samyang (rokinon) no metering on nikon?!

  • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 21, 2010
      my dad got a samyang (rokinon) fisheye. he says,
      "Question: I realize it is completely manual, but I thought if I used it in
      manual mode I could set the aperture and then the meter in the nikon tell
      me the shutter speed for a correct exposure. That does not appear to be
      the case - I have to trial and error photos to get it right. I basically
      have no meter at all. Why is that?"

      Are nikon cameras really so stupid? Say it ain't so! Can anyone advise?

      Thanks!
      Jeffrey

    • Ian Wood
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 21, 2010
        It's getting better, but at one stage only Nikon's pro digital models would do stop-down metering. :-(

        Ian

        On 21 Nov 2010, at 12:39, Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net wrote:

        > my dad got a samyang (rokinon) fisheye. he says,
        > "Question: I realize it is completely manual, but I thought if I used it in
        > manual mode I could set the aperture and then the meter in the nikon tell
        > me the shutter speed for a correct exposure. That does not appear to be
        > the case - I have to trial and error photos to get it right. I basically
        > have no meter at all. Why is that?"
        >
        > Are nikon cameras really so stupid? Say it ain't so! Can anyone advise?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Jeffrey
      • Willy Kaemena
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 21, 2010
          you can define some lenses I had to define my 8mm manual Nikon and it worked fine

          You can find it under "Non-CPU Lenses" in the manual

          Willy

          On Nov 21, 2010, at 13:48, Ian Wood wrote:

          > It's getting better, but at one stage only Nikon's pro digital models would do stop-down metering. :-(
          >
          > Ian
          >
          > On 21 Nov 2010, at 12:39, Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net wrote:
          >
          > > my dad got a samyang (rokinon) fisheye. he says,
          > > "Question: I realize it is completely manual, but I thought if I used it in
          > > manual mode I could set the aperture and then the meter in the nikon tell
          > > me the shutter speed for a correct exposure. That does not appear to be
          > > the case - I have to trial and error photos to get it right. I basically
          > > have no meter at all. Why is that?"
          > >
          > > Are nikon cameras really so stupid? Say it ain't so! Can anyone advise?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > > Jeffrey

        • Michel Thoby
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 21, 2010
            Hi Jeffrey,
            Le 21 nov. 2010 � 13:39, Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net a �crit :

            > my dad got a samyang (rokinon) fisheye. he says,
            > "Question: I realize it is completely manual, but I thought if I used it in
            > manual mode I could set the aperture and then the meter in the nikon tell
            > me the shutter speed for a correct exposure. That does not appear to be
            > the case - I have to trial and error photos to get it right. I basically
            > have no meter at all. Why is that?"
            >
            > Are nikon cameras really so stupid? Say it ain't so! Can anyone advise?
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Jeffrey

            Sorry. As a multiple Samyang lenses owner but Canon DSLR user, I cannot elaborate on usage restrictions due to the absence of electrical links with the body of the different Nikon DSLR. Knowledgeable Nikonists may step in please.
            I think that it depends what Nikon camera model your father uses and furthermore the specific Samyang model may become soon also of importance: All the current Samyang lenses model are controlled (Focus and Aperture) only manually by means of two sets of rings and scales on the barrel of the lens. But I had read that exposure metering improvement are been implemented on at least one of the Samyang popular models for use on Nikon cameras:
            http://tinyurl.com/29o7c62
            << Samyang AE 14 mm f/2,8 ED AS IF UMC with a Nikon F mount, is a wide-angle manual lens designed for Nikon reflex cameras with FX/DX sensor sizes. The lens is equipped with an electronic system allowing to fully control of exposure parameters from the camera level and use iTTL flash system the easy way. Owing to detailed information on available apertures, focal length and focus, shooting with Samyang AE 14 mm f/2,8 ED AS IF UMC is easier than ever before.>>

            More detailed and updated news at http://www.samyang.pl/en
            For example << Samyang AE 14 mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC � have full control with Nikon reflex cameras Samyang AE 14 mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC is an improved version of the high quality Samyang 14 mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Aspherical lens, and features electronic system transferring information about focal lengths and available apertures. This modification will ensure perfect communication between your camera and lens, allowing you to use advanced P, S, A and M modes. Most importantly, this solution will also enable you to take full advantage of iTTL flash. All information concerning parameters used are displayed in EXIF. Full control of exposure parameters make Samyang AE 14 mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC even better and more universal tool than ever before.>>
            This new version is now announced to be available on February 2, 2011 in Europe.
            http://tinyurl.com/255p62g

            Michel

          • prague
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 21, 2010
              in the nikon d40x manual, it says that "non-cpu lenses" on the camera will mean that the exposure meter will not work.

