Student demonstration panoramas

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 30, 2010
      This afternoon I spent some time in the student demonstration in
      central London, taking photos and running a twitter feed description
      of the event. It wasn't easy shooting panoramas, mainly because we
      kept moving! But I did make a few.

      And here I must mention Jeffrey Martin's rather superb
      http://www.Panomonkey.com, an automated way to stitch images into
      panoramas. It worked better than I'd hoped, let alone expected!

      At the end of the day I took a breather in a Starbucks. I connected
      my camera to my iPad and copied the shots to it. I then used the
      GoodReader app to zip a few sets of shots and FTP them across.
      Panomonkey accepts zip archives as the way of identifying images to
      be treated together.

      Some results are here already:

      http://www.360cities.net/image/picture-4-panorama

      http://www.360cities.net/image/picture-2-panorama

      Sure, there are stitching flaws; it isn't perfect. But this is
      actually better than many I've seen done by hand - and it is
      automatic. I will produce my own fine-tuned panos and fix the nadirs
      as well, but this allowed my to get my shots stitched and online
      before I even got home. Rock and, as they say, roll. :-)

      Oh, the demos today, at least the London ones, were fairly peaceful,
      although there were points where it seemed like it might not be. You
      can get a slight feel for it if you look at my Twitter feed from
      midday onwards: http://twitter.com/thatkeith - go back until you see
      stuff from me musing on how I'd get stuff uploaded. Then read upwards.

    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 30, 2010
        and Panomonkey gives you "polyphasic exposure" technology too :-)
        http://www.panomonkey.com/panorama-software/questions

        "What don't I have to learn?

        You don't have to learn how to correct or compensate for lens distortion, sensor shift, chromatic aberration, bayer interpolation, unsharp masks, noise reduction, polyphasic exposure, tonemapping. That's only the beginning. If you want to learn all that stuff, feel free. Since we've already thought about it for you, there is probably no need. "

        > This afternoon I spent some time in the student demonstration in
        > central London, taking photos and running a twitter feed description
        > of the event. It wasn't easy shooting panoramas, mainly because we
        > kept moving! But I did make a few.
        >
        > And here I must mention Jeffrey Martin's rather superb
        > http://www.Panomonkey.com, an automated way to stitch images into
        > panoramas. It worked better than I'd hoped, let alone expected!
        >
        > At the end of the day I took a breather in a Starbucks. I connected
        > my camera to my iPad and copied the shots to it. I then used the
        > GoodReader app to zip a few sets of shots and FTP them across.
        > Panomonkey accepts zip archives as the way of identifying images to
        > be treated together.
        >
        > Some results are here already:
        >
        > http://www.360cities.net/image/picture-4-panorama
        >
        > http://www.360cities.net/image/picture-2-panorama
        >
        > Sure, there are stitching flaws; it isn't perfect. But this is
        > actually better than many I've seen done by hand - and it is
        > automatic. I will produce my own fine-tuned panos and fix the nadirs
        > as well, but this allowed my to get my shots stitched and online
        > before I even got home. Rock and, as they say, roll. :-)
        >
        > Oh, the demos today, at least the London ones, were fairly peaceful,
        > although there were points where it seemed like it might not be. You
        > can get a slight feel for it if you look at my Twitter feed from
        > midday onwards: http://twitter.com/thatkeith - go back until you see
        > stuff from me musing on how I'd get stuff uploaded. Then read upwards.

      • Jan Martin
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 30, 2010
          Anyone found their prices?

          On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 6:42 PM, panovrx <panovrx@...> wrote:

          > and Panomonkey gives you "polyphasic exposure" technology too :-)
          > http://www.panomonkey.com/panorama-software/questions
          >
          > "What don't I have to learn?
          >
          > You don't have to learn how to correct or compensate for lens distortion,
          > sensor shift, chromatic aberration, bayer interpolation, unsharp masks,
          > noise reduction, polyphasic exposure, tonemapping. That's only the
          > beginning. If you want to learn all that stuff, feel free. Since we've
          > already thought about it for you, there is probably no need. "
          >

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Keith
          > Martin <keith@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > This afternoon I spent some time in the student demonstration in
          > > central London, taking photos and running a twitter feed description
          > > of the event. It wasn't easy shooting panoramas, mainly because we
          > > kept moving! But I did make a few.
          > >
          > > And here I must mention Jeffrey Martin's rather superb
          > > http://www.Panomonkey.com, an automated way to stitch images into
          > > panoramas. It worked better than I'd hoped, let alone expected!
          > >
          > > At the end of the day I took a breather in a Starbucks. I connected
          > > my camera to my iPad and copied the shots to it. I then used the
          > > GoodReader app to zip a few sets of shots and FTP them across.
          > > Panomonkey accepts zip archives as the way of identifying images to
          > > be treated together.
          > >
          > > Some results are here already:
          > >
          > > http://www.360cities.net/image/picture-4-panorama
          > >
          > > http://www.360cities.net/image/picture-2-panorama
          > >
          > > Sure, there are stitching flaws; it isn't perfect. But this is
          > > actually better than many I've seen done by hand - and it is
          > > automatic. I will produce my own fine-tuned panos and fix the nadirs
          > > as well, but this allowed my to get my shots stitched and online
          > > before I even got home. Rock and, as they say, roll. :-)
          > >
          > > Oh, the demos today, at least the London ones, were fairly peaceful,
          > > although there were points where it seemed like it might not be. You
          > > can get a slight feel for it if you look at my Twitter feed from
          > > midday onwards: http://twitter.com/thatkeith - go back until you see
          > > stuff from me musing on how I'd get stuff uploaded. Then read upwards.

