Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Canon 15mm lens, making new L-bracket

  • A Kielcz
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
      can you post picture of your bracket?

      A Kielcz

      Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

      --- On Mon, 11/29/10, onezebra1 <onezebra1@...> wrote:

      From: onezebra1 <onezebra1@...>
      Subject: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Canon 15mm lens, making new L-bracket
      To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, November 29, 2010, 11:36 PM

      I did some fine tuning to my pano head bracket using a small sledgehammer, tomorrow I will set it up on a tripod and try to get it perfect.

      Stitching the 9 photos using PTGui the best I can get out of this Canon 15mm lens is 176°, looks like this lens will not do 180°

      Here is another test shot, it has more stitching errors than the first one, may have been from pole wobble. You can also see the aluminum bracket below, I will grind that down when finished tweaking it. The black part you see is the knob holding it to the pole.

      http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/5553.html

      Roger Berry

    • Phil
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
        You can see a picture of his L bracket on his website.

        http://indiavrtours.com/about_us.html

        Here's one that I made that's almost the same as Roger's but my aluminum is a little wider and I added a quick release for the camera.

        http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/JokerHeli/temp/_MG_8972.jpg?t=1291240549

        Phil

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:

        > can you post picture of your bracket?
        >
        > A Kielcz
        >
        > Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.
      • A Kielcz
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
          I want to make one also, but have to figure out angle degrees to bend at and length of bottom rail. Any pointers?

          A Kielcz

          Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

          You can see a picture of his L bracket on his website.

          http://indiavrtours.com/about_us.html

          Here's one that I made that's almost the same as Roger's but my aluminum is a little wider and I added a quick release for the camera.

          http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/JokerHeli/temp/_MG_8972.jpg?t=1291240549

          Phil

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:

          > can you post picture of your bracket?

          > A Kielcz

          > Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

        • onezebra1
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
            I went out today and tested my new Canon 15mm lens setup overlooking Lake Casitas along Hwy 150, Casitas Pass Rd.
            I can't say that I like the lens flare or Chromatic Aberration from this lens. I may return it and wait for the new Canon 8-15mm lens.
            I posted this shot on 360ctiies, I wanted to see how the larger image would look compared to others I have posted there.
            http://www.360cities.net/image/lake-casitas-view-from-hwy-150-casitas-pass-rd#200.96,-8.03,27.7

            I will try to post a image of my bracket tomorrow,

            Roger Berry
          • jrgen_schrader
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2010
              Roger, the CA is very easy to correct during RAW development. Many others will agree that for a fisheye lense the optic quality of the Canon 15 mm is amongst the finest you will get. I don't expect the 8-15 have less aberrations.

              Jürgen

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

              > I went out today and tested my new Canon 15mm lens setup overlooking Lake Casitas along Hwy 150, Casitas Pass Rd.
              > I can't say that I like the lens flare or Chromatic Aberration from this lens. I may return it and wait for the new Canon 8-15mm lens.
              > I posted this shot on 360ctiies, I wanted to see how the larger image would look compared to others I have posted there.
              > http://www.360cities.net/image/lake-casitas-view-from-hwy-150-casitas-pass-rd#200.96,-8.03,27.7
              >
              > I will try to post a image of my bracket tomorrow,
              >
              > Roger Berry

            • Hans
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 2, 2010

                > Roger, the CA is very easy to correct during RAW development. Many others will agree that for a fisheye lense the optic quality of the Canon 15 mm is amongst the finest you will get. I don't expect the 8-15 have less aberrations.

                Agree completely.
                I have not seen any other fisheye yet that can compete with the Canon 15mm

                But if you use it like Roger does and trigger it to use the worst areas of it you can not expect it to produce the best quality all over.

                Even if the Canon 15mm is the best you need to stop down to F11 to have maximum sharpness at the outer corners.
                Those areas are never used when you shoot normally with 6+1 images.