              I can't believe no one hasn't complained about this before. With all the peleng and samyang fisheyes out there.

              As a user of manual lenses on my canon camera - probably half my lenses are manual "old" lenses - I certainly won't buy a nikon SLR (I was toying with the idea) or recommend anyone else to do so. What a crazy and unnecessary way to limit a camera! :(

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

              > you can define some lenses I had to define my 8mm manual Nikon and it worked fine
              >
              > You can find it under "Non-CPU Lenses" in the manual
              >
              > Willy
              >

              > On Nov 21, 2010, at 13:48, Ian Wood wrote:
              >
              > > It's getting better, but at one stage only Nikon's pro digital models would do stop-down metering. :-(
              > >
              > > Ian
              > >
              > > On 21 Nov 2010, at 12:39, Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net wrote:
              > >
              > > > my dad got a samyang (rokinon) fisheye. he says,
              > > > "Question: I realize it is completely manual, but I thought if I used it in
              > > > manual mode I could set the aperture and then the meter in the nikon tell
              > > > me the shutter speed for a correct exposure. That does not appear to be
              > > > the case - I have to trial and error photos to get it right. I basically
              > > > have no meter at all. Why is that?"
              > > >
              > > > Are nikon cameras really so stupid? Say it ain't so! Can anyone advise?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks!
              > > > Jeffrey

            • prague
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 22, 2010
                So, which nikon cameras do allow metering on "non-cpu" i.e. "manual" lenses?

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "prague" <360cities@...> wrote:

                > in the nikon d40x manual, it says that "non-cpu lenses" on the camera will mean that the exposure meter will not work.
                >
                > I can't believe no one hasn't complained about this before. With all the peleng and samyang fisheyes out there.
                >
                > As a user of manual lenses on my canon camera - probably half my lenses are manual "old" lenses - I certainly won't buy a nikon SLR (I was toying with the idea) or recommend anyone else to do so. What a crazy and unnecessary way to limit a camera! :(
                >

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@> wrote:
                > >

                > > you can define some lenses I had to define my 8mm manual Nikon and it worked fine
                > >
                > > You can find it under "Non-CPU Lenses" in the manual
                > >
                > > Willy
                > >

                > > On Nov 21, 2010, at 13:48, Ian Wood wrote:
                > >
                > > > It's getting better, but at one stage only Nikon's pro digital models would do stop-down metering. :-(
                > > >
                > > > Ian

              • Andhi Noorcholis
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 22, 2010
                  AFAIK nikon model above D200 can do metering with manual lenses.

                  D200, D300, D700 etc...

                  On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 4:23 PM, prague <360cities@...> wrote:

                  > So, which nikon cameras do allow metering on "non-cpu" i.e. "manual"
                  > lenses?
                  >

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > "prague" <360cities@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > in the nikon d40x manual, it says that "non-cpu lenses" on the camera
                  > will mean that the exposure meter will not work.
                  > >
                  > > I can't believe no one hasn't complained about this before. With all the
                  > peleng and samyang fisheyes out there.
                  > >
                  > > As a user of manual lenses on my canon camera - probably half my lenses
                  > are manual "old" lenses - I certainly won't buy a nikon SLR (I was toying
                  > with the idea) or recommend anyone else to do so. What a crazy and
                  > unnecessary way to limit a camera! :(
                  > >

                  > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > you can define some lenses I had to define my 8mm manual Nikon and it
                  > worked fine
                  > > >
                  > > > You can find it under "Non-CPU Lenses" in the manual
                  > > >
                  > > > Willy

                  > would do stop-down metering. :-(

                  > used it in
                  > nikon tell
                  > to be
                  > basically

                  > advise?

