Re: [PanoToolsNG] new tower pano

  • Ron Rack
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 22, 2010
      I figured out the horizon issue with help from Willy and Peter and
      others, thanks you guys. I thought I would recap this if anyone else
      is interested:
      I had 2 issues with the horizon:
      a) wavy or slight "s" curve
      b) horizon was in the wrong place
      Initially I had placed vertical line control points in PTgui to
      straighten everything. As not all buildings were leaning the same way
      this didn't really help too much, I then manually moved the images
      around in the PTgui edit window until I thought it looked as good as
      it could. I went ahead and stitched everything together and did the
      layer blends and psd retouch etc until I had a final equirect. I took
      this back into PTgui and placed some horizontal line control points
      and this straightened out the "wavy" horizon. At this point I should
      have also tried to place the horizon where it belongs which is exactly
      halfway up the total height of the equirect. Turns out my horizon was
      150 pixels higher than halfway. This caused a pronounced "concave" dip
      in the horizon in the final interactive pano even though the horizon
      was basically flat (straight) in the equirect. Take the equirect back
      in photoshop and selected the whole image and did a transform command
      and pulling the top of the image down until my horizon lined up with a
      guide that I set at the halfway point. I then selected the whole sky
      area above the horizon and with the transform command again pulled the
      sky back up to cover the whole image area again.
      Final result is a horizon that looks like it should, (mostly) straight
      and level.

      I added a quick shot of the actual deck area that I took the shots from.

      http://rackphoto.com/pp/2010/11/20/cincinnati-from-the-carew-tower/

      Sorry if this is basic info but there might be others whole are having
      to deal with this too :-)

      ron rack