Canon 15mm lens, making new L-bracket

  • onezebra1
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 28, 2010
      I picked up a Canon 15mm lens to help make higher quality panos when using a pole.
      First thing I did was to use one of my old pano head L-brackets, put it in a vice and beat it with a sledgehammer to about 70° (I use thick aluminum bar stock) and it turned out to be fairly close to what I was looking for. Here's the first pano shot from my pole, I used 9 shots round to make it.
      http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/3333.html

      For this pano I reduced the cube sizes from 4,444 to 2,222 pixels.

      I will be doing some fine tuning next, already got the 70° on the money and will be sliding the camera forward about 8mm.

      Roger Berry
    • Phil
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 28, 2010
        You're as talented with a sledgehammer as you are with a camera. I never tried the Canon 15mm on the pole because I thought the N+Z holes would be too large. Your N+Z look easy to patch so maybe I'll have to try it.

        My L bracket is close to your design but I added a quick release for the camera.

        Phil
      • onezebra1
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 29, 2010
          I got the idea from the trick used for the Sigma 8mm lens where you mount the camera 60 degrees diagonally.
          The Canon 15mm f/2.8 Covers a diagonal angle of 180° so rotating the camera seemed like a good idea!
          I made a mistake in my first post saying the bracket was 70° when it's really 60°

          Agno's makes the MrotatorG pano head for doing this, here's a PDF showing how it's done.
          http://www.agnos.com/dati/download/download/manuali/mrotcshoweng.pdf

          Roger Berry

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Phil" <philip@...> wrote:

          > You're as talented with a sledgehammer as you are with a camera. I never tried the Canon 15mm on the pole because I thought the N+Z holes would be too large. Your N+Z look easy to patch so maybe I'll have to try it.
          >
          > My L bracket is close to your design but I added a quick release for the camera.
          >
          > Phil

        • onezebra1
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 29, 2010
            I did some fine tuning to my pano head bracket using a small sledgehammer, tomorrow I will set it up on a tripod and try to get it perfect.
            Stitching the 9 photos using PTGui the best I can get out of this Canon 15mm lens is 176°, looks like this lens will not do 180°

            Here is another test shot, it has more stitching errors than the first one, may have been from pole wobble. You can also see the aluminum bracket below, I will grind that down when finished tweaking it. The black part you see is the knob holding it to the pole.
            http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/5553.html

            Roger Berry
          • Wim Koornneef
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 30, 2010
              Hello Roger,

              With your sledge hammered bracket to set the camera in a 60 degree slanted
              position you make an optimal use of the diagonal fov of the lens. Despite
              this it is obvious that even with so many images you can't fill both holes
              in zenith and nadir without additional patch images.

              Because in most pole panos nadir is much more important then zenith you can
              use a down tilt of -5 to -10 degree of the lens to get a full cover of nadir
              (and then limit the tilt of the player or patch/clone zenith).

              To get rid of the visibility of the black and aluminium parts in nadir you
              can also shift the lens a little forward out of NPP, a small shift of just
              10 to 15 mm can often do the trick and you will not see any extra stitching
              errors as long as you are not to close to objects in the scene.

              A thumb of rule for NPP shifts, for fisheye lenses and normal pano
              resolutions you can get away with a NPP error of 1 cm per meter distance to
              close by objects. So a NPP error of 2 cm if OK as long as the object is at
              least 2 meter away from the lens.

              Instead of hammering a bracket to mount the camera in a slanted position it
              is also possible to use a lens ring for this.
              I am sure you know most, if not all of the above, but other readers may not
              ;-)

              Happy slanted shooting greetings,
              Wim
            • onezebra1
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 30, 2010
                I did a little more fine tuning and think this is about as good as it's going to get using the Canon 15mm, which is only 176° when mounted on the 5D-II.
                The diagonal angle is 155°
                http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/77.html

                Now my question is what FOV will the Sigma 15mm lens give you on a Canon 5D-II

                I did not find any lens rings for sale that are made to use with this Canon 15mm lens.
                When I can afford it I would like to try this with 2 cameras and shoot some 3D panos.