                • Roger D. Williams
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 22, 2010
                    On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 18:23:57 +0900, prague <360cities@...> wrote:

                    > So, which nikon cameras do allow metering on "non-cpu" i.e. "manual"
                    > lenses?

                    It's a features that was previously limited to high-end cameras but
                    is working its way down towards entry-level DSLRs. It isn't there
                    yet, and I can't quote product numbers. The D200 and D300 definitely
                    have this feature (I swapped my D200 for the D300 when it came out
                    so I have used both).

                    Roger W.

                    --
                    Business: www.adex-japan.com
                    Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 22, 2010
                      Jeff,

                      I am under the impression that Japanese camera brands put more resources
                      in crippling their cameras than in developing them.

                      I am pretty sure this will cost them a very high price down the road.

                      This happens on all segments, check this article: The big brand camera
                      companies are committing seppuku in front of our eyes.
                      <http://techcrunch.com/2010/11/21/the-connected-camera/>

                      Os melhores cumprimentos,
                      Best regards,

                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                      Carlos Chegado

                      Olho de Peixe Lda
                      Rua Miguel Pais, 48 - B, 2830-356 Barreiro, Portugal
                      Tel: (+351) 210 88 91 92, Fax: (+351) 210 88 91 99

                      || Skype: carloschegado || facebook.com/carloschegado ||
                      twitter.com/carloschegado ||

                      www.xprints.com ||

                      || 360cities.net/profile/carlos-chegado || ivrpa.org/user/2153 ||

                      On 21-11-2010 21:50, prague wrote:

                      > in the nikon d40x manual, it says that "non-cpu lenses" on the camera
                      > will mean that the exposure meter will not work.
                      >
                      > I can't believe no one hasn't complained about this before. With all
                      > the peleng and samyang fisheyes out there.
                      >
                      > As a user of manual lenses on my canon camera - probably half my
                      > lenses are manual "old" lenses - I certainly won't buy a nikon SLR (I
                      > was toying with the idea) or recommend anyone else to do so. What a
                      > crazy and unnecessary way to limit a camera! :(

                    • Bernhard Vogl
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 22, 2010
                        Carlos, you are right, disabling metering on low-end DSLRs is more a "political" reason than a technical.

                        However, there's still a pice of hardware needed to fully support non-CPU lenses: the lever that will "read" the f-stop from the camera. It's not included in the low end cameras so only basic metering with the lens stopped down would be possible (like with exotic 3rd party lenses on the high-end models)

                        Best regards
                        Bernhard

                        -------- Original-Nachricht --------

                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 27, 2010
                          whatever piece of hardware that is, bernhard, it's present in my canon 300d (the oldest, nastiest canon dslr) and every other canon.

                          really, i won't recommend nikon to anyone after finding out about this. it's really dumb!

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Bernhard Vogl" <bvogl@...> wrote:

                          > Carlos, you are right, disabling metering on low-end DSLRs is more a "political" reason than a technical.
                          >
                          > However, there's still a pice of hardware needed to fully support non-CPU lenses: the lever that will "read" the f-stop from the camera. It's not included in the low end cameras so only basic metering with the lens stopped down would be possible (like with exotic 3rd party lenses on the high-end models)
                          >

                          > Best regards
                          > Bernhard
                          >
                          > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
                          > > Datum: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 09:39:41 +0000
                          > > Von: "Carlos Chegado - carloschegado.com" <mail@...>
                          > > An: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                          > > Betreff: Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: samyang (rokinon) no metering on nikon?!
                          >
                          > > Jeff,
                          > >
                          > > I am under the impression that Japanese camera brands put more resources
                          > > in crippling their cameras than in developing them.
                          > >
                          > > I am pretty sure this will cost them a very high price down the road.
                          > >
                          > > This happens on all segments, check this article: The big brand camera
                          > > companies are committing seppuku in front of our eyes.
                          > > <http://techcrunch.com/2010/11/21/the-connected-camera/>
                          > >
                          > > Os melhores cumprimentos,
                          > > Best regards,
                          > >
                          > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          > >
                          > > Carlos Chegado
                          > >
                          > > Olho de Peixe Lda
                          > > Rua Miguel Pais, 48 - B, 2830-356 Barreiro, Portugal
                          > > Tel: (+351) 210 88 91 92, Fax: (+351) 210 88 91 99
                          > >
                          > > || Skype: carloschegado || facebook.com/carloschegado ||
                          > > twitter.com/carloschegado ||

