Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: iPIX patent revoked by the European Patent Office :-)

  • Kathy Wheeler
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
      On 06/12/2006, at 9:38 AM, Roger Howard wrote:
      > Look, as far as I'm concerned, *nothing* has changed - meaning they
      > weren't a threat last week, and they aren't today either. I'm just
      > suggesting that until the US patent is thrown out we're not any better
      > off, as there are far too many ways to abuse the court system and
      > patent
      > law to think that you are now safe. I don't think you're under much
      > risk
      > anyway, but again I don't think anything will really improve (to zero
      > risk!) unless the US patent is dumped. And we know that won't
      > happen :(
      >
      > It's a moral win for sure, I'm just not sure in practical terms
      > that it
      > means anything (good or bad).

      Awww ... don't be such a wet blanket (pessimist) Roger ;-) It's a
      precedent. And even if the US courts don't recognise foreign
      precedents yet, with the increase in globalisation they may well have
      to re-think their whole patent process sooner or later. The US is
      only one country of many ... and people like us with our on-line
      communities are blurring the boundaries something chronic.

      Bah humbug indeed ;-)
      Cheers,
      KathyW.