        • AYRTON
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 30, 2010
            On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:42 PM, panovrx <panovrx@...> wrote:

            > and Panomonkey gives you "polyphasic exposure" technology too :-)
            > http://www.panomonkey.com/panorama-software/questions
            >
            > "What don't I have to learn?
            >
            > You don't have to learn how to correct or compensate for lens distortion,
            > sensor shift, chromatic aberration, bayer interpolation, unsharp masks,
            > noise reduction, polyphasic exposure, tonemapping. That's only the
            > beginning. If you want to learn all that stuff, feel free. Since we've
            > already thought about it for you, there is probably no need. "

            Wooooow
            :-(
            Have you seen this too on this panoMONKEY :
            "Can I publish my panoramas on 360Cities.net? 360Cities.net is a separate
            product from Panomonkey and has image quality standards. If your panoramas
            meet the quality requirements of 360 Cities, then - Yes, You Can! "

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > This afternoon I spent some time in the student demonstration in
            > > central London, taking photos and running a twitter feed description
            > > of the event. It wasn't easy shooting panoramas, mainly because we
            > > kept moving! But I did make a few.
            > >
            > > And here I must mention Jeffrey Martin's rather superb
            > > http://www.Panomonkey.com, an automated way to stitch images into
            > > panoramas. It worked better than I'd hoped, let alone expected!
            > >
            > > At the end of the day I took a breather in a Starbucks. I connected
            > > my camera to my iPad and copied the shots to it. I then used the
            > > GoodReader app to zip a few sets of shots and FTP them across.
            > > Panomonkey accepts zip archives as the way of identifying images to
            > > be treated together.
            > >
            > > Some results are here already:
            > >
            > > http://www.360cities.net/image/picture-4-panorama
            > >
            > > http://www.360cities.net/image/picture-2-panorama
            > >
            > > Sure, there are stitching flaws; it isn't perfect. But this is
            > > actually better than many I've seen done by hand - and it is
            > > automatic. I will produce my own fine-tuned panos and fix the nadirs
            > > as well, but this allowed my to get my shots stitched and online
            > > before I even got home. Rock and, as they say, roll. :-)
            > >
            > > Oh, the demos today, at least the London ones, were fairly peaceful,
            > > although there were points where it seemed like it might not be. You
            > > can get a slight feel for it if you look at my Twitter feed from
            > > midday onwards: http://twitter.com/thatkeith - go back until you see
            > > stuff from me musing on how I'd get stuff uploaded. Then read upwards.

            > ------------------------------ ------

            + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
            + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
            http://ayrton360.com
            twitter.com/ayrton360

          • michael crane
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 30, 2010
              On Wed, December 1, 2010 12:57 am, Keith Martin wrote:
              > This afternoon I spent some time in the student demonstration in
              > central London, taking photos and running a twitter feed description
              > of the event. It wasn't easy shooting panoramas, mainly because we
              > kept moving! But I did make a few.

              I thought there were too many students at university but there only seem
              to be a couple of hundred, I can't see what the fuss is about.

              mick

              --
              mickiwiki.com
            • Roger D. Williams
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 30, 2010
                On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 10:46:12 +0900, Jan Martin
                <janmartin@...> wrote:

                > Anyone found their prices?

                Yes. 2.5 EUR for any panorama you want to keep. Others? Try free, and
                forget.

                Roger W.

                --
                Business: www.adex-japan.com
                Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 30, 2010
                  On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 11:01:20 +0900, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:

                  > On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:42 PM, panovrx <panovrx@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> and Panomonkey gives you "polyphasic exposure" technology too :-)
                  >> http://www.panomonkey.com/panorama-software/questions
                  >>
                  >> "What don't I have to learn?
                  >>
                  >> You don't have to learn how to correct or compensate for lens
                  >> distortion,
                  >> sensor shift, chromatic aberration, bayer interpolation, unsharp masks,
                  >> noise reduction, polyphasic exposure, tonemapping. That's only the
                  >> beginning. If you want to learn all that stuff, feel free. Since we've
                  >> already thought about it for you, there is probably no need. "
                  >>

                  > Wooooow
                  > :-(
                  > Have you seen this too on this panoMONKEY :
                  > "Can I publish my panoramas on 360Cities.net? 360Cities.net is a
                  > separate
                  > product from Panomonkey and has image quality standards. If your
                  > panoramas
                  > meet the quality requirements of 360 Cities, then - Yes, You Can! "

                  That seems pretty reasonable to me. The PanoMonkey software will obviously
                  not be able to turn anything and everything submitted into good panoramas.
                  Too much depends on whether people read the instructions! It looks like a
                  very good deal... and a fairly painless way to learn whether you are ready
                  to start stitching them yourself. (Not "you" = Ayrton. "You" in general.)

