kinect to control panos?

  • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 3, 2010
      why, pray, has no one discussed how to use the kinect to control
      (pan/tilt/zoom) panos?

      everyone here DOES know what a kinect is, right? speak up, if you don't, and
      we'll explain.

      it is a fantastically exciting idea, to me.

      does anyone have any thoughts about it? maybe i missed the discussion? :-)

    • Ken Warner
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 3, 2010
        That's an interesting idea. I googled around and found that
        some MIT geeks have developed a JavaScript interface to control
        Kinect. I think -- I have only investigated this for about 3 min.

        This is what I found:

        http://vimeo.com/17180651

        https://github.com/doug/depthjs

        Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net wrote:
        > why, pray, has no one discussed how to use the kinect to control
        > (pan/tilt/zoom) panos?
        >
        > everyone here DOES know what a kinect is, right? speak up, if you don't, and
        > we'll explain.
        >
        > it is a fantastically exciting idea, to me.
        >
        > does anyone have any thoughts about it? maybe i missed the discussion? :-)

      • jrgen_schrader
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 3, 2010
          kinect?
          i thought that was a czech beer brand, no?

          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 3, 2010
            And this:

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-wLOfjVfVc&feature=player_embedded

            Ken Warner wrote:
            > That's an interesting idea. I googled around and found that
            > some MIT geeks have developed a JavaScript interface to control
            > Kinect. I think -- I have only investigated this for about 3 min.
            >
            > This is what I found:
            >
            > http://vimeo.com/17180651
            >
            > https://github.com/doug/depthjs
            >
            > Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net wrote:
            >> why, pray, has no one discussed how to use the kinect to control
            >> (pan/tilt/zoom) panos?
            >>
            >> everyone here DOES know what a kinect is, right? speak up, if you don't, and
            >> we'll explain.
            >>
            >> it is a fantastically exciting idea, to me.
            >>
            >> does anyone have any thoughts about it? maybe i missed the discussion? :-)

          • John Riley
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 3, 2010
              On Dec 3, 2010, at 11:37 AM, Ken Warner wrote:

              > That's an interesting idea. I googled around and found that
              > some MIT geeks have developed a JavaScript interface to control
              > Kinect. I think -- I have only investigated this for about 3 min.
              >
              > This is what I found:
              >
              > http://vimeo.com/17180651
              >
              > https://github.com/doug/depthjs

              When I watched the video, I was pretty sure I could hear a soft, whispery voice saying: "Use the Force, Luke. Let go. Luke, trust me. Remember - the Force will be with you always."

              Very cool, maybe even cooler than some of the things I have seen done with a WiiMote.

              Thanks,

              John
              John Riley
              johnriley@...
              (h)864-461-3504
              (c)864-431-7075
              (w)864-503-5775

            • Ken Warner
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 3, 2010
                That's funny :-)

                John Riley wrote:

                > On Dec 3, 2010, at 11:37 AM, Ken Warner wrote:
                >
                >> That's an interesting idea. I googled around and found that
                >> some MIT geeks have developed a JavaScript interface to control
                >> Kinect. I think -- I have only investigated this for about 3 min.
                >>
                >> This is what I found:
                >>
                >> http://vimeo.com/17180651
                >>
                >> https://github.com/doug/depthjs
                >

                > When I watched the video, I was pretty sure I could hear a soft, whispery voice saying: "Use the Force, Luke. Let go. Luke, trust me. Remember - the Force will be with you always."
                >
                > Very cool, maybe even cooler than some of the things I have seen done with a WiiMote.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >

                > John
                > John Riley
                > johnriley@...
                > (h)864-461-3504
                > (c)864-431-7075
                > (w)864-503-5775

              • Ian Wood
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 3, 2010
                  On 3 Dec 2010, at 16:05, Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net wrote:

                  > why, pray, has no one discussed how to use the kinect to control
                  > (pan/tilt/zoom) panos?

                  No idea, but I did a motion detection setup using a video camera to track audience movements to control a pano 2-3 years ago. Not entirely the same thing, though.

                  Ian
                • Trausti Hraunfjord
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 3, 2010
                    The Kinect is a very promising first step towards a different computing
                    experience, and the possible uses are probably endless... but.... how would
                    someone like Stephen Hawking get the most out of using a Kinect?

                    Trausti

                  • jann_lipka
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 21, 2010
                    • bigwade
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 25, 2010
                        http://vimeo.com/17624387 ??
                      • Ken Warner
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 25, 2010
                          Well, if the pano moves left, right, up, down with your
                          head motion -- how exactly is one able to look straight at
                          the pano?

