RE: [PanoToolsNG] Why does 360cities hijack the browser still?

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 30, 2010
      I agree, it is pretty annoying.

      Most sites, have a button you can click to generate the dynamic link for
      sharing instead.

      Fortunately, 360cities is about the only site that I've ever come across
      that does this.

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 1, 2010
        Hi ayrton,

        > Wooooow
        > :-(
        > Have you seen this too on this panoMONKEY :
        > "Can I publish my panoramas on 360Cities.net? 360Cities.net is a separate
        > product from Panomonkey and has image quality standards. If your panoramas
        > meet the quality requirements of 360 Cities, then - Yes, You Can! "

        what is the problem with that?

        FYI everyone panomonkey is still very much in beta. More often than not it still doesn't work as expected.

        cheers,
        Jeffrey
      • prague
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 1, 2010
          Hi Robert,

          I guess i'll take it as a compliment that you think we are such evil masterminds :-) it's simply a bug which we still didn't fix. We are not trying to hijack anything. This bug really annoys me too. But we're a small team with too many things to do.

          cheers,
          Jeffrey

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "robert" <image360@...> wrote:

          > Jeffery,
          >
          > WTF,
          >
          > Why do you allow 360cities to hijack the browser much like I'm hijacking this thread.
          >
          > Disabling the back arrow or button is really bad Internet behavior, it's much, much worse than forcing full screen on someone.
          >
          > The more I experience this the more I refrain from clicking on any link related to 360cities.
          >
          > FIX IT, stop the stupid rude browser behavior.
          >
          > Robert

        • prague
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 1, 2010
            Robert,

            You realize that you hijacked a thread on this list to complain about this?

            :-)))

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "robert" <image360@...> wrote:

            > Jeffery,
            >
            > WTF,
            >
            > Why do you allow 360cities to hijack the browser much like I'm hijacking this thread.
            >
            > Disabling the back arrow or button is really bad Internet behavior, it's much, much worse than forcing full screen on someone.
            >
            > The more I experience this the more I refrain from clicking on any link related to 360cities.
            >
            > FIX IT, stop the stupid rude browser behavior.
            >
            > Robert

          • prague
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 1, 2010
              We're still playing with prices, it is currently 2.50 euro / pano, and we'll try monthly subscriptions starting next month (january)

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jan Martin <janmartin@...> wrote:

              > Anyone found their prices?
              >

              > On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 6:42 PM, panovrx <panovrx@...> wrote:
              >

              > > and Panomonkey gives you "polyphasic exposure" technology too :-)
              > > http://www.panomonkey.com/panorama-software/questions
              > >
              > > "What don't I have to learn?
              > >
              > > You don't have to learn how to correct or compensate for lens distortion,
              > > sensor shift, chromatic aberration, bayer interpolation, unsharp masks,
              > > noise reduction, polyphasic exposure, tonemapping. That's only the
              > > beginning. If you want to learn all that stuff, feel free. Since we've
              > > already thought about it for you, there is probably no need. "
              > >

              > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Keith
              > > Martin <keith@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > This afternoon I spent some time in the student demonstration in
              > > > central London, taking photos and running a twitter feed description
              > > > of the event. It wasn't easy shooting panoramas, mainly because we
              > > > kept moving! But I did make a few.
              > > >
              > > > And here I must mention Jeffrey Martin's rather superb
              > > > http://www.Panomonkey.com, an automated way to stitch images into
              > > > panoramas. It worked better than I'd hoped, let alone expected!
              > > >
              > > > At the end of the day I took a breather in a Starbucks. I connected
              > > > my camera to my iPad and copied the shots to it. I then used the
              > > > GoodReader app to zip a few sets of shots and FTP them across.
              > > > Panomonkey accepts zip archives as the way of identifying images to
              > > > be treated together.
              > > >
              > > > Some results are here already:
              > > >
              > > > http://www.360cities.net/image/picture-4-panorama
              > > >
              > > > http://www.360cities.net/image/picture-2-panorama
              > > >
              > > > Sure, there are stitching flaws; it isn't perfect. But this is
              > > > actually better than many I've seen done by hand - and it is
              > > > automatic. I will produce my own fine-tuned panos and fix the nadirs
              > > > as well, but this allowed my to get my shots stitched and online
              > > > before I even got home. Rock and, as they say, roll. :-)
              > > >
              > > > Oh, the demos today, at least the London ones, were fairly peaceful,
              > > > although there were points where it seemed like it might not be. You
              > > > can get a slight feel for it if you look at my Twitter feed from
              > > > midday onwards: http://twitter.com/thatkeith - go back until you see
              > > > stuff from me musing on how I'd get stuff uploaded. Then read upwards.

            • AYRTON
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 1, 2010
                On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 7:45 AM, prague <360cities@...> wrote:

                > Hi ayrton,
                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:
                > > Wooooow
                > > :-(
                > > Have you seen this too on this panoMONKEY :
                > > "Can I publish my panoramas on 360Cities.net? 360Cities.net is a
                > separate
                > > product from Panomonkey and has image quality standards. If your
                > panoramas
                > > meet the quality requirements of 360 Cities, then - Yes, You Can! "
                > >

                > what is the problem with that?

                hahahahaha
                You're very sarcastic Jeffrey
                666 hugs to you
                :-)

                best
                AYRTON

                > cheers,
                > Jeffrey

                + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                http://ayrton360.com
                twitter.com/ayrton360

              • michael crane
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 1, 2010
                  On Wed, December 1, 2010 12:57 am, Keith Martin wrote:

                  > http://www.360cities.net/image/picture-4-panorama

                  apparently one of those students spraypainted the word "REVOLUTION" on
                  nelson's column

                  LOL

                  mick

                  --
                  mickiwiki.com
                • prague
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 2, 2010
                    666 hugs back, my brazilian friend :)

                    maybe this FAQ is badly written.

                    what it means to say is that 360cities requires a certain level of quality (fully spherical panoramas, etc.) to join.

                    panomonkey (and other stitching software) can create any kind of garbage. garbage in -> garbage out. right? so, you cannot make garbage on panomonkey and expect to publish that on 360cities / google earth. that's all.

                    is this not clear in the FAQ?