                  Roger W.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 30, 2010
                    2010/12/1 Roger D. Williams <roger@...>

                    > > (Not "you" = Ayrton. "You" in general.)

                    heheheheh
                    I get it Roger :-)

                    > Roger W.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Business: www.adex-japan.com

                    + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                    + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                    http://ayrton360.com
                    twitter.com/ayrton360

                  • robert
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 30, 2010
                      Jeffery,

                      WTF,

                      Why do you allow 360cities to hijack the browser much like I'm hijacking this thread.

                      Disabling the back arrow or button is really bad Internet behavior, it's much, much worse than forcing full screen on someone.

                      The more I experience this the more I refrain from clicking on any link related to 360cities.

                      FIX IT, stop the stupid rude browser behavior.

                      Robert
                    • Sacha Griffin
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 30, 2010
                        I agree, it is pretty annoying.

                        Most sites, have a button you can click to generate the dynamic link for
                        sharing instead.

                        Fortunately, 360cities is about the only site that I've ever come across
                        that does this.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 1, 2010
                          Hi ayrton,

                          > Wooooow
                          > :-(
                          > Have you seen this too on this panoMONKEY :
                          > "Can I publish my panoramas on 360Cities.net? 360Cities.net is a separate
                          > product from Panomonkey and has image quality standards. If your panoramas
                          > meet the quality requirements of 360 Cities, then - Yes, You Can! "

                          what is the problem with that?

                          FYI everyone panomonkey is still very much in beta. More often than not it still doesn't work as expected.

                          cheers,
                          Jeffrey
                        • prague
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 1, 2010
                            Hi Robert,

                            I guess i'll take it as a compliment that you think we are such evil masterminds :-) it's simply a bug which we still didn't fix. We are not trying to hijack anything. This bug really annoys me too. But we're a small team with too many things to do.

                            cheers,
                            Jeffrey

                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "robert" <image360@...> wrote:

                            > Jeffery,
                            >
                            > WTF,
                            >
                            > Why do you allow 360cities to hijack the browser much like I'm hijacking this thread.
                            >
                            > Disabling the back arrow or button is really bad Internet behavior, it's much, much worse than forcing full screen on someone.
                            >
                            > The more I experience this the more I refrain from clicking on any link related to 360cities.
                            >
                            > FIX IT, stop the stupid rude browser behavior.
                            >
                            > Robert

                          • prague
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 1, 2010
                              Robert,

                              You realize that you hijacked a thread on this list to complain about this?

                              :-)))

                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "robert" <image360@...> wrote:

                              > Jeffery,
                              >
                              > WTF,
                              >
                              > Why do you allow 360cities to hijack the browser much like I'm hijacking this thread.
                              >
                              > Disabling the back arrow or button is really bad Internet behavior, it's much, much worse than forcing full screen on someone.
                              >
                              > The more I experience this the more I refrain from clicking on any link related to 360cities.
                              >
                              > FIX IT, stop the stupid rude browser behavior.
                              >
                              > Robert

                            • prague
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 1, 2010
                                We're still playing with prices, it is currently 2.50 euro / pano, and we'll try monthly subscriptions starting next month (january)

                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 1, 2010
                                  On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 7:45 AM, prague <360cities@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi ayrton,
                                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:
                                  > > Wooooow
                                  > > :-(
                                  > > Have you seen this too on this panoMONKEY :
                                  > > "Can I publish my panoramas on 360Cities.net? 360Cities.net is a
                                  > separate
                                  > > product from Panomonkey and has image quality standards. If your
                                  > panoramas
                                  > > meet the quality requirements of 360 Cities, then - Yes, You Can! "
                                  > >

                                  > what is the problem with that?

                                  hahahahaha
                                  You're very sarcastic Jeffrey
                                  666 hugs to you
                                  :-)

                                  best
                                  AYRTON

                                  > cheers,
                                  > Jeffrey

                                  + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                                  + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                                  http://ayrton360.com
                                  twitter.com/ayrton360

                                • michael crane
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 1, 2010
                                    On Wed, December 1, 2010 12:57 am, Keith Martin wrote:

                                    > http://www.360cities.net/image/picture-4-panorama

                                    apparently one of those students spraypainted the word "REVOLUTION" on
                                    nelson's column

                                    LOL

                                    mick

                                    --
                                    mickiwiki.com
                                  • prague
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 2, 2010
                                      666 hugs back, my brazilian friend :)

                                      maybe this FAQ is badly written.

                                      what it means to say is that 360cities requires a certain level of quality (fully spherical panoramas, etc.) to join.

                                      panomonkey (and other stitching software) can create any kind of garbage. garbage in -> garbage out. right? so, you cannot make garbage on panomonkey and expect to publish that on 360cities / google earth. that's all.

                                      is this not clear in the FAQ?