Re: Canon 15mm lens, making new L-bracket

  • Phil
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 2, 2010
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:
      > I want to make one also, but have to figure out angle degrees to bend at and length of bottom rail. Any pointers?
      >
      > A Kielcz

      The best pointer I have for you is to get a Nodal Ninja R1. It's the perfect stocking stuffer for Christmas and is more versatile than a homemade L bracket. The R1 is easy to adjust without using any tools. If you get up Christmas morning and find a piece of coal in your stocking when you were hoping to get the NN R1 here's how you can make your L bracket.

      Plan on making two of these with the first one being practice. With my first one the metal I used wasn't thick enough where the weight of the camera/lens would cause a little flex. Also after mounting the camera it was easy to see where I could make improvements with a second bracket. The first one would have worked but I was picky.

      I made a template out of heavy paper to get the bend angle close with the camera set up on my NN5. I drew the angle on a paper that became the template for the bend. I took this paper to a local 1 man metal shop and he made it out of a scrap piece of aluminum.

      The 3/8 thick aluminum, you don't want it any thinner, was sheared at 2.5" x 12". This is longer than it needs to be but after mounting the camera you'll trim off what isn't needed. He then had me mark the bend line using my paper template and he put the 90° bend on it using an industrial break.

      The hard part is getting your mounting holes in the right spot because you can't easily adjust them after you make them. Get precise measurements using your current panohead as a reference. Adjustments can only be made later using a big hammer with the L bracket in a heavy vice. 3/8 aluminum isn't easy to bend.

      My L bracket isn't perfect but it's good enough for using outside on a pole when there aren't objects close to the camera. I could try "fine tuning" it with a big hammer but I'm waiting to see if a NN R1 shows up in my stocking Christmas morning.

      Phil