panomonkey beta

  • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
      Ok, the word got out, I was hoping we'd have things in better order before
      all the pano folks found out about it, but hey, so it goes.

      So, yes, Panomonkey is an online stitcher. It can handle handheld, tripod,
      fisheye, non-fisheye, etc. panoramas.

      It is still in beta and fails as often as it succeeds. Many improvements
      have been already made but not deployed on the live site.

      Some of the more stubborn folks out there will think we're going to poison
      the whole world of panos, or some other silly conspiracy theory.
      Other people such as Keith ;-) will see it as just another tool which when
      used in the right way, can be useful.

      For the experienced / pioneers / masters on this list, Panomonkey is almost
      definitely not a tool for you. As everyone knows, I also use PTGui
      extensively, and also Autopano Giga, and also Hugin. These are all great
      tools which offer a degree of control far beyond what Panomonkey ever aims
      to provide. And that is the main idea - if shot correctly, no one should
      ever have to deal with all this technical stuff. You can if you want (and I
      want to myself, also, as you know).

      Anyway, whoever does want to try it, please reserve any judgment for another
      month or two - the product is really still in Beta.

      If anyone wants to help as beta testers (that means, you make a real effort
      and put some time in to help test the site and the product) please contact
      me off-list.

      cheers,
      Jeffrey

    • Ned Chiariello
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
        Jeffrey'
        I thinks it's a great idea, been telling all my non panorama friends about it. You can get a fisheye adaptor for the iPhone, has anyone tried to make a VR panorama that way? Seems to me if you offered HTML5 as an option you could even offer a iPhone app for uploading and viewing.

        On Dec 1, 2010, at 2:59 AM, Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net wrote:

        > Ok, the word got out, I was hoping we'd have things in better order before
        > all the pano folks found out about it, but hey, so it goes.
        >
        > So, yes, Panomonkey is an online stitcher. It can handle handheld, tripod,
        > fisheye, non-fisheye, etc. panoramas.
        >
        > It is still in beta and fails as often as it succeeds. Many improvements
        > have been already made but not deployed on the live site.
        >
        > Some of the more stubborn folks out there will think we're going to poison
        > the whole world of panos, or some other silly conspiracy theory.
        > Other people such as Keith ;-) will see it as just another tool which when
        > used in the right way, can be useful.
        >
        > For the experienced / pioneers / masters on this list, Panomonkey is almost
        > definitely not a tool for you. As everyone knows, I also use PTGui
        > extensively, and also Autopano Giga, and also Hugin. These are all great
        > tools which offer a degree of control far beyond what Panomonkey ever aims
        > to provide. And that is the main idea - if shot correctly, no one should
        > ever have to deal with all this technical stuff. You can if you want (and I
        > want to myself, also, as you know).
        >
        > Anyway, whoever does want to try it, please reserve any judgment for another
        > month or two - the product is really still in Beta.
        >
        > If anyone wants to help as beta testers (that means, you make a real effort
        > and put some time in to help test the site and the product) please contact
        > me off-list.
        >
        > cheers,
        > Jeffrey

      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
          Sometime around 1/12/10 (at 10:59 +0100) Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net said:

          >Ok, the word got out, I was hoping we'd have things in better order before
          >all the pano folks found out about it, but hey, so it goes.

          :-)
          Sorry about spoiling any controlled announcement plans! It is beta,
          but as the demonstration panoramas, er, 'demonstrate' it can work
          rather well.

          I'm looking forward to this maturing. I wouldn't expect it to be a
          match for critical, hand-tuned stitching, but it seems very
          effective. I'll certainly work on streamlining the iPad-based
          select/upload workflow. And it could be very helpful for getting
          people (students in particular) started with this stuff.

        • prague
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2010
            http://www.360cities.net/search/panomonkey

            these were all made using panomonkey and shot HANDHELD. i'm the first to admit that i know the ideal way to shoot for input, so i have an advantage. the main goal for panomonkey at this point is to show people how to shoot like this to get the same quality.

            but really, honestly,
            http://www.360cities.net/image/waterfall-near-okor-czech-republic

            how much better can you do spending TIME stitching this? (except my missing hand) (yes i know many of you can do better - but you get my point i hope)

            Anyway, at least one panomonkey user already has gone on to buy PTGui (that I know of). I hope we're "increasing the size of the pie" (meaning, "it's not how big your slice of the pie is, it's how big the pie is, that matters")

            cheers,
            Jeffrey