Lightweight suggestions

  • Kathy Wheeler
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 2, 2010
      Hi all.

      For years (decades actually) I've been a Nikon user, and their cameras and lenses have served me well. However I'm starting to have problems carrying a heavy camera/lens combo around my neck / shoulder for extended periods. Spent all day on my feet at the Beechworth Celtic Festival last month (with my D70 and 35-70mm lens) and spent the next 2 days fighting headaches, stiff neck and sore shoulders (and no it wasn't the Guiness - only had one glass ;-)

      What options are there that offer decent quality but light weight? Suggestions appreciated.

      KathyW.
    • Ken Warner
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2010
        Cruse

        http://dpreview.com/

        You can compare cameras.

        Kathy Wheeler wrote:
        > Hi all.
        >
        > For years (decades actually) I've been a Nikon user, and their cameras and lenses have served me well. However I'm starting to have problems carrying a heavy camera/lens combo around my neck / shoulder for extended periods. Spent all day on my feet at the Beechworth Celtic Festival last month (with my D70 and 35-70mm lens) and spent the next 2 days fighting headaches, stiff neck and sore shoulders (and no it wasn't the Guiness - only had one glass ;-)
        >
        > What options are there that offer decent quality but light weight? Suggestions appreciated.
        >
        > KathyW.

      • John Riley
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2010
          Check out micro-4/3 format. Olympus cameras and mostly Panasonic lenses for me, but also a bunch of old Olympus Pen F lenses from the 60's 8-) So light! Such beautiful images. Image stabilization in-camera, even with old manual lenses. Ahhhhh.

          John

          John Riley
          johnriley@...
          (h)864-461-3504
          (c)864-431-7075
          (w)864-503-5775

          On Dec 2, 2010, at 8:28 PM, Kathy Wheeler wrote:

          > Hi all.
          >
          > For years (decades actually) I've been a Nikon user, and their cameras and lenses have served me well. However I'm starting to have problems carrying a heavy camera/lens combo around my neck / shoulder for extended periods. Spent all day on my feet at the Beechworth Celtic Festival last month (with my D70 and 35-70mm lens) and spent the next 2 days fighting headaches, stiff neck and sore shoulders (and no it wasn't the Guiness - only had one glass ;-)
          >
          > What options are there that offer decent quality but light weight? Suggestions appreciated.
          >
          > KathyW.

        • Roger D. Williams
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2010
            On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 10:28:10 +0900, Kathy Wheeler
            <kathyw@...> wrote:

            > Hi all.
            >
            > For years (decades actually) I've been a Nikon user, and their cameras
            > and lenses have served me well. However I'm starting to have problems
            > carrying a heavy camera/lens combo around my neck / shoulder for
            > extended periods. Spent all day on my feet at the Beechworth Celtic
            > Festival last month (with my D70 and 35-70mm lens) and spent the next 2
            > days fighting headaches, stiff neck and sore shoulders (and no it wasn't
            > the Guiness - only had one glass ;-)
            >
            > What options are there that offer decent quality but light weight?
            > Suggestions appreciated.

            Hi, Kathy. I have exactly the self-same problem. I have neck problems
            that make me reluctant to pick up either my Nikon D300 or my Fujifilm
            S5 Pro (think D200). Slinging either (or both, as I used to) around
            my neck is no longer bearable, excellent though the results may be
            visually.

            My own solution has been to go over to the little Pentax K-x with either
            an 8mm circular fisheye or the 10-17mm zoom fisheye on a monopod.

            Maybe you should also see a doctor. I eventually had to, and I am
            getting some help over the neck problem.

            Roger W.

            --
            Business: www.adex-japan.com
            Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 3, 2010
              Instead of using the usual neck strap I'd try a combination of a
              supporting loop / hand strap (so the camera's handle can be secured in
              the palm of your hand, something like this
              <http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3350>) plus some
              not too big bag that can be attached to the belt (or has its own belt,
              e.g. <http://products.lowepro.com//CatalogImages/18-1988-IMG1_LRG.jpeg>)

              Carl

              ps.
              Markus Matern has a nice little Sony NEX-5, needs a lot more battery
              since it's lacking an optical viewfinder but otoh it's really compact
              and can use a lot of interesting lenses.

