Images of Oxford's Covered Market

  • henrystuart70
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 6, 2006
      Hi all,

      Here's some pics from yesterday in my home town of Oxford:

      1: The Covered Market getting ready for Christmas:

      http://www.sphericalimages.com/travelogue/coveredmarket1.html

      http://www.sphericalimages.com/travelogue/coveredmarket2.html

      2: The Oxford University Museum of Natural History:

      http://www.sphericalimages.com/travelogue/naturalhistory.html

      Looking forward to some time off this Christmas/New Year going up to
      Scotland, should be some good oportunities for panos up there!

      Henry Stuart
      Spherical Images
    • Ian Worthington
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 6, 2006
        Hi.

        I've just acquired a new Sigma 8mm and have been pointed towards
        PanoTools as a program that can perform perspective conversions, akin
        to defish for Macs.

        Unfortunately I'm having a bit of trouble finding where to start --
        there seem to be multiple sources of different versions, some at 8
        bit, others at 16 bit, some with fisheye support, some without.

        Can someone point me at the latest 16 bit, fisheye version please?

        Then I'm going to need to know how to drive it -- there's a great
        wealth of tutorials out there but mostly orientated towards the
        generation of panoramas of course.

        Can someone point me to a tutorial or other instructions on defishing
        8mm shots?

        Thanks,

        ian
      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 6, 2006
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Worthington" <IanWorthington@...> wrote:

          > Hi.
          >
          > I've just acquired a new Sigma 8mm and have been pointed towards
          > PanoTools as a program that can perform perspective conversions, akin
          > to defish for Macs.
          >
          > Unfortunately I'm having a bit of trouble finding where to start --
          > there seem to be multiple sources of different versions, some at 8
          > bit, others at 16 bit, some with fisheye support, some without.
          >
          > Can someone point me at the latest 16 bit, fisheye version please?
          >
          > Then I'm going to need to know how to drive it -- there's a great
          > wealth of tutorials out there but mostly orientated towards the
          > generation of panoramas of course.
          >
          > Can someone point me to a tutorial or other instructions on defishing
          > 8mm shots?

          Why do you need to defish?
          There is no need for that when stitching panoramas.
          You find all links to Stitchers, Tutorials and other software here
          http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/software.html

          Hans
        • Ian Worthington
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 6, 2006

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Worthington"
            <IanWorthington@> wrote:

            > > Hi.
            > >
            > > I've just acquired a new Sigma 8mm and have been pointed towards
            > > PanoTools as a program that can perform perspective conversions,
            akin
            > > to defish for Macs.
            > >
            > > Unfortunately I'm having a bit of trouble finding where to start -
            -
            > > there seem to be multiple sources of different versions, some at
            8
            > > bit, others at 16 bit, some with fisheye support, some without.
            > >
            > > Can someone point me at the latest 16 bit, fisheye version please?
            > >
            > > Then I'm going to need to know how to drive it -- there's a great
            > > wealth of tutorials out there but mostly orientated towards the
            > > generation of panoramas of course.
            > >
            > > Can someone point me to a tutorial or other instructions on
            defishing
            > > 8mm shots?
            >
            > Why do you need to defish?
            > There is no need for that when stitching panoramas.
            > You find all links to Stitchers, Tutorials and other software here
            > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/software.html
            >
            > Hans

            Thanks Hans. At this time though I'm not looking to try to do
            panoramas with it, just to change the perspective to something
            more "orthodox". I was lead to believe that Panotools was the best
            tool for that job. Was I misinformed?

            ian
          • hmmsomethingelse
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 6, 2006
              Heh just thinking how familiar it all looked then realised its the
              same as from the 360precision homepage

              http://www.360precision.com/360/vr/d200_samples.cfm?viewer=qt&location=d200-cover-5

              and
              http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/oxfordtour/tutorial/pano.html
              from the tutorial
              http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/oxfordtour/tutorial/index.asp?ID=35&pagename=Canon%205D%20&%2015mm%20FE

              Not that yours aren't nice though. Thanks for posting. Oxford must be
              a crowded place though. Perhaps you need like gypsy signs to tell were
              people have been.
            • Hans Nyberg
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 6, 2006
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Worthington" <IanWorthington@...> wrote:
                > > Why do you need to defish?
                > > There is no need for that when stitching panoramas.
                > > You find all links to Stitchers, Tutorials and other software here
                > > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/software.html
                > >
                > > Hans
                > >

                > Thanks Hans. At this time though I'm not looking to try to do
                > panoramas with it, just to change the perspective to something
                > more "orthodox". I was lead to believe that Panotools was the best
                > tool for that job. Was I misinformed?

                No and you still find the links for download on my page. Just look for Add-ons

                Hans
              • David L. Morel
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 6, 2006
                  Question about these shots. I really enjoyed them.

                  How many shots in each of those and what lens/camera setup?

                  ________________________
                  David L. Morel
                • henrystuart70
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 6, 2006
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "David L. Morel" <dlmorel@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Question about these shots. I really enjoyed them.
                    >
                    > How many shots in each of those and what lens/camera setup?
                    >
                    > ________________________
                    > David L. Morel

                    Hi David,

                    6 images around 1 up and 1 down. The 6 around and one up were batch
                    stitched using a 360 precision tripod head, NikonD70s with a 10.5mm
                    fisheye. The nadir was taken seperately with the fisheye too, defished
                    and placed in the hole on the bottom cubeface with photoshop.

                    Henry
                  • Mike Johnston
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 6, 2006
                      Great Panos!
                      The market looks like a neat place to visit.
                      Thanks for sharing.

                      Mike J.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 6, 2006
                        Thanks. Another question. How do you get the images without people in more
                        than one frame? Do you just take them fast? Or Slow? Or take a bunch and
                        use the ones that don't have the same people in more than one frame?
                        ________________________
                        David L. Morel
                      • henrystuart70
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 7, 2006
                          wrote:

                          > Thanks. Another question. How do you get the images without
                          people in more
                          > than one frame? Do you just take them fast? Or Slow? Or take a
                          bunch and
                          > use the ones that don't have the same people in more than one frame?
                          > ________________________
                          > David L. Morel

                          I set the camera up for the correct white balance, exposure, apeture
                          etc with some test shots first. When it is ready I move it to the
                          start point in my pano and take a shot with the least number of
                          people in it and then one or two others. You can always take the
                          parts from each of these photos with no one in and blend them, so it
                          appears there were less people there. You just have to also remember
                          as you are shooting who has already been in shot, easier said than
                          done in a crowded place!

                          Thanks,

                          Henry