HTML5/Flash temperatures GPU and CPU

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010
      As I asked in another thread , does it matter that the CPU uses 5% or 35% or more.

      I have not found anything that supports that this is dangerous in some way.
      It does use a little more energy which you can easy detect with an energy meter which I have all my computer equipment attached to.

      My iMac uses 175 watt idle, an rotating HTML5 pano uses 197watt, a flashpano 235 and a QTVR 224.
      But this is all in almost fullscreen.
      A standard size CNN video uses 196watt as long as you do not go fullscreen. Fullscreen 220w
      The idea that flash drains your batteries are based on looking at fullscreen videos and of course it is compared not to the use of Photoshop or other demanding applications which actually does use just as much.
      The screen is what really drains your battery, not the CPU. I can easy reduce energy use with 50% just by reducing brightness.

      But what is important for computer life? I believe the temperature is important.

      I was curios about this so I just made some tests.
      This is after running same size approximately 1900x1200 HTML5 or Flash pano as autorotating for 8 minutes.
      Note the GPU temperature on the HTML5 pano.
      http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/viewers/temperatures.jpg

      Hans
    • Matthew Rogers
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010
        The temperatures are completely irrelevant, 3D renderfarms run 8/12 core machines 24/7 for months at a time. That's not the issue, the issue IS battery usage. Comparing an iMac that runs plugged into the wall is pointless.

        A laptop or iPad that's using 40 watts compared to 2 watts IS going to drain the battery MUCH faster. If I'm simply browsing or checking emails my iPads battery will last a few days. Once I start viewing videos etc the battery time falls significantly, and it has nothing to do with the screen. The more the CPU/GPU is used the faster the battery drains, this is just common sense and I'm not sure how anyone can even argue this point.

        http://www.geek.com/articles/apple/installing-flash-on-the-macbook-air-drops-battery-life-by-two-hours-2010114/

        Of course Adobe replied says it's not true and that any content be it HTML5 or Flash used the same power, clearly from the HTML5 panos this is not the case. And it's not by an insignificant amount, Flash is using 20x the amount of CPU power to display exactly the same content.

        Matt

        On 10 Nov 2010, at 13:16, Hans wrote:

        > As I asked in another thread , does it matter that the CPU uses 5% or 35% or more.
        >
        > I have not found anything that supports that this is dangerous in some way.
        > It does use a little more energy which you can easy detect with an energy meter which I have all my computer equipment attached to.
        >
        > My iMac uses 175 watt idle, an rotating HTML5 pano uses 197watt, a flashpano 235 and a QTVR 224.
        > But this is all in almost fullscreen.
        > A standard size CNN video uses 196watt as long as you do not go fullscreen. Fullscreen 220w
        > The idea that flash drains your batteries are based on looking at fullscreen videos and of course it is compared not to the use of Photoshop or other demanding applications which actually does use just as much.
        > The screen is what really drains your battery, not the CPU. I can easy reduce energy use with 50% just by reducing brightness.
        >
        > But what is important for computer life? I believe the temperature is important.
        >
        > I was curios about this so I just made some tests.
        > This is after running same size approximately 1900x1200 HTML5 or Flash pano as autorotating for 8 minutes.
        > Note the GPU temperature on the HTML5 pano.
        > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/viewers/temperatures.jpg
        >
        > Hans

      • Trausti Hraunfjord
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010
          Get better batteries and view what you want, when you want and as long as
          you want. Just because battery life is bad in the iDevices, shouldn't
          result in blaming some software. Demand of Apple to provide better
          batteries. I'm sure they will listen and do as their users wish.

          Trausti

          On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Matthew Rogers <matthew@...>wrote:

          > The temperatures are completely irrelevant, 3D renderfarms run 8/12 core
          > machines 24/7 for months at a time. That's not the issue, the issue IS
          > battery usage. Comparing an iMac that runs plugged into the wall is
          > pointless.
          >
          > A laptop or iPad that's using 40 watts compared to 2 watts IS going to
          > drain the battery MUCH faster. If I'm simply browsing or checking emails my
          > iPads battery will last a few days. Once I start viewing videos etc the
          > battery time falls significantly, and it has nothing to do with the screen.
          > The more the CPU/GPU is used the faster the battery drains, this is just
          > common sense and I'm not sure how anyone can even argue this point.
          >

