Re: Lighting, portable and powerfully

  • jrgen_schrader
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2010
      Forget it.

      If you want to substitute your 1000W tungsten lights with battery powered ones you cannot lift the batteries :))

      Best light available on the market for your purpose are Dedo lights. They are small, powerfull, lightweight, constant, reliable, ... all one could wish for. Only if you look at the price list you will find a minor drawback. But as they are used by many film crews you might be able to rent them in major cities.

      Jürgen

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "felipe" <felipe_ing@...> wrote:

      > Hi, recently I got a request to shoot panoramas on 7 hotels on different cities, to get ready to fill with light the bigger spaces (halls, conference rooms, etc) I believe that I have to get some equipment as flashes or moonlight, I also take a look to tungsten lights
      >
      > I usually work with two 1000 w tungsten lights, but those are bulky and not so reliable (I use to have some replacement bulbs) and I have to carry long cables, search for power, etc.
      >
      > I wish to find guidance on lights powered by batteries and experience on this kind of projects
      >
      > Thanks
      > Juan Felipe

    • Bjørn K Nilssen
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2010
        På Thu, 02 Dec 2010 16:04:32 +0100, skrev felipe <felipe_ing@...>:

        > Hi, recently I got a request to shoot panoramas on 7 hotels on different cities, to get ready to fill with light the bigger spaces (halls, conference rooms, etc) I believe that I have to get some equipment as flashes or moonlight, I also take a look to tungsten lights
        >
        > I usually work with two 1000 w tungsten lights, but those are bulky and not so reliable (I use to have some replacement bulbs) and I have to carry long cables, search for power, etc.
        >
        > I wish to find guidance on lights powered by batteries and experience on this kind of projects

        Hans posted this link a little while ago http://www.fotodiox.com/product_info.php?products_id=395
        to some LED video lights he was using on a project. They look great :)
        But filling a conference hall??
        Aren't those hotels lit from before, and why do you need extra light?

        --
        Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.
      • felipe
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2010
          Thanks for the guidance, my desire to find a portable solution belong to a experience on big rooms where I got in problems with the ceiling lights, windows etc. it make me to work more at the computer and some times to come back again to repeat the photos, also a portable solution will be easier to travel.

          If I have to travel to other cities, I can´t return home with pictures not so close to the level of quality

          also I don´t know what I will find, I mean nice ilumination, regular, etc.. big rooms, dark decoration

          less than 1000 watts looks to be not enoug to fill some situations, what experiences do you have with flash lights?

          Regards

          Juan

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:

          > På Thu, 02 Dec 2010 16:04:32 +0100, skrev felipe <felipe_ing@...>:
          >
          > > Hi, recently I got a request to shoot panoramas on 7 hotels on different cities, to get ready to fill with light the bigger spaces (halls, conference rooms, etc) I believe that I have to get some equipment as flashes or moonlight, I also take a look to tungsten lights
          > >
          > > I usually work with two 1000 w tungsten lights, but those are bulky and not so reliable (I use to have some replacement bulbs) and I have to carry long cables, search for power, etc.
          > >
          > > I wish to find guidance on lights powered by batteries and experience on this kind of projects
          >
          > Hans posted this link a little while ago http://www.fotodiox.com/product_info.php?products_id=395
          > to some LED video lights he was using on a project. They look great :)
          > But filling a conference hall??
          > Aren't those hotels lit from before, and why do you need extra light?
          >

          > --
          > Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.

        • onezebra1
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2010
            This is my favorite large light stand, only good for outdoors or very large rooms:
            http://indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/light_stand3.html

            Roger Berry

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "felipe" <felipe_ing@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the guidance, my desire to find a portable solution belong to a experience on big rooms where I got in problems with the ceiling lights, windows etc. it make me to work more at the computer and some times to come back again to repeat the photos, also a portable solution will be easier to travel.
            >
            > If I have to travel to other cities, I can´t return home with pictures not so close to the level of quality
            >
            > also I don´t know what I will find, I mean nice ilumination, regular, etc.. big rooms, dark decoration
            >
            > less than 1000 watts looks to be not enoug to fill some situations, what experiences do you have with flash lights?
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Juan

          • Bjørn K Nilssen
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2010
              På Fri, 03 Dec 2010 00:58:19 +0100, skrev felipe <felipe_ing@...>:

              > Thanks for the guidance, my desire to find a portable solution belong to a experience on big rooms where I got in problems with the ceiling lights, windows etc. it make me to work more at the computer and some times to come back again to repeat the photos, also a portable solution will be easier to travel.
              >
              > If I have to travel to other cities, I can´t return home with pictures not so close to the level of quality
              >
              > also I don´t know what I will find, I mean nice ilumination, regular, etc.. big rooms, dark decoration
              >
              > less than 1000 watts looks to be not enoug to fill some situations, what experiences do you have with flash lights?

