Imagemagick - looking for good tutorial or book

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 30, 2010
      Hi,
      I want do convert thousands of images using the commandline tool imagemagick.

      Unfortunately, I don't find the things I'm searching for at http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/
      I am quite sure, that every bit of information is in there, but it's to time consuming for me, to find it.

      Do you know of any easy to read/use tutorial or book, that you could recommend?

      Thanks!
      Peter
    • Jan Martin
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 30, 2010
        Just tell what you want to do and we might provide a pointer.

        Jan

        --
        http://www.DIY-streetview.org

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 30, 2010
          Am 30.11.2010 18:00, schrieb Peter:
          > Unfortunately, I don't find the things I'm searching for athttp://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/
          > I am quite sure, that every bit of information is in there, but it's to time consuming for me, to find it.

          It's easier to start on the options page. It is crammed as well but you
          can search it using your browser search...

          -> http://www.imagemagick.org/script/command-line-options.php
          Or use the options summary:
          -> http://www.imagemagick.org/script/convert.php#options

        • michael crane
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 30, 2010
            On Tue, November 30, 2010 5:47 pm, Erik Krause wrote:
            > Am 30.11.2010 18:00, schrieb Peter:
            >> Unfortunately, I don't find the things I'm searching for
            >> athttp://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/
            <snip>
            > -> http://www.imagemagick.org/script/convert.php#options

            That's the one but the syntax is crucial and not always obvious I found.
            I'll look for the line I use.

            mick

            --
            mickiwiki.com
          • michael crane
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 30, 2010
              > That's the one but the syntax is crucial and not always obvious I found.
              > I'll look for the line I use.

              it's something like

              convert *.jpg -crop xsize x ysize +a+b new%03d.jpg

              I think a and b are the offset

              or

              convert -resize xsize x ysize new%003.jpg

              mick
            • John Riley
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 1, 2010
                If you are resizing, you may want to consider sizimg from Ken Turkowski: http://www.realitypixels.com/products/sizimg.html.

                John Riley
                johnriley@...
                (h)864-461-3504
                (c)864-431-7075
                (w)864-503-5775

              • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 1, 2010
                  Looks interesting.
                  I've been using Irfanview to do my resizing in a batch file.

                  Do you know if you can use a set of switches in sizimg to have outer bounds
                  for horizontal and vertical sizes but keep the aspect of the image
                  regardless of landscape/portrait orientation.

                  Eg. I can use the following command for irfanview to resize an image to have
                  it's longest edge be 800pix
                  (so the height would be 800pix if the image was in portrait or the width
                  would be 800pix if the image was in landscape)

                  "i_view32.exe" <sourceimage_path&name> /resize=(800,800) /aspectratio
                  /resample /convert="<destinationimage_path&name>"

                  Cheers,
                  Darren.

                  )If you are resizing, you may want to consider sizimg from Ken
                  )Turkowski: http://www.realitypixels.com/products/sizimg.html.
                  )
                  )John Riley
                  )johnriley@...
                  )(h)864-461-3504
                  )(c)864-431-7075
                  )(w)864-503-5775
                  )
                  )On Nov 30, 2010, at 12:00 PM, Peter wrote:
                  )
                  )> Hi,
                  )> I want do convert thousands of images using the commandline
                  )tool imagemagick.
                  )>
                  )> Unfortunately, I don't find the things I'm searching for at
                  )> http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/ I am quite sure, that
                  )every bit of information is in there, but it's to time
                  )consuming for me, to find it.
                  )>
                  )> Do you know of any easy to read/use tutorial or book, that
                  )you could recommend?
                  )>
                  )> Thanks!
                  )> Peter
                  )>
                  )>
                  )
                  )
                  )
                  )[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  )
                • John Riley
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 2, 2010
                    I haven't used it lately, but I am pretty sure you can do that. The documentation is terse, but should tell you.

                    John

                    John Riley
                    johnriley@...
                    (h)864-461-3504
                    (c)864-431-7075
                    (w)864-503-5775

                  • Fulvio Senore
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 4, 2010
                      If all you want to do is resize the images you can use this:

                      http://www.fsoft.it/imaging/en/Default.htm

                      the standalone program is free, the image quality is very high and it
                      can do what you need in a very simple way.

                      Fulvio Senore

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 7, 2010
                        This looks good!
                        Is there a way to pass command line options to the program, and exit upon
                        completion?

                        Thanks,
                        Darren.

[...]
                        )> )
                        )> )John Riley
                        )> )johnriley@...
                        )> )(h)864-461-3504
                        )> )(c)864-431-7075
                        )> )(w)864-503-5775
                        )> )
                        )> )On Nov 30, 2010, at 12:00 PM, Peter wrote:
                        )> )
                        )> )> Hi,
                        )> )> I want do convert thousands of images using the
                        )commandline )tool
                        )> imagemagick.
                        )> )>
[...]
                        )> ------------------------------------
                        )>
                        )
                        )
                        )------------------------------------
                        )
                        )--
                        )
                        )
                        )
                        )
                      • Fulvio Senore
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 7, 2010
                          No, at the moment this is only a GUI program waiting for input from the
                          user.
                          I realize that I could add a command-line version, anyway.

                          Fulvio

                        • Peter
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 14, 2010
                            Thanks a lot!
                            In the meantime, I found what I needed.

                            This is my final result, a single convert-command, that I apply to thousands of images (generated by Excel).

                            "convert Drehungen\25_0829\DSC_2844.tif -crop 2807x1491+170+152 +repage -resize 380x -gravity center -background white -extent 380x357 -unsharp 0.2+3+0 -profile sRGB.icc -strip -quality 90 export-pd\~25_0829\25_0829_normal_015.jpg"

                            Peter

                            (thread closed)