Adobe adds low-level 3D APIs to Flash Player with Molehill

  • Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 12, 2010
      http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flash/molehill/

      For those writing Flash-based pano players, I'm curious how much of a
      benefit this will bring... I'm not familiar with the current
      techniques used, or the limitations of the limited "3D" capabilities
      added previously in 10.x.

      It's been a few years since I did serious Flash development - at the
      time, the state of the art in Flash 3D was early versions of
      Papervision - so it's not clear to me what's been missing for
      hardware-accelerated pano display in Flash (it seems that while the
      quality and performance is has come a long way in current players,
      it's still nowhere near what's achievable by running everything
      through DirectX/OpenGL drivers).

      This is not a troll to reignite the ever-present Flash vs. Apple or
      Flash vs. HTML debates, so please leave that to another thread.
    • Bjørn K Nilssen
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 12, 2010
        På Fri, 12 Nov 2010 22:58:16 +0100, skrev Roger Howard
        <rogerhoward@...>:

        > http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flash/molehill/
        >
        > For those writing Flash-based pano players, I'm curious how much of a
        > benefit this will bring... I'm not familiar with the current
        > techniques used, or the limitations of the limited "3D" capabilities
        > added previously in 10.x.

        Looks very interesting and promising :)

        > It's been a few years since I did serious Flash development - at the
        > time, the state of the art in Flash 3D was early versions of
        > Papervision - so it's not clear to me what's been missing for
        > hardware-accelerated pano display in Flash (it seems that while the
        > quality and performance is has come a long way in current players,
        > it's still nowhere near what's achievable by running everything
        > through DirectX/OpenGL drivers).

        The problem with most 3D options is that they require you to install a new
        plugin, which a lot of people will not do. As most people already have
        Flash that hurdle is non there any more. Except for on those iOS devices.
        I've never done any Flash programming, but was using Director 8.5 many
        years ago, when they first introduced 3D. Didn't like it much :(

        --
        Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.
      • Trausti Hraunfjord
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 12, 2010
          Yes Roger, this is coming, and I did post a link to it a while back... but
          it is seemingly difficult for people to offer an opinion when they don't
          have hands on experience.

          I can see HUGE possibilities in this. For the current panorama players
          which are based on Flash, there will be no change until the panorama players
          have been re-written to fit the new API's features.

          Earlier this year I put out a test of the first GPU based Flash panorama
          player (TPP). On our end, and for many people who tested it, it was
          extremely good, but for many others, it was no better, and in several cases
          it was much worse than existing Flash based players running on CPU alone.
          The reason for the failure was simply the lack of GPU access/management
          through Flash, but the results were very promising. When Adobe gets things
          right on that front, we will have cream smooth panorama movements, and a
          million other things we can bring to the panos.

          A lot of good changes are coming, and it will leave the non-existing
          competition behind for a very long time.

          Trausti