Re: [PanoToolsNG] NN Rotator Horizontal Weight/Stress Limit

  • michael crane
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2010
      On Wed, December 1, 2010 10:31 pm, Phil wrote:
      > Has anyone used their Nodal Ninja rotator at a 45°+ angle or horizontally
      > and had anything 'bad' happen? I don't know what the limit's are on using
      > it this way and I'm assuming that it wasn't designed support a camera at
      > the end of an extended horizontal monopod. Straight up vertical it's fine
      > but when the it's tipped to the side the forces change on the internal
      > parts.
      >
      > Example:
      > http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/JokerHeli/temp/_MG_8972.jpg?t=1291240549

      you have to ask why ?
    • Flatliner
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2010
        On Dec 1, 2010, at 3:39 PM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > 9a. NN Rotator Horizontal Weight/Stress Limit
        > Posted by: "Phil" philip@... philwarner007
        > Date: Wed Dec 1, 2010 2:31 pm ((PST))
        >
        > Has anyone used their Nodal Ninja rotator at a 45°+ angle or horizontally and had anything 'bad' happen? I don't know what the limit's are on using it this way and I'm assuming that it wasn't designed support a camera at the end of an extended horizontal monopod. Straight up vertical it's fine but when the it's tipped to the side the forces change on the internal parts.
        >
        > Example: http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/JokerHeli/temp/_MG_8972.jpg?t=1291240549
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Phil

        I take the nadir' shot of my NN3/monopod pole panos while held at 45 degrees and I have not noticed any issues. I have also used the NN3/monopod set held out horizontal w/o any problems other than the NN3 would sometimes spin from the off-center camera COG (I had to really tighten the NN3 vertical axis set screw to get it to stay in position while turning the pole though).

        However (there is always a however) I wouldn't recommend using a quick release between the pole and ninja. Last spring I had my NN3 (with camera) take a 5' fall (directly on the uncovered lens of course) when the locking edge of my quick release plate sheared off while being carried horizontally over my shoulder. Apparently the torquing force of the NN3/Camera/lens weight was too much for it when horizontal.

        Camera & NN3 lived, but it meant a new fisheye due to the scratches from landing in the sand and pea rock on the hiking trail. The lens was a Peleng 8mm but I am so much happier with its replacement (a Sigma 8mm) that I'm not sure if I can classify the incident as something 'bad'.

        David