Re: How much control over viewing parameters does the end-user want?

  • prague
    Message 1 of 62 , Nov 29, 2010
      in that case, "zoomtocursor" is a very good idea.

      try it everybody.

      http://krpano.com/krpano.html?pano=panos/kirche/kirche.xml

      click the triangle in the top right corner.

      then click "zoomtocursor" so it's on.

      you might have to go to fullscreen to enable the scrollwheel zooming.

      thoughts?

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "bryant_arnett" <mail3@...> wrote:

      > Hi, everyone.
      >
      > I wish to clarify my previous comment about 360cities.net to say that the auto-rotation is only found on the home page (the editor's picks) and it rightfully adds a dynamic element to that page. When browsing the other images at the site, there is no auto-rotation. Yea!
      >
      > I also wish to add one more thing in general terms about zooming in today's world. I'm not directing this specifically at 360cities, but to practically all the sites I find out there lately:
      >
      > I feel like zooming is often sluggish and lacks any precision. I want to feel like I'm in control, looking through the lens of a virtual camera and framing my own shots. I come across many sites where it seems zooming is like pushing a skateboard and wondering where it will come to rest. Yuk!
      >
      > Anyway, that's just more of me spouting my opinion. I've been away from VR photography for a while, and there is a lot of catching up for me to do. I have a lot to learn.
      >
      > Because I am now off the original "click/hold mouse is losing the click/drag war" topic, I am changing the topic title to "How much control over viewing parameters does the end-user want?"
      >
      > And my answer to my own question is... All of it.
      >
      > Thanks for listening.
      >
      > ````````Bryant
      >

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "bryant_arnett" <mail3@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I really like the navigation at 360Cities. There are some things I would change if I could. Especially the excessive zoom hysteresis and the annoying auto rotation. I love the transitions from image to image, and the maps and data management are great.

    • prague
      Message 62 of 62 , Nov 30, 2010
        Bryant, you know that I'm on your side - I want control too - but things aren't (and should not be) made for us. just admit it :)

        "don't make me click"
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuELwq2ThJE
        watch it!

        think of all the things in the world that have great design.

        for example
        http://www.tipb.com/2010/10/06/sony-google-tv-apple-tv-remotes/
        :-)))

        anyway, this is turning into another religious war. having fine-grained control over something is separate from designing simplicity. great design allows full control, but hides it from the novices.