anyone want to build a 3d pano scanner?

  • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 11, 2010
      you could build it using the newly hacked kinect.

      http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/open-kinect-contest/

      $1000 prize ;-)
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 11, 2010
        Kinect 3d scanning technology is mainly "structured light". A pattern of circles is projected onto the scene by an infrared filter equipped projector and an infrared sensitive sensor records that at video rates. Then the onboard (on the Kinect device) computer uses that info plus computer vision input from the visible light sensor to segment the scene elements and assign depth to them. Range is up to 2-3 meters only and the projector and camera angular coverage is limited so it would be difficult to use that for panoramic capture. It has a lot of potential though I think for tracked 3d displays for glasses-free stereo viewing of stereo panoramas -- and for more accurate interpolation for generating multiview image sets from stereo portraits.

        Peter M
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net" <360cities@...> wrote:

        > you could build it using the newly hacked kinect.
        >
        > http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/open-kinect-contest/
        >
        > $1000 prize ;-)

      • panovrx
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 13, 2010
          Here is an interesting video shot with a night vision camera of the patterns of dots the Kinect projects and detects and analyses
          http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/05/kinect-night-vision-goggles-video/

          On this Portuguese site there is an interesting account of Microsoft's technology acquisitions in this area and how they relate to the released Kinect
          http://translate.google.com.au/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://blog.vettalabs.com/2010/11/02/um-cientista-explica-o-microsoft-kinect-parte-ii/

          Merging of multiple Kinect scene records might be possible and they are cheap enough so with an array you might be able to record very wide angle scenes so a accurately depth mapped panorama might indeed to achievable with it (+ regular pano gear)
          http://groups.google.com/group/openkinect/browse_thread/thread/e8d69a621219594

          In the last century IBM had a prototype viewer PanoramiX in one version of which you could make depth map hotspots on a pano and have animated gifs move behind them --- birds flying behind buildings etc. Worked ok their samples. Maybe it still works .. the editor can be downloaded
          http://domino.research.ibm.com/comm/research_people.nsf/pages/luken.index.html

          Also there is Vizard (expensive)
          "RGB-Z texture maps for panoramic backdrops (including cube maps) that can occlude user defined CG. For instance, use this technique to create the impression of an avatar walking behind trees in a photo panoramic background."
          http://www.worldviz.com/products/vizard/features.html

          Peter M

          > Kinect 3d scanning technology is mainly "structured light". A pattern of circles is projected onto the scene by an infrared filter equipped projector and an infrared sensitive sensor records that at video rates. Then the onboard (on the Kinect device) computer uses that info plus computer vision input from the visible light sensor to segment the scene elements and assign depth to them. Range is up to 2-3 meters only and the projector and camera angular coverage is limited so it would be difficult to use that for panoramic capture. It has a lot of potential though I think for tracked 3d displays for glasses-free stereo viewing of stereo panoramas -- and for more accurate interpolation for generating multiview image sets from stereo portraits.
          >

          > Peter M
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net" <360cities@> wrote:
          > >
          > > you could build it using the newly hacked kinect.
          > >
          > > http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/open-kinect-contest/
          > >
          > > $1000 prize ;-)

        • pedro_silva58
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 13, 2010
            > On this Portuguese site there is an interesting account of Microsoft's technology acquisitions in this area and how they relate to the released Kinect
            > http://translate.google.com.au/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://blog.vettalabs.com/2010/11/02/um-cientista-explica-o-microsoft-kinect-parte-ii/

            google translate services not strictly necessary in this international list... ;-)
          • panovrx
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 4, 2012
              Reconstructme
              http://reconstructme.net/
              is a new (free for non-profit uses) program that brings the promise of the Kinect as a hand-held 3d scanner closer.
              You can move the scanner around an object and it progressively completes the model.
              http://reconstructme.net/usage/
              No textures yet but is very impressive I think for the results it gets out of a $150 game accessory. It can scan a 1m cubic volume at a time
              and then you could assemble those if you wanted to do a whole room I guess.
              The scans are supposed to be metrically accurate so they should join up ok.
              (My head -- I swivelled round on an office chair in front of the Kinect
              http://www.mediavr.com/head.jpg )

              PeterM

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net" <360cities@...> wrote:

              > you could build it using the newly hacked kinect.
              >
              > http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/open-kinect-contest/
              >
              > $1000 prize ;-)

            • John Riley
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 4, 2012