                          bigwade wrote:
                          > http://vimeo.com/17624387 ??
                        • bigwade
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 25, 2010
                            No idea........
                            and what about auto-rotation ;-)
                          • prague
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 21, 2011
                              Hell yes!!!!!!!

                              http://www.ideum.com/blog/2011/01/gigapixel-kinect-controller/

                              :-)

                              Nice job Greg Downing & co. ;)
                            • panovrx
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 21, 2011
                                I got a Kinect a while back but finally got around to playing with it today. I followed the instructions here to get it working on XP
                                http://beta.innovation.rit.edu/csi2/main/blog/kTouch/115

                                Then I installed FAAST which emulates keystrokes with body movements and gestures with Kinect
                                http://projects.ict.usc.edu/mxr/faast/

                                Then I configured a text file for FAAST so the Kinect reads left and right body tilt as arrow key depressing -- and drove DevalVR panos around like that (and you can zoom by tilting forward and back via the a and y key emulation).

                                It is a pity you have to initialize the Kinect by adopting a "muscleman" pose (forearms vertical) at the start for a few seconds -- which might be an obstacle for a public installation -- I will test it and see how long it goes without needing reinitialization

                                PeterM

                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "prague" <360cities@...> wrote:

                                > Hell yes!!!!!!!
                                >

                                > http://www.ideum.com/blog/2011/01/gigapixel-kinect-controller/
                                >

                                > :-)
                                >
                                > Nice job Greg Downing & co. ;)

                              • bigwade
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 24, 2011
                                  bigwade junior had the same idea last week but he's using
                                  mouse functionality instead of the arrow keys.
                                  Have Fun!
                                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOJUUQWW7f4
                                • jann_lipka
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 24, 2011
                                    Your son is good - did he use mac or PC for the Kinect hack .

                                    We want details !!!
                                  • bigwade
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 25, 2011
                                      Hi Jann
                                      PC notebook

                                      Text bw junior:
                                      This is an example of how a panorama image can be controlled trough thin air
                                      using the kinect connected to a pc. Trough a program called FAAST the
                                      movement recorded by the kinect is translated into mouse movement and key
                                      presses.
                                      In this example the mouse is controlled by the left hand while the right
                                      hand to the front simulates left mouse click. Right hand to the side is
                                      mapped to f11, to get a fullscreen browser window. Leaning forwards and
                                      backwards zooms in and out.

                                      FAAST can be downloaded here: http://projects.ict.usc.edu/mxr/faast/
                                    • Carl von Einem
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 25, 2011
                                        Posted by: "bigwade"

                                        > bigwade junior had the same idea last week but he's using
                                        > mouse functionality instead of the arrow keys.
                                        > Have Fun!
                                        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOJUUQWW7f4

                                        Cool, the panorama is taken during the 2010 Panotools Meeting in
                                        Plymouth :-)

                                        Carl
                                      • Roger Howard
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 25, 2011
                                          On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

                                          > Well, if the pano moves left, right, up, down with your
                                          > head motion -- how exactly is one able to look straight at
                                          > the pano?

                                          Easy - you suspend a display from one of these, and have it track your head
                                          :)

                                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uEtsCdDUoE

                                        • jann_lipka
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 25, 2011
                                            Frank - You could try to sell this interactivity to Real Estate agents-
                                            they have those large TV screens in their windows here in Sweden - and probably would love customers making funny gestures in fron of their shops....
                                            The question is - how difficult is it to get grip of this kind of screen control .

                                            Good work !
                                          • fierodeval
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Feb 22, 2011
                                              These are good news http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2011/02/21/kinect-for-windows-sdk-to-arrive-spring-2011.aspx

                                              I will try to add Kinect support to DevalVR when the SDK is available.

                                              regards!
                                              fiero

                                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net" <360cities@...> wrote:

                                              > why, pray, has no one discussed how to use the kinect to control
                                              > (pan/tilt/zoom) panos?
                                              >
                                              > everyone here DOES know what a kinect is, right? speak up, if you don't, and
                                              > we'll explain.
                                              >
                                              > it is a fantastically exciting idea, to me.
                                              >
                                              > does anyone have any thoughts about it? maybe i missed the discussion? :-)

                                            • vinceoglo
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Feb 23, 2011
                                                Hi all,

                                                here is a video of a demonstration i done last week of Kinect controling gigapixel panorama of Rennes city in France, and using Krpano for displaying. The result with people was around was very suprising !

                                                http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh0z8l_cap-com-le-show-room_tech#from=embed

                                                Kinect open very good projects for the future of rich user interface.

                                                Regards