Re: Floods in Australia

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 7, 2010
      Yes Kathy
      http://www.mediavr.com/floods2010wagga1.htm

      that is the old bridge you see in the panorama. A very picturesque structure from some angles. This flood on Monday was only about 60cm short of the 1974 flood levels but the town is much better protected now.
      Here is a panorama from the main levee protecting the town centre.
      http://www.mediavr.com/levee1.htm
      Predicted rain today and tomorrow could be heavy enough to cause a major disaster as the river level is still well over the town centre elevation .. as you see in the panorama.
      (Ah but to be parochial for a moment, them Wagga 1974 floods werent nothing compared to the Dubbo 1956 ones .. which were just down the end of my street .. endless fascination for the young me :-)

      Back to the present day -- Along the river in Wagga there are long stretches of majestic old river gums whose health depends on periodic flooding so there is definitely an upside to the event .. and people were making the best of it too in various (certainly officially disapproved) ways.:
      http://www.mediavr.com/jetskiwagga.jpg
      this is a partial panorama -- with my Sony Nex + 16mm Sony lens (24mm equivalent) in Sweep Panorama (in-camera processing) mode.

      Peter M