          > http://www.geek.com/articles/apple/installing-flash-on-the-macbook-air-drops-battery-life-by-two-hours-2010114/
          >
          > Of course Adobe replied says it's not true and that any content be it HTML5
          > or Flash used the same power, clearly from the HTML5 panos this is not the
          > case. And it's not by an insignificant amount, Flash is using 20x the amount
          > of CPU power to display exactly the same content.
          >
          > Matt

        • Willy Kaemena
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010
            ok take your Dell WIN Laptop and a auto battery that will give you at least 3h more using flash... hahahhah

            Never saw a better weight / battery ratio than on iDevices especially iPad

            Willy

            On Nov 10, 2010, at 15:09, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:

            > Get better batteries and view what you want, when you want and as long as
            > you want. Just because battery life is bad in the iDevices, shouldn't
            > result in blaming some software. Demand of Apple to provide better
            > batteries. I'm sure they will listen and do as their users wish.
            >
            > Trausti
            >
            > On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Matthew Rogers <matthew@...>wrote:
            >
            > > The temperatures are completely irrelevant, 3D renderfarms run 8/12 core
            > > machines 24/7 for months at a time. That's not the issue, the issue IS
            > > battery usage. Comparing an iMac that runs plugged into the wall is
            > > pointless.
            > >
            > > A laptop or iPad that's using 40 watts compared to 2 watts IS going to
            > > drain the battery MUCH faster. If I'm simply browsing or checking emails my
            > > iPads battery will last a few days. Once I start viewing videos etc the
            > > battery time falls significantly, and it has nothing to do with the screen.
            > > The more the CPU/GPU is used the faster the battery drains, this is just
            > > common sense and I'm not sure how anyone can even argue this point.
            > >

            > > http://www.geek.com/articles/apple/installing-flash-on-the-macbook-air-drops-battery-life-by-two-hours-2010114/
            > >
            > > Of course Adobe replied says it's not true and that any content be it HTML5
            > > or Flash used the same power, clearly from the HTML5 panos this is not the
            > > case. And it's not by an insignificant amount, Flash is using 20x the amount
            > > of CPU power to display exactly the same content.
            > >
            > > Matt

          • Eduardo Hutter
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010
              Trausti, I'm sorry man but that is not even an argument.

              Is like saying: *Get a Hummer with a humongous gas tank and go wherever you
              want to. Just because your Prius have a 45L instead of a 120 Liters gas
              tank, it doesn't mean that you should blame GM. Ask Toyota for a bigger
              tank!*

              I too think that Steve Jobs is megalomaniac, but let's be real, Flash is a
              cpu hog.

              On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 9:09 AM, Trausti Hraunfjord <
              trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:

              > Get better batteries and view what you want, when you want and as long as
              > you want. Just because battery life is bad in the iDevices, shouldn't
              > result in blaming some software. Demand of Apple to provide better
              > batteries. I'm sure they will listen and do as their users wish.
              >
              > Trausti

            • Trausti Hraunfjord
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010
                No matter how "good" the batteries may be, apple is still the one company
                that consistently complains about their batteries going flat too fast if the
                devices are used. It bothers them so much that they even block access to
                material that might use the batteries... it is however still possible to use
                the iPhones for phone conversations, even when it is a known fact that using
                speech really drains the battery life. Phone service should of course be
                blocked out as well to protect the batteries from early depletion.

                The real problem is still bad battery technology that is used.

                Here is what might see the light of day in the coming years:
                http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10372233-1.html

                Another indicator of how badly things are in the battery sector, would be
                the E-volt from Chevrolet, given a driving range of 40 miles before the
                batteries need 8 hour of recharging. In comparison, Chinese electric car
                manufacturers are providing fully electric cars with a driving range of 250
                miles, less than 3 hours of recharging for a full charge, and less than 20
                minutes for a 50% recharge. This is because the Chinese are thinking out of
                the box, and have come up with new battery types... in those most recent
                PRODUCTION cars the battery life is 372.000 miles.

                If the Chinese did like the "leaders" do (Chevy and other typical car
                producers), they would be able to offer cars with less than 40 mile driving
                radius, and everyone would accept the need for a hybrid system, where the
                electrical part is just a small helping engine that can reduce the gas
                consumption. Thankfully the Chinese are not thinking in the same old
                patterns.

                Low battery life... get different batteries. That's a no-brainer, but for
                as long as companies such as Apple do not demand better batteries, they will
                continue to have problems.