                Hans

                > Jürgen
                >
                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" <onezebra1@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I went out today and tested my new Canon 15mm lens setup overlooking Lake Casitas along Hwy 150, Casitas Pass Rd.
                > > I can't say that I like the lens flare or Chromatic Aberration from this lens. I may return it and wait for the new Canon 8-15mm lens.
                > > I posted this shot on 360ctiies, I wanted to see how the larger image would look compared to others I have posted there.
                > > http://www.360cities.net/image/lake-casitas-view-from-hwy-150-casitas-pass-rd#200.96,-8.03,27.7
                > >
                > > I will try to post a image of my bracket tomorrow,
                > >
                > > Roger Berry

              • jrgen_schrader
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 2, 2010
                  Well observed, Hans, you are right. I didn't think of that.
                  In this case for outdoor sceneries I would prefer to tilt the camera down and shoot the Zenit separately. But to me it looks as if Roger didn't correct any CAs at all as they were clearly visible even in the small window.

                  I did something similar here:
                  http://bavaria360.de/maxsolar/eggstaett_1.html
                  from about 4m, single pole, with the 15mm mounted on my panohead.
                  As I had never done this before with the 15mm I took plenty of images and picked a few for stitching. With a ring solution and some practice that might work pretty well. Don't ask how long it took for the Nadir patch, though ;)

                  Jürgen

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jrgen_schrader" <panorama@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Roger, the CA is very easy to correct during RAW development. Many others will agree that for a fisheye lense the optic quality of the Canon 15 mm is amongst the finest you will get. I don't expect the 8-15 have less aberrations.
                  >
                  > Agree completely.
                  > I have not seen any other fisheye yet that can compete with the Canon 15mm
                  >
                  > But if you use it like Roger does and trigger it to use the worst areas of it you can not expect it to produce the best quality all over.
                  >
                  > Even if the Canon 15mm is the best you need to stop down to F11 to have maximum sharpness at the outer corners.
                  > Those areas are never used when you shoot normally with 6+1 images.
                  >
                  > Hans
                  >

                  > > Jürgen
                  > >
                  > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" <onezebra1@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I went out today and tested my new Canon 15mm lens setup overlooking Lake Casitas along Hwy 150, Casitas Pass Rd.
                  > > > I can't say that I like the lens flare or Chromatic Aberration from this lens. I may return it and wait for the new Canon 8-15mm lens.
                  > > > I posted this shot on 360ctiies, I wanted to see how the larger image would look compared to others I have posted there.
                  > > > http://www.360cities.net/image/lake-casitas-view-from-hwy-150-casitas-pass-rd#200.96,-8.03,27.7
                  > > >
                  > > > I will try to post a image of my bracket tomorrow,
                  > > >
                  > > > Roger Berry

                • prague
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 2, 2010
                    ok,
                    speaking of fullframe fisheyes,
                    who can guess what lens this was?
                    http://www.360cities.net/image/santiago-de-cuba-province-border-2
                    not my best pano, not my worst, but i'd call it "totally adequate" althought i'm sure there's someone out there who disagrees.

                    (yes except that i didn't patch nadir, i know i know)

                    > Well observed, Hans, you are right. I didn't think of that.
                    > In this case for outdoor sceneries I would prefer to tilt the camera down and shoot the Zenit separately. But to me it looks as if Roger didn't correct any CAs at all as they were clearly visible even in the small window.
                    >
                    > I did something similar here:
                    > http://bavaria360.de/maxsolar/eggstaett_1.html
                    > from about 4m, single pole, with the 15mm mounted on my panohead.
                    > As I had never done this before with the 15mm I took plenty of images and picked a few for stitching. With a ring solution and some practice that might work pretty well. Don't ask how long it took for the Nadir patch, though ;)
                    >
                    > J�rgen

                    > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jrgen_schrader" <panorama@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Roger, the CA is very easy to correct during RAW development. Many others will agree that for a fisheye lense the optic quality of the Canon 15 mm is amongst the finest you will get. I don't expect the 8-15 have less aberrations.
                    > >
                    > > Agree completely.
                    > > I have not seen any other fisheye yet that can compete with the Canon 15mm
                    > >
                    > > But if you use it like Roger does and trigger it to use the worst areas of it you can not expect it to produce the best quality all over.
                    > >
                    > > Even if the Canon 15mm is the best you need to stop down to F11 to have maximum sharpness at the outer corners.
                    > > Those areas are never used when you shoot normally with 6+1 images.
                    > >
                    > > Hans
                    > >