                          > > www.xprints.com ||
                          > >
                          > > || 360cities.net/profile/carlos-chegado || ivrpa.org/user/2153 ||
                          > >

                          > > On 21-11-2010 21:50, prague wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > in the nikon d40x manual, it says that "non-cpu lenses" on the camera
                          > > > will mean that the exposure meter will not work.
                          > > >
                          > > > I can't believe no one hasn't complained about this before. With all
                          > > > the peleng and samyang fisheyes out there.
                          > > >
                          > > > As a user of manual lenses on my canon camera - probably half my
                          > > > lenses are manual "old" lenses - I certainly won't buy a nikon SLR (I
                          > > > was toying with the idea) or recommend anyone else to do so. What a
                          > > > crazy and unnecessary way to limit a camera! :(

                          > > --

                        • Bernhard Vogl
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 27, 2010
                            To clarify things a little. Generally speaking there are 4 options:
                            1) you can't even mount an old lens (e.g. because it would block the mirror)
                            2) you can mount the lens but you can't use the meter (i know that was the fact with the old Fuji S2,S3, apparently also for the D40)
                            3) you can mount the lens but metering can only be done stopped down (e.g. T2 and M42 mounts, D200 and up)
                            4) you can mount the lens and camera can read f-stop from lens via lever, so metering even works with lens full open (all old Nikkor lenses, D200 and up)

                            I'm not sure what the Canon can do (only owned Canon film cameras, sold the equipment because old Canon lenses can't be mounted on new Canon cameras ;-) ), but if every Canon camera can do 1-3 with every lens, it's a clear plus for the Canon.
                            I have heard that Pentax also allows to use old lenses but i don't know how far the integrations goes - i have also lost track what others like Sony alpha can do in that respect.
                            Maybe it would be worth to to create an overview page on the Wiki?

                            -------- Original-Nachricht --------

                          • prague
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 29, 2010
                              bernhard,

                              for the 2nd time in my life, i'll quote matthew rogers "you people make things more complicated than necessary" ;-)

                              there are 2 possibilities.

                              1) your camera's light meter works if there is a lens on the camera or not. manual lenses are the same as no lens being on the camera, as far as your camera is concerned.
                              2) your camera's light meter is disabled if no "approved lens" is detected on the camera.

                              canon is 1) and nikon (all but the expensive ones, i guess) is 2).

                              in terms of making shooting VR more popular, i.e. cheaper, i.e. buy a wonderful $250 samyang/rokinon/etc. fisheye, i will never recommend anyone use nikon. :( i mean really. after all these years i've finally convinced my dad to buy a fisheye lens to make panos, and the damn light meter in the camera won't work, because there is no "certified by nikon" chip in the lens? I mean, really!!!! :-(

                            • Thomas Krüger
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 29, 2010
                                @ Jeffrey - Here is a solution for the D40:
                                http://www.alternativemicrosystems.com/D40/
                              • prague
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 30, 2010
                                  no way dude :)

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 30, 2010
                                    Jeffrey, i totally agree with Matthew and you! But unfortunately, the
                                    whole live is complicated and so is the task of selecting the "right"
                                    camera. And it's a big fatality if things are simplified just for the
                                    sake of looking simple.

                                    Having said that: At the moment, i have the honor/task to help my
                                    brother to select the "right" DSLR for his needs. His primary aim is to
                                    use it as a high quality movie camera, but with the option to have a
                                    good "classic" SLR with the option to use some prime lenses for specific
                                    tasks. I may be on the sure side to recommend a Canon, but since i have
                                    read many positive opinions about the new Panasonic GH2 in terms of
                                    having all the options you need to capture movies...

                                    So, BTW - if someone already has some experience with the new Panasonic,
                                    i'd really love to hear them!

                                    Thanks
                                    Bernhard