                My one and only iDevice has the most stupid batterylife I have ever
                experienced on any computerized device. When the battery is depleted, it
                simply shuts off without any prior warning. Not impressive. And
                operational time (without any Flash) is very disappointing on all fronts. I
                would say that Apple has a problem, not based on software, but because of
                their hardware choices (batteries). Great engineering ... but nowhere near
                having "great battery life". It has the battery life it has, and no matter
                if it is with or without flash or phone service... the battery life is bad.
                That goes for most other battery operated devices as well.

                We need to get out of the dark middle ages and have the Chinese to show the
                way.... or press for the nuclear batteries to be produced for commercial
                applications.

                Trausti

                On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

                > ok take your Dell WIN Laptop and a auto battery that will give you at least
                > 3h more using flash... hahahhah
                >
                > Never saw a better weight / battery ratio than on iDevices especially iPad
                >
                > Willy
                >

                > On Nov 10, 2010, at 15:09, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:
                >
                > > Get better batteries and view what you want, when you want and as long as
                > > you want. Just because battery life is bad in the iDevices, shouldn't
                > > result in blaming some software. Demand of Apple to provide better
                > > batteries. I'm sure they will listen and do as their users wish.
                > >
                > > Trausti
                > >
                > > On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Matthew Rogers <
                > matthew@... <matthew%40360precision.com>>wrote:
                > >
                > > > The temperatures are completely irrelevant, 3D renderfarms run 8/12
                > core
                > > > machines 24/7 for months at a time. That's not the issue, the issue IS
                > > > battery usage. Comparing an iMac that runs plugged into the wall is
                > > > pointless.
                > > >
                > > > A laptop or iPad that's using 40 watts compared to 2 watts IS going to
                > > > drain the battery MUCH faster. If I'm simply browsing or checking
                > emails my
                > > > iPads battery will last a few days. Once I start viewing videos etc the
                > > > battery time falls significantly, and it has nothing to do with the
                > screen.
                > > > The more the CPU/GPU is used the faster the battery drains, this is
                > just
                > > > common sense and I'm not sure how anyone can even argue this point.
                > > >

                > http://www.geek.com/articles/apple/installing-flash-on-the-macbook-air-drops-battery-life-by-two-hours-2010114/
                > > >
                > > > Of course Adobe replied says it's not true and that any content be it
                > HTML5
                > > > or Flash used the same power, clearly from the HTML5 panos this is not
                > the
                > > > case. And it's not by an insignificant amount, Flash is using 20x the
                > amount
                > > > of CPU power to display exactly the same content.
                > > >
                > > > Matt

              • Hans
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Rogers <matthew@...> wrote:

                  > The temperatures are completely irrelevant, 3D renderfarms run 8/12 core machines 24/7 for months at a time. That's not the issue, the issue IS battery usage. Comparing an iMac that runs plugged into the wall is pointless.
                  >
                  > A laptop or iPad that's using 40 watts compared to 2 watts IS going to drain the battery MUCH faster. If I'm simply browsing or checking emails my iPads battery will last a few days. Once I start viewing videos etc the battery time falls significantly, and it has nothing to do with the screen. The more the CPU/GPU is used the faster the battery drains, this is just common sense and I'm not sure how anyone can even argue this point.
                  >
                  > http://www.geek.com/articles/apple/installing-flash-on-the-macbook-air-drops-battery-life-by-two-hours-2010114/
                  >
                  > Of course Adobe replied says it's not true and that any content be it HTML5 or Flash used the same power, clearly from the HTML5 panos this is not the case. And it's not by an insignificant amount, Flash is using 20x the amount of CPU power to display exactly the same content.

                  Sorry but 20X the amount of CPU usage is not the same at all as 20x the amount of battery power.

                  Thats a ridiculous statement.

                  Hans

                  > Matt
                  >
                  > On 10 Nov 2010, at 13:16, Hans wrote:
                  >
                  > > As I asked in another thread , does it matter that the CPU uses 5% or 35% or more.
                  > >
                  > > I have not found anything that supports that this is dangerous in some way.
                  > > It does use a little more energy which you can easy detect with an energy meter which I have all my computer equipment attached to.
                  > >
                  > > My iMac uses 175 watt idle, an rotating HTML5 pano uses 197watt, a flashpano 235 and a QTVR 224.
                  > > But this is all in almost fullscreen.
                  > > A standard size CNN video uses 196watt as long as you do not go fullscreen. Fullscreen 220w
                  > > The idea that flash drains your batteries are based on looking at fullscreen videos and of course it is compared not to the use of Photoshop or other demanding applications which actually does use just as much.
                  > > The screen is what really drains your battery, not the CPU. I can easy reduce energy use with 50% just by reducing brightness.
                  > >
                  > > But what is important for computer life? I believe the temperature is important.
                  > >
                  > > I was curios about this so I just made some tests.
                  > > This is after running same size approximately 1900x1200 HTML5 or Flash pano as autorotating for 8 minutes.
                  > > Note the GPU temperature on the HTML5 pano.
                  > > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/viewers/temperatures.jpg
                  > >
                  > > Hans

                • Ken Warner
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010
                    I've been saying this for years. A couple of grams of
                    plutonium and a closed cycle Sterling engine in a car
                    would give you literally unlimited mileage. Same system
                    they use in deep space probes that circle the Sun for
                    decades.