              Roger D. Williams schrieb am 03.12.10 04:44:
              > On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 10:28:10 +0900, Kathy Wheeler wrote:
              >>
              >> For years (decades actually) I've been a Nikon user, and their cameras
              >> and lenses have served me well. However I'm starting to have problems
              >> carrying a heavy camera/lens combo around my neck / shoulder for
              >> extended periods. Spent all day on my feet at the Beechworth Celtic
              >> Festival last month (with my D70 and 35-70mm lens) and spent the next 2
              >> days fighting headaches, stiff neck and sore shoulders (and no it wasn't
              >> the Guiness - only had one glass ;-)
              >>
              >> What options are there that offer decent quality but light weight?
              >> Suggestions appreciated.
              >
              > Hi, Kathy. I have exactly the self-same problem. I have neck problems
              > that make me reluctant to pick up either my Nikon D300 or my Fujifilm
              > S5 Pro (think D200). Slinging either (or both, as I used to) around
              > my neck is no longer bearable, excellent though the results may be
              > visually.
              >
              > My own solution has been to go over to the little Pentax K-x with either
              > an 8mm circular fisheye or the 10-17mm zoom fisheye on a monopod.
              >
              > Maybe you should also see a doctor. I eventually had to, and I am
              > getting some help over the neck problem.
            • Julian
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 3, 2010
                Kathy,

                My answer to the "stone around my neck" issue is a sling style camera strap. http://www.blackrapid.com/ I've found it makes it much easier to work with a heavy body/lens for long periods. Also I love that the camera is at my side, out of the way & less obtrusive than with the common neck strap. Yes, the strap is a bit pricey but the quality of construction & customer service are top shelf. Their stock strap, RS-7, was too short for my tall body & Black Rapid made adjustments for me no charge.
                Good Luck,
                Julian Kaiser
                > On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 10:28:10 +0900, Kathy Wheeler
                > <kathyw@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Hi all.
                > >
                > > For years (decades actually) I've been a Nikon user, and their cameras
                > > and lenses have served me well. However I'm starting to have problems
                > > carrying a heavy camera/lens combo around my neck / shoulder for
                > > extended periods. Spent all day on my feet at the Beechworth Celtic
                > > Festival last month (with my D70 and 35-70mm lens) and spent the next 2
                > > days fighting headaches, stiff neck and sore shoulders (and no it wasn't
                > > the Guiness - only had one glass ;-)
                > >
                > > What options are there that offer decent quality but light weight?
                > > Suggestions appreciated.

              • prague
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 3, 2010
                  something tells me both of you regularly carry things far heavier than a camera, and for a longer time.

                  are you sure the problem is not the camera, but rather the problem is the neck strap?

                  i find this very tempting
                  http://www.spiderholster.com/

                  > On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 10:28:10 +0900, Kathy Wheeler
                  > <kathyw@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hi all.
                  > >
                  > > For years (decades actually) I've been a Nikon user, and their cameras
                  > > and lenses have served me well. However I'm starting to have problems
                  > > carrying a heavy camera/lens combo around my neck / shoulder for
                  > > extended periods. Spent all day on my feet at the Beechworth Celtic
                  > > Festival last month (with my D70 and 35-70mm lens) and spent the next 2
                  > > days fighting headaches, stiff neck and sore shoulders (and no it wasn't
                  > > the Guiness - only had one glass ;-)
                  > >
                  > > What options are there that offer decent quality but light weight?
                  > > Suggestions appreciated.
                  >
                  > Hi, Kathy. I have exactly the self-same problem. I have neck problems
                  > that make me reluctant to pick up either my Nikon D300 or my Fujifilm
                  > S5 Pro (think D200). Slinging either (or both, as I used to) around
                  > my neck is no longer bearable, excellent though the results may be
                  > visually.
                  >
                  > My own solution has been to go over to the little Pentax K-x with either
                  > an 8mm circular fisheye or the 10-17mm zoom fisheye on a monopod.
                  >
                  > Maybe you should also see a doctor. I eventually had to, and I am
                  > getting some help over the neck problem.
                  >
                  > Roger W.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Business: www.adex-japan.com
                  > Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger

                • Don Bain
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 3, 2010
                    On Dec 2, 2010, at 5:28 PM, Kathy Wheeler wrote:

                    > What options are there that offer decent quality but light weight? Suggestions appreciated.