              I've never used flash for panoramas (and rarely for any other projects).
              I have never used any other lighting for interiors neither. Only extra light was using a flashlight (LED) for some local light on some outdoor night shots. Very bluish light..
              What I do is to use HDR and/or exposure fusion.
              That solves a lot of problems, but WB gets tricky with cool daylight through windows combined with warm interior illumination.
              But those LED panels looks nice...

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 3, 2010
                I think it really depends on what you or the photographer wants.
                HDR can of course solve a lot of problem but not all.

                If the customer doesn't care or has no idea what he could get with additional light then HDR is fine. But in cases the room is not properly lit or the tables are in the wrong places, or whatever, you are trapped.
                http://bavaria360.de/mbh/04.html

                Instead of this one could use additional light as our fellow photographer Harmeth Singh, whom i met in Cologne at the IVRPA conference during Photokina, does. He does a lot of shootings for luxury hotels in India and also a lot of panoramas. He told me that he is travelling with a heap of lighting equipment and barely manages to shoot more then two panorama per day. Guess why ...
                http://www.hardevsinghphotography.com

                Jürgen

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 3, 2010
                  På Fri, 03 Dec 2010 13:32:11 +0100, skrev jrgen_schrader <panorama@...>:

                  > I think it really depends on what you or the photographer wants.
                  > HDR can of course solve a lot of problem but not all.
                  >
                  > If the customer doesn't care or has no idea what he could get with additional light then HDR is fine. But in cases the room is not properly lit or the tables are in the wrong places, or whatever, you are trapped.
                  > http://bavaria360.de/mbh/04.html
                  >
                  > Instead of this one could use additional light as our fellow photographer Harmeth Singh, whom i met in Cologne at the IVRPA conference during Photokina, does. He does a lot of shootings for luxury hotels in India and also a lot of panoramas. He told me that he is travelling with a heap of lighting equipment and barely manages to shoot more then two panorama per day. Guess why ...
                  > http://www.hardevsinghphotography.com

                  With traditional interior photography lighting wouldn't be a problem, but with 360 panos you have the additional problem of how to hide the light fixtures, tripods, stands, umbrellas, reflectors etc from the 360 view, and still get an even and good illumination.
                  How do they solve that problem?
                  It is often hard enough just to remove the camera tripod and its cast shadows, if there's no nadir shot...

                  BTW, I didn't find any 360 panos at that Indian site?

                  --
                  Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.
                • Rodolpho Pajuaba
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 3, 2010
                    Regarding lighting a room, I guess it's very feasible if you use
                    small, light strobes, like LumoPRO 160: www.lumopro.com . If you buy
                    them with a Strobist Rosco Gel Pack kit, like this one from Mpex:
                    http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/2,913.html you can balance the color
                    and the intensity of the lighting.

                    2010/12/3 Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...>:
                    > På Fri, 03 Dec 2010 13:32:11 +0100, skrev jrgen_schrader <panorama@...>:

                    Regards,
                    --
                    Rodolpho Pajuaba
                    www.pajuaba.com.br/heterose
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 3, 2010
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Rodolpho Pajuaba <rpajuaba@...> wrote:

                      > Regarding lighting a room, I guess it's very feasible if you use
                      > small, light strobes, like LumoPRO 160: www.lumopro.com . If you buy
                      > them with a Strobist Rosco Gel Pack kit, like this one from Mpex:
                      > http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/2,913.html you can balance the color
                      > and the intensity of the lighting.
                      >
                      > 2010/12/3 Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...>:
                      > > På Fri, 03 Dec 2010 13:32:11 +0100, skrev jrgen_schrader <panorama@...>:
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > --
                      > Rodolpho Pajuaba
                      > www.pajuaba.com.br/heterose
                      > www.pajuaba.com.br/panoblog
                      > www.pajuaba.com.br/traduzindophotoshop
                      > Follow me on Twitter - @rpajuaba

                      Ok, I see that not so big and powerfull lamps + hdri will be a way to get nice panoramas on poor light conditions

                      Thanks

                      Juan