                    For a phone, all you would need is a microscopic speck
                    and a practically invisible nano-machine....

                    Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:
                    or press for the nuclear batteries to be produced for commercial
                    > applications.
                    >
                    > Trausti

                  • Michael Crane
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010

                      On 10 Nov 2010, at 16:19, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
                      > For a phone, all you would need is a microscopic speck
                      > and a practically invisible nano-machine....

                      Don't tell me Walt , ha ha, then you stick it in your ear right?
                    • John Riley
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010
                        (Puts on nuclear physicist hat) Umm, Ken, I think I will let YOU be the one to carry the plutonium around in your pocket 8-)

                        John

                        John Riley
                        johnriley@...
                        (h)864-461-3504
                        (c)864-431-7075
                        (w)864-503-5775

                        On Nov 10, 2010, at 11:19 AM, Ken Warner wrote:

                        > I've been saying this for years. A couple of grams of
                        > plutonium and a closed cycle Sterling engine in a car
                        > would give you literally unlimited mileage. Same system
                        > they use in deep space probes that circle the Sun for
                        > decades.
                        >
                        > For a phone, all you would need is a microscopic speck
                        > and a practically invisible nano-machine....

                      • Paul Fretheim
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010
                          I read Steve Jobs piece on Flash and why Apple does not allow it on iOS
                          devices. It drew my attention to the potential Flash has for causing
                          trouble and I realized that it is pretty buggy. It's caused a couple of
                          freezes on my AMD Win Vista machine and one on a friend's Intel Vista
                          machine since I read the thing a week or so ago.

                          Paul Fretheim
                        • Isaac Garcia
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 11, 2010
                            If the freezes happened since your reading that article, then it is clearly
                            reading that article that is the cause for the freezes, not flash...

                            <WINK>

                            Cheers, Isaac.

                            On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                            > I read Steve Jobs piece on Flash and why Apple does not allow it on iOS
                            > devices. It drew my attention to the potential Flash has for causing
                            > trouble and I realized that it is pretty buggy. It's caused a couple of
                            > freezes on my AMD Win Vista machine and one on a friend's Intel Vista
                            > machine since I read the thing a week or so ago.
                            >
                            > Paul Fretheim

                            Isaac GarcĂ­a

                            http://www.coletassoft.com
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/coletassoft
                            http://www.facebook.com/coletassoft
                            http://twitter.com/coletassoft
                            http://coletassoft.tumblr.com/
                            http://coletassoft.deviantART.com

                            JFGI | RTFM

                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 12, 2010
                              Am 10.11.2010 19:05, schrieb Paul Fretheim:
                              > It's caused a couple of
                              > freezes on my AMD Win Vista machine and one on a friend's Intel Vista
                              > machine since I read the thing a week or so ago.

                              This could be Vista as well. No freezes here on Win7 x64 and my sons
                              watch a lot of youtube films and play a lot of flash games and I view a
                              lot of panoramas...

                            • Trausti Hraunfjord
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 12, 2010
                                Ironically, the only GUARANTEED flash "failure" I get, is when I plug in the
                                iPod. When I do that, all flash breaks loose. If I have had flash video
                                (youtube) windows open, the videos will start playing and sounding off, but
                                going to the tabs with the videos, will show the video as it looked when it
                                has already played and finished, with the suggested video selection showing,
                                and the progress bar is not moving...

                                I have searched for this failure online, but not found anyone else having
                                reported such a behaviour... but to me it is clear that it is the Apple
                                equipment that is causing the trouble. Apple should make sure that the
                                equipment they sell, is not causing problems for the users (me). But I am
                                sure that nothing will be done to fix this hardware failure.

                                Other than that, I normally have no problems with Flash... even after I read
                                Steve Jobs lies and exaggerations, which were passed on as being the holy
                                grail of truth.

                                Trausti