                    > > > J�rgen

                  • jrgen_schrader
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 2, 2010
                      zenitar 16 mm :p

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "prague" <360cities@...> wrote:

                      > ok,
                      > speaking of fullframe fisheyes,
                      > who can guess what lens this was?
                      > http://www.360cities.net/image/santiago-de-cuba-province-border-2
                      > not my best pano, not my worst, but i'd call it "totally adequate" althought i'm sure there's someone out there who disagrees.
                      >
                      > (yes except that i didn't patch nadir, i know i know)
                      >

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jrgen_schrader" <panorama@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Well observed, Hans, you are right. I didn't think of that.
                      > > In this case for outdoor sceneries I would prefer to tilt the camera down and shoot the Zenit separately. But to me it looks as if Roger didn't correct any CAs at all as they were clearly visible even in the small window.
                      > >
                      > > I did something similar here:
                      > > http://bavaria360.de/maxsolar/eggstaett_1.html
                      > > from about 4m, single pole, with the 15mm mounted on my panohead.
                      > > As I had never done this before with the 15mm I took plenty of images and picked a few for stitching. With a ring solution and some practice that might work pretty well. Don't ask how long it took for the Nadir patch, though ;)
                      > >
                      > > J�rgen
                      > >

                      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <hans@> wrote:

                      > > > Agree completely.
                      > > > I have not seen any other fisheye yet that can compete with the Canon 15mm
                      > > >
                      > > > But if you use it like Roger does and trigger it to use the worst areas of it you can not expect it to produce the best quality all over.
                      > > >
                      > > > Even if the Canon 15mm is the best you need to stop down to F11 to have maximum sharpness at the outer corners.
                      > > > Those areas are never used when you shoot normally with 6+1 images.
                      > > >
                      > > > Hans

                    • onezebra1
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 2, 2010
                        Using this new 8-15mm lens would replace my Nikon 10.5mm and Canon 15mm lens for daylight shots and could be set to just under 15mm, and hopefully get full 180 degrees diagonally, or maybe even more.
                        On the Canon website for the 8-15mm lens they state "overall image quality exceeds that of the previous Canon 15mm fisheye design"

                        My big problem is the bad lens flare I got yesterday, this was shot @ f/8.
                        http://www.indiavrtours.com/pic/15mm_flare.jpg

                        Roger Berry
                      • bigwade
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 2, 2010
                          HeyHey Jurgen ;-)
                          grtz!
                        • Phil
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 2, 2010
                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:
                            > I want to make one also, but have to figure out angle degrees to bend at and length of bottom rail. Any pointers?
                            >
                            > A Kielcz

                            The best pointer I have for you is to get a Nodal Ninja R1. It's the perfect stocking stuffer for Christmas and is more versatile than a homemade L bracket. The R1 is easy to adjust without using any tools. If you get up Christmas morning and find a piece of coal in your stocking when you were hoping to get the NN R1 here's how you can make your L bracket.

                            Plan on making two of these with the first one being practice. With my first one the metal I used wasn't thick enough where the weight of the camera/lens would cause a little flex. Also after mounting the camera it was easy to see where I could make improvements with a second bracket. The first one would have worked but I was picky.

                            I made a template out of heavy paper to get the bend angle close with the camera set up on my NN5. I drew the angle on a paper that became the template for the bend. I took this paper to a local 1 man metal shop and he made it out of a scrap piece of aluminum.

                            The 3/8 thick aluminum, you don't want it any thinner, was sheared at 2.5" x 12". This is longer than it needs to be but after mounting the camera you'll trim off what isn't needed. He then had me mark the bend line using my paper template and he put the 90° bend on it using an industrial break.

                            The hard part is getting your mounting holes in the right spot because you can't easily adjust them after you make them. Get precise measurements using your current panohead as a reference. Adjustments can only be made later using a big hammer with the L bracket in a heavy vice. 3/8 aluminum isn't easy to bend.

                            My L bracket isn't perfect but it's good enough for using outside on a pole when there aren't objects close to the camera. I could try "fine tuning" it with a big hammer but I'm waiting to see if a NN R1 shows up in my stocking Christmas morning.

                            Phil