested up to 8192x9192 cubefaces.

                                        Hans

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jan 7, 2011
                                          Hans,
                                          Seems as though you figured it out. I don't notice any lines on the
                                          first "winter" pano from panoramas.dk but I did see them on the
                                          "Reunion" pano. Also, St Jakobs exterior shows the lines but I did not
                                          notice them on the second, interior pano, although harder to notice
                                          because of the dark ceiling. Hard to notice anyway, I guess due to the
                                          960x640 retina display on the iPod 4g and the iPhone

                                          Ron Rack

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jan 7, 2011
                                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ron Rack <ronrack@...> wrote:

                                            > Hans,
                                            > Seems as though you figured it out. I don't notice any lines on the
                                            > first "winter" pano from panoramas.dk but I did see them on the
                                            > "Reunion" pano. Also, St Jakobs exterior shows the lines but I did not
                                            > notice them on the second, interior pano, although harder to notice
                                            > because of the dark ceiling. Hard to notice anyway, I guess due to the
                                            > 960x640 retina display on the iPod 4g and the iPhone

                                            Thanks,

                                            I for got to ask if you updated to 4.2

                                            I must say I am not sure I will skip the support for Android super resolution with all the new tablets on the way.

                                            I have to talk to Klaus if it can be done another way.
                                            I think he has missed this when he created the different options for the viewer.

                                            You can of course skip the first level and just start up with 1024x1024 tiles.

                                            I have to test if those do work OK on Android. I guess theb update when zooming in may not be as smooth.

                                            Hans

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jan 7, 2011
                                              Hans,
                                              Yes, 4.2.1 brand new iPod touch