                    Kathy,

                    I have an Olympus E-P2 (micro-four thirds) which I am very happy with for general photography. Currently for panos I am using the 8mm fisheye from my Olympus "full" 4/3's, with an adapter. Problem is the lens is larger and heavier than the camera. I am waiting for Olympus to come out with their promised micro 4/3's fisheye. Then I will use that combo for pole panos and hiking with a staff/monopod.

                    A few weeks ago I walked around San Francisco shooting panos with Traugott Emrich, who had a brand new Panasonic micro 4/3's fisheye, on a Lumix GF-1. It was small and light, very similar to my E-P2. He was shooting with a monopod and his own custom mount. The Panasonic camera is a bit more expensive than my E-P2, and the lens costs more than I expect the Olympus lens to be. Since they are both m4/3's the lenses are interchangeable.

                    Traugott sent me some samples from his US trip, mentioning that he prefers the color from ones taken with his Olympus (an E-PL1 I believe). Maybe the perfect combination is the Panasonic lens on an Olympus body?

                    Here is a pano Traugott took with this rig, others are on 360Cities also (everything he did in San Francisco was on the GF-1). That's me on the right.

                    http://www.360cities.net/image/san-francisco-brewing-company#330.69,9.26,70.0

                    The next step in my quest for ultimate lightweight and compact gear is to use an iPad to organize and store the images, though probably not to stitch. Keith Martin has already done this (both uploading in the field and on-line stitching). I am waiting for the next version of the iPad, hoping it will support an external drive. On my Alaska trip this fall I backed up to a terabyte drive not much bigger than a pack of cards.

                    Don
                  • Roger D. Williams
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 3, 2010
                      Thank you, Carl.

                      On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 00:37:46 +0900, Carl von Einem <einem@...> wrote:

                      > Instead of using the usual neck strap I'd try a combination of a
                      > supporting loop / hand strap (so the camera's handle can be secured in
                      > the palm of your hand, something like this
                      > <http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3350>) plus some
                      > not too big bag that can be attached to the belt (or has its own belt,
                      > e.g. <http://products.lowepro.com//CatalogImages/18-1988-IMG1_LRG.jpeg>)
                      >
                      > Carl
                      >
                      > ps.
                      > Markus Matern has a nice little Sony NEX-5, needs a lot more battery
                      > since it's lacking an optical viewfinder but otoh it's really compact
                      > and can use a lot of interesting lenses.

                      These are both very valuable suggestions and within my budget. I had not
                      been thinking along these lines, but will now be sure to do so. While I
                      love my Pentax K-x, there is no doubt that in many ways the D300/Sigma 8mm
                      combination is clearly superior, and of course the Fujifilm S5 Pro with
                      its wider dynamic range and beautiful colour rendering is strictly
                      comparable in terms of final panorama resolution when used with the Nikon
                      10.5mm and six shots around.

                      I particuarly like the waist pouch idea. But the hand strap is cool, too.
                      Anything that takes the pressure of my poor neck! And the monopod? Well,
                      I can always use that as a walking stick!!

                      Roger W.

                      PS The Sony NEX-5 is also attractive, but I found the controls rather
                      frustrating and limited when I played with it in a camera store until
                      the assistant got rather restive. The Pentax K-x does very well for me.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 3, 2010
                        On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 03:20:56 +0900, prague <360cities@...> wrote:

                        > something tells me both of you regularly carry things far heavier than a
                        > camera, and for a longer time.

                        Don't listen to that something. It's misleading you in my case.

                        > are you sure the problem is not the camera, but rather the problem is
                        > the neck strap?

                        Hard to separate the two, since the cameras are all attached to heck
                        straps.

                        > i find this very tempting
                        > http://www.spiderholster.com/

                        Did you yield to temptation? It looks to me as if the widget that fits
                        on the bottom of the camera would get in the way of attaching it quickly
                        to a monopod. Or is there some way of handling this simply and easily?

                        I suppose a quick release plate attached to a lens ring might work?

