Panorama calculator

  • aslanresimler
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 27, 2010
      Hello,

      Here is a calculator I created on excel sheet for my own need.
      I wanted to know the number of picture per row I would have to shoot in order to achieve a stitched panorama.

      You can find the calculator on the front page of my blog :
      http://photos.yves.over-blog.com
      or in the following subject :
      http://photos.yves.over-blog.com/article-panorama-calculator-mise-a-jour-61831164.html

      I hope you will enjoy it and give me some feedback in order to improve it.

      Yves.
    • Wim Koornneef
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 28, 2010
        Hello Yves,

        Thanks for sharing your Panorama Calculator, I tried it and it works really
        fine to calculate an optimized schema for shooting multi-row spherical
        panoramas.
        With this optimized schema it is possible to shoot a pano with less images,
        to process the images faster and still get a fine result.

        For use with my Seitz VR Drive (a programmable motor drive) I have to set
        the "Horizontal angular step" to 0,1 degree to get the proper number of
        images calculated, this is because the drive calculates the rotation per
        image based on a programmed number of images so the rotation is not fixed to
        integer numbers (f.e. when shooting 17 images in a row the rotation is
        360/17=21,18 degree per image)
        When using a manual rotator then the minimum rotation that the rotator is
        capable for has to be set (f.e. 10 degree when the max number of click stops
        is 36).

        The option to force a row at the horizon with a tilt of 0 degree is very
        handy, this can avoid a lot of ghosting in the panorama.

        Although I am not a big gigapan or mosaic shooter your Panorama Calculator
        is also very handy for this purpose.

        Thanks again,
        Wim

      • Wim Koornneef
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 28, 2010
          PS:

          I found out that when using Nabble to read PanoToolsNG messages that the
          link to your blog is crippled, the URL in Nabble is changed into:
          http://photos.yves.over-blog.com/?by-user=t

          The result is an error message, the URL should be:
          http://photos.yves.over-blog.com

          I will inform the owner of Nabble about the wrong behavior.

          Wim

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 28, 2010
            Am 28.11.2010 06:55, schrieb aslanresimler:
            > Here is a calculator I created on excel sheet for my own need.
            > I wanted to know the number of picture per row I would have to shoot in order to achieve a stitched panorama.
            >
            > You can find the calculator on the front page of my blog :
            > http://photos.yves.over-blog.com

            Looks a bit complicated compared to
            http://www.frankvanderpol.nl/fov_pan_calc.htm
            but of course Frank's calculator doesn't work for multi rows.

            I didn't dare to activate macros, since this means a security risk. I
            hope this doesn't affect the functionality.

            The numbers given under "Results" are mistakable. It took me a while to
            realize that the *total* number of images is meant, not the images per row.

            What does the "Fisheye adjustment" value mean? None of the formulas I
            know for fisheye FoV calculation needs an adjustment value:
            http://wiki.panotools.org/Fisheye_Projection
            However, those ideal formulas are seldom found in real world:
            http://tinyurl.com/b9sgn
            (scroll down to "2- Image mapping (distortion)") but those different
            formulas don't use an adjustment value either...

            The field "Focal length calculated" is nonsense. Focal length doesn't
            change if the image is cropped, only FoV changes. This common
            misconception is very much out of place in a panoramic calculator. Not
            to mention that the calculation of an "as if" focal length is wrong for
            fisheyes anyway.

            Some hints:
            - While calculate the Panorama size using sensor surface utilization
            works relatively well for rectilinear lenses it gives wrong results for
            fisheyes since effectively used sensor region isn't square. It's far
            better to use the angular resolution, which makes the calculation
            independent from overlap and number of images, at least for a full
            spherical. See
            http://wiki.panotools.org/DSLR_spherical_resolution for details.

            - Image orientation is more commonly named "landscape" and "portrait" in
            english, not "horizontal" and "vertical".

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 28, 2010
              Am 28.11.2010 11:20, schrieb Wim Koornneef:
              > I found out that when using Nabble to read PanoToolsNG messages that the
              > link to your blog is crippled, the URL in Nabble is changed into:
              > http://photos.yves.over-blog.com/?by-user=t

              Seems as if all URLs not containing a path are treated this way. I
              already complained to nabble support:
              http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/-tt5781485.html

            • aslanresimler
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 28, 2010
                Thank you for this feedback, I will see how to improve the file based on your comments.

                For the fisheye adjustment value, I took into account the fact that there are for different categories of lens.
                With the formula I took, there is a risk of having a difference between what you have in the formula and the reality.

                Concerning the "as if" focal length, I think it can be useful for someone that is not an expert and is questioning himself.
                I will correct the indication for fisheye.

                Regards,
                Yves.

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 28, 2010
                  Am 28.11.2010 13:51, schrieb aslanresimler:

                  > For the fisheye adjustment value, I took into account the fact that
                  > there are for different categories of lens. With the formula I took,
                  > there is a risk of having a difference between what you have in the
                  > formula and the reality.

                  Since the adjustment value isn't used anywhere else it's not so helpful.
                  Better to use the standard formula.

                  > Concerning the "as if" focal length, I think it can be useful for
                  > someone that is not an expert and is questioning himself.

                  No, please leave this away. It is a misconception which doesn't help
                  anyone. You don't need to be an expert to understand this.

                • Eric O'Brien
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 28, 2010
                    Also, don't neglect Mr. Turkowski's calculators at
                    <http://www.worldserver.com/turk/quicktimevr/calculators.html>

                    eo

                    On Nov 27, 2010, at 9:55 PM, aslanresimler wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > Here is a calculator I created on excel sheet for my own need.
                    > I wanted to know the number of picture per row I would have to shoot
                    > in order to achieve a stitched panorama.
                    >
                    > You can find the calculator on the front page of my blog :
                    > http://photos.yves.over-blog.com
                    > or in the following subject :
                    > http://photos.yves.over-blog.com/article-panorama-calculator-mise-a-jour-61831164.html
                    >
                    > I hope you will enjoy it and give me some feedback in order to
                    > improve it.
                    >
                    > Yves.
                    >
                    > __._,_._

                  • aslanresimler
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 29, 2010
                      Thank you, I will have a look at this link.

                      Regards,
                      Yves.