                Roger Berry

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:

                > Hello Roger,
                >
                > With your sledge hammered bracket to set the camera in a 60 degree slanted
                > position you make an optimal use of the diagonal fov of the lens. Despite
                > this it is obvious that even with so many images you can't fill both holes
                > in zenith and nadir without additional patch images.
                >
                > Because in most pole panos nadir is much more important then zenith you can
                > use a down tilt of -5 to -10 degree of the lens to get a full cover of nadir
                > (and then limit the tilt of the player or patch/clone zenith).
                >
                > To get rid of the visibility of the black and aluminium parts in nadir you
                > can also shift the lens a little forward out of NPP, a small shift of just
                > 10 to 15 mm can often do the trick and you will not see any extra stitching
                > errors as long as you are not to close to objects in the scene.
                >
                > A thumb of rule for NPP shifts, for fisheye lenses and normal pano
                > resolutions you can get away with a NPP error of 1 cm per meter distance to
                > close by objects. So a NPP error of 2 cm if OK as long as the object is at
                > least 2 meter away from the lens.
                >
                > Instead of hammering a bracket to mount the camera in a slanted position it
                > is also possible to use a lens ring for this.
                > I am sure you know most, if not all of the above, but other readers may not
                > ;-)
                >
                > Happy slanted shooting greetings,
                > Wim

              • A Kielcz
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
                  can you post picture of your bracket?

                  A Kielcz

                  Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
                    You can see a picture of his L bracket on his website.

                    http://indiavrtours.com/about_us.html

                    Here's one that I made that's almost the same as Roger's but my aluminum is a little wider and I added a quick release for the camera.

                    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/JokerHeli/temp/_MG_8972.jpg?t=1291240549

                    Phil

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:

                    > can you post picture of your bracket?
                    >
                    > A Kielcz
                    >
                    > Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.
                  • A Kielcz
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
                      I want to make one also, but have to figure out angle degrees to bend at and length of bottom rail. Any pointers?

                      A Kielcz

                      Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

                      You can see a picture of his L bracket on his website.

                      http://indiavrtours.com/about_us.html

                      Here's one that I made that's almost the same as Roger's but my aluminum is a little wider and I added a quick release for the camera.

                      http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/JokerHeli/temp/_MG_8972.jpg?t=1291240549

                      Phil

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:

                      > can you post picture of your bracket?

                      > A Kielcz

                      > Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

                    • onezebra1
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 1, 2010
                        I went out today and tested my new Canon 15mm lens setup overlooking Lake Casitas along Hwy 150, Casitas Pass Rd.
                        I can't say that I like the lens flare or Chromatic Aberration from this lens. I may return it and wait for the new Canon 8-15mm lens.
                        I posted this shot on 360ctiies, I wanted to see how the larger image would look compared to others I have posted there.
                        http://www.360cities.net/image/lake-casitas-view-from-hwy-150-casitas-pass-rd#200.96,-8.03,27.7

                        I will try to post a image of my bracket tomorrow,

                        Roger Berry
                      • jrgen_schrader
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 2, 2010
                          Roger, the CA is very easy to correct during RAW development. Many others will agree that for a fisheye lense the optic quality of the Canon 15 mm is amongst the finest you will get. I don't expect the 8-15 have less aberrations.

                          Jürgen

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

                          > I went out today and tested my new Canon 15mm lens setup overlooking Lake Casitas along Hwy 150, Casitas Pass Rd.
                          > I can't say that I like the lens flare or Chromatic Aberration from this lens. I may return it and wait for the new Canon 8-15mm lens.
                          > I posted this shot on 360ctiies, I wanted to see how the larger image would look compared to others I have posted there.
                          > http://www.360cities.net/image/lake-casitas-view-from-hwy-150-casitas-pass-rd#200.96,-8.03,27.7
                          >
                          > I will try to post a image of my bracket tomorrow,
                          >
                          > Roger Berry

                        • Hans
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 2, 2010

                            > Roger, the CA is very easy to correct during RAW development. Many others will agree that for a fisheye lense the optic quality of the Canon 15 mm is amongst the finest you will get. I don't expect the 8-15 have less aberrations.

                            Agree completely.
                            I have not seen any other fisheye yet that can compete with the Canon 15mm

                            But if you use it like Roger does and trigger it to use the worst areas of it you can not expect it to produce the best quality all over.

                            Even if the Canon 15mm is the best you need to stop down to F11 to have maximum sharpness at the outer corners.
                            Those areas are never used when you shoot normally with 6+1 images.