                        Roger W.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 3, 2010
                          Kathy, take a read here:

                          http://www.bythom.com/compactmirrorless.htm

                          prague wrote:
                          > something tells me both of you regularly carry things far heavier than a camera, and for a longer time.
                          >
                          > are you sure the problem is not the camera, but rather the problem is the neck strap?
                          >
                          > i find this very tempting
                          > http://www.spiderholster.com/
                          >

                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...> wrote:
                          >> On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 10:28:10 +0900, Kathy Wheeler
                          >> <kathyw@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> Hi all.
                          >>>
                          >>> For years (decades actually) I've been a Nikon user, and their cameras
                          >>> and lenses have served me well. However I'm starting to have problems
                          >>> carrying a heavy camera/lens combo around my neck / shoulder for
                          >>> extended periods. Spent all day on my feet at the Beechworth Celtic
                          >>> Festival last month (with my D70 and 35-70mm lens) and spent the next 2
                          >>> days fighting headaches, stiff neck and sore shoulders (and no it wasn't
                          >>> the Guiness - only had one glass ;-)
                          >>>
                          >>> What options are there that offer decent quality but light weight?
                          >>> Suggestions appreciated.
                          >> Hi, Kathy. I have exactly the self-same problem. I have neck problems
                          >> that make me reluctant to pick up either my Nikon D300 or my Fujifilm
                          >> S5 Pro (think D200). Slinging either (or both, as I used to) around
                          >> my neck is no longer bearable, excellent though the results may be
                          >> visually.
                          >>
                          >> My own solution has been to go over to the little Pentax K-x with either
                          >> an 8mm circular fisheye or the 10-17mm zoom fisheye on a monopod.
                          >>
                          >> Maybe you should also see a doctor. I eventually had to, and I am
                          >> getting some help over the neck problem.
                          >>
                          >> Roger W.
                          >>
                          >> --
                          >> Business: www.adex-japan.com
                          >> Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger

                        • Fulvio Senore
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 4, 2010
                            I am the happy owner of a Panasonic G1 since almost one year. I chose it
                            because I often take mountain photos where I carry everything in a
                            backpack, so weight matters. The camera is really lightweight and I
                            really like using it. To use the words that many people already used: I
                            have fun using it.
                            I bought an adapter and I can even mount my old Nikon lenses: they work
                            well and it is fun using them, but things are much slower since
                            everything is manual.

                            The camera is not much different from a GF1, but it has a real
                            viewfinder and this is a must for me. Trying to frame a photo using the
                            LCD screen in high mountains where there is a lot of light is very
                            difficult, so a viewfinder is really useful. I am also too old to
                            appreciate a camera without a viewfinder.

                            If you can still find a G1 you are likely to get it at a very good
                            price, otherwise you can look for a G2 or GH2.

                            Fulvio Senore

                            Il 03/12/2010 2.28, Kathy Wheeler ha scritto:
                            > Hi all.
                            >
                            > For years (decades actually) I've been a Nikon user, and their cameras and lenses have served me well. However I'm starting to have problems carrying a heavy camera/lens combo around my neck / shoulder for extended periods. Spent all day on my feet at the Beechworth Celtic Festival last month (with my D70 and 35-70mm lens) and spent the next 2 days fighting headaches, stiff neck and sore shoulders (and no it wasn't the Guiness - only had one glass ;-)
                            >
                            > What options are there that offer decent quality but light weight? Suggestions appreciated.
                            >
                            > KathyW.
                            >
                            > ------------------------------------

                          • Jack
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 4, 2010
                              Another possibility that was pointed out to me several years ago by an infrared thermographer for using an IR camera (a lot heavier than a DSLR) is to use a tool belt with an attached suspender system. Disconnect the front of the suspenders from the belt and attach it to the camera. The belt and the suspenders on your shoulders then support the weight rather than your neck.

                              Here are some links from Home Depot of the type of tool belt that might work. (I have not tried this myself...yet.)

                              http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100155465/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

                              http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100634101/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

                              http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100672665/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

                              http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100006111/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

                              http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100672669/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

                              http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100634116/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

                              http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100155465/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

                              http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100006111/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

                              HTH
                              Jack
                              Jack M. Kleinfeld, P.E.
                              Kleinfeld Technical Services, Inc.
                              Infrared Thermography, Finite Element Analysis, Process Engineering

                              JKEngineer@... or JKEngineer@...
                              come see what we can do for you: http://www.KleinfeldTechnical.com