                            Hans

                            > Jürgen
                            >
                            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" <onezebra1@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I went out today and tested my new Canon 15mm lens setup overlooking Lake Casitas along Hwy 150, Casitas Pass Rd.
                            > > I can't say that I like the lens flare or Chromatic Aberration from this lens. I may return it and wait for the new Canon 8-15mm lens.
                            > > I posted this shot on 360ctiies, I wanted to see how the larger image would look compared to others I have posted there.
                            > > http://www.360cities.net/image/lake-casitas-view-from-hwy-150-casitas-pass-rd#200.96,-8.03,27.7
                            > >
                            > > I will try to post a image of my bracket tomorrow,
                            > >
                            > > Roger Berry

                          • jrgen_schrader
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 2, 2010
                              Well observed, Hans, you are right. I didn't think of that.
                              In this case for outdoor sceneries I would prefer to tilt the camera down and shoot the Zenit separately. But to me it looks as if Roger didn't correct any CAs at all as they were clearly visible even in the small window.

                              I did something similar here:
                              http://bavaria360.de/maxsolar/eggstaett_1.html
                              from about 4m, single pole, with the 15mm mounted on my panohead.
                              As I had never done this before with the 15mm I took plenty of images and picked a few for stitching. With a ring solution and some practice that might work pretty well. Don't ask how long it took for the Nadir patch, though ;)

                              Jürgen

                              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jrgen_schrader" <panorama@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Roger, the CA is very easy to correct during RAW development. Many others will agree that for a fisheye lense the optic quality of the Canon 15 mm is amongst the finest you will get. I don't expect the 8-15 have less aberrations.
                              >
                              > Agree completely.
                              > I have not seen any other fisheye yet that can compete with the Canon 15mm
                              >
                              > But if you use it like Roger does and trigger it to use the worst areas of it you can not expect it to produce the best quality all over.
                              >
                              > Even if the Canon 15mm is the best you need to stop down to F11 to have maximum sharpness at the outer corners.
                              > Those areas are never used when you shoot normally with 6+1 images.
                              >
                              > Hans
                              >

                              > > Jürgen
                              > >
                              > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" <onezebra1@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > I went out today and tested my new Canon 15mm lens setup overlooking Lake Casitas along Hwy 150, Casitas Pass Rd.
                              > > > I can't say that I like the lens flare or Chromatic Aberration from this lens. I may return it and wait for the new Canon 8-15mm lens.
                              > > > I posted this shot on 360ctiies, I wanted to see how the larger image would look compared to others I have posted there.
                              > > > http://www.360cities.net/image/lake-casitas-view-from-hwy-150-casitas-pass-rd#200.96,-8.03,27.7
                              > > >
                              > > > I will try to post a image of my bracket tomorrow,
                              > > >
                              > > > Roger Berry

                            • prague
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 2, 2010
                                ok,
                                speaking of fullframe fisheyes,
                                who can guess what lens this was?
                                http://www.360cities.net/image/santiago-de-cuba-province-border-2
                                not my best pano, not my worst, but i'd call it "totally adequate" althought i'm sure there's someone out there who disagrees.

                                (yes except that i didn't patch nadir, i know i know)

                                > Well observed, Hans, you are right. I didn't think of that.
                                > In this case for outdoor sceneries I would prefer to tilt the camera down and shoot the Zenit separately. But to me it looks as if Roger didn't correct any CAs at all as they were clearly visible even in the small window.
                                >
                                > I did something similar here:
                                > http://bavaria360.de/maxsolar/eggstaett_1.html
                                > from about 4m, single pole, with the 15mm mounted on my panohead.
                                > As I had never done this before with the 15mm I took plenty of images and picked a few for stitching. With a ring solution and some practice that might work pretty well. Don't ask how long it took for the Nadir patch, though ;)
                                >
                                > J�rgen

                                > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jrgen_schrader" <panorama@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Roger, the CA is very easy to correct during RAW development. Many others will agree that for a fisheye lense the optic quality of the Canon 15 mm is amongst the finest you will get. I don't expect the 8-15 have less aberrations.
                                > >
                                > > Agree completely.
                                > > I have not seen any other fisheye yet that can compete with the Canon 15mm
                                > >
                                > > But if you use it like Roger does and trigger it to use the worst areas of it you can not expect it to produce the best quality all over.
                                > >
                                > > Even if the Canon 15mm is the best you need to stop down to F11 to have maximum sharpness at the outer corners.
                                > > Those areas are never used when you shoot normally with 6+1 images.
                                > >
                                > > Hans
                                > >

                                > > > J�rgen

                              • jrgen_schrader
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 2, 2010
                                  zenitar 16 mm :p

                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "prague" <360cities@...> wrote:

                                  > ok,
                                  > speaking of fullframe fisheyes,
                                  > who can guess what lens this was?
                                  > http://www.360cities.net/image/santiago-de-cuba-province-border-2
                                  > not my best pano, not my worst, but i'd call it "totally adequate" althought i'm sure there's someone out there who disagrees.
                                  >
                                  > (yes except that i didn't patch nadir, i know i know)
                                  >

                                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jrgen_schrader" <panorama@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Well observed, Hans, you are right. I didn't think of that.
                                  > > In this case for outdoor sceneries I would prefer to tilt the camera down and shoot the Zenit separately. But to me it looks as if Roger didn't correct any CAs at all as they were clearly visible even in the small window.
                                  > >
                                  > > I did something similar here:
                                  > > http://bavaria360.de/maxsolar/eggstaett_1.html
                                  > > from about 4m, single pole, with the 15mm mounted on my panohead.
                                  > > As I had never done this before with the 15mm I took plenty of images and picked a few for stitching. With a ring solution and some practice that might work pretty well. Don't ask how long it took for the Nadir patch, though ;)
                                  > >
                                  > > J�rgen
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <hans@> wrote:

                                  > > > Agree completely.
                                  > > > I have not seen any other fisheye yet that can compete with the Canon 15mm
                                  > > >
                                  > > > But if you use it like Roger does and trigger it to use the worst areas of it you can not expect it to produce the best quality all over.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Even if the Canon 15mm is the best you need to stop down to F11 to have maximum sharpness at the outer corners.
                                  > > > Those areas are never used when you shoot normally with 6+1 images.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Hans

                                • onezebra1
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 2, 2010
                                    Using this new 8-15mm lens would replace my Nikon 10.5mm and Canon 15mm lens for daylight shots and could be set to just under 15mm, and hopefully get full 180 degrees diagonally, or maybe even more.
                                    On the Canon website for the 8-15mm lens they state "overall image quality exceeds that of the previous Canon 15mm fisheye design"

                                    My big problem is the bad lens flare I got yesterday, this was shot @ f/8.
                                    http://www.indiavrtours.com/pic/15mm_flare.jpg

                                    Roger Berry
                                  • bigwade
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 2, 2010
                                      HeyHey Jurgen ;-)
                                      grtz!
                                    • Phil
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 2, 2010
                                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:
                                        > I want to make one also, but have to figure out angle degrees to bend at and length of bottom rail. Any pointers?
                                        >
                                        > A Kielcz

                                        The best pointer I have for you is to get a Nodal Ninja R1. It's the perfect stocking stuffer for Christmas and is more versatile than a homemade L bracket. The R1 is easy to adjust without using any tools. If you get up Christmas morning and find a piece of coal in your stocking when you were hoping to get the NN R1 here's how you can make your L bracket.

                                        Plan on making two of these with the first one being practice. With my first one the metal I used wasn't thick enough where the weight of the camera/lens would cause a little flex. Also after mounting the camera it was easy to see where I could make improvements with a second bracket. The first one would have worked but I was picky.

                                        I made a template out of heavy paper to get the bend angle close with the camera set up on my NN5. I drew the angle on a paper that became the template for the bend. I took this paper to a local 1 man metal shop and he made it out of a scrap piece of aluminum.

                                        The 3/8 thick aluminum, you don't want it any thinner, was sheared at 2.5" x 12". This is longer than it needs to be but after mounting the camera you'll trim off what isn't needed. He then had me mark the bend line using my paper template and he put the 90° bend on it using an industrial break.

                                        The hard part is getting your mounting holes in the right spot because you can't easily adjust them after you make them. Get precise measurements using your current panohead as a reference. Adjustments can only be made later using a big hammer with the L bracket in a heavy vice. 3/8 aluminum isn't easy to bend.

                                        My L bracket isn't perfect but it's good enough for using outside on a pole when there aren't objects close to the camera. I could try "fine tuning" it with a big hammer but I'm waiting to see if a NN R1 shows up in my stocking Christmas morning.

                                        Phil