Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Action ... no fall protection

  • Bostjan Burger
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2010
      I believe that the safety rules are much more strickt in EU than in US. My
      younger brother went to US to work in a construction company, that was 15 years
      ago. He was 18 years old and he didn't need to work for a money but for the
      experience. He was very dissapointed with the safety and working conditions in
      US in general. Even he had not much experience he worked on a hi altitude and on
      -20°C. For him the experinece was as coming from the 1st World to 4th World. He
      was in Brazil later and working there was much more safer.
      I have been following the construction work in several places and documenting it
      with VRs. I got a permition only when I agreed to wear a helmet, but the use of
      helmets was not always strict as it was not always needed...he is the set of
      VRs: http://www.burger.si/DOGODKI/2009_MesarskiMost/seznam.html.

      Bostjan

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 2, 2010
        Hello Jürgen,

        I fully agree with Dave about the safety issues, I had the same thoughts
        after the first view of this very nice panorama.
        I don't think there is a lot of difference about safety regulations between
        The Netherlands and Germany so I guess it must be an attitude issue of the
        local builders ....

        Wim

      • John Riley
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 2, 2010
          On Oct 31, 2010, at 5:10 PM, texas360dave wrote:

          > Nice panorama.
          >
          > Where is the Safety Engineer ?
          >
          > Safety Issues: Men not wearing hard hats, No handrails. Walk board needs toe rails.
          >
          > Men are not wearing fall protection devices.
          > 1 Man are wearing tennis shoes.
          > Other man maybe wearing steel toe boots not sure.
          >
          > Men near the crane are not wearing hard hats. Jobsite signage should have fence signs saying "Hard Hat Area".
          >
          > Vertical reinforcement rod pointing upwards do not have protective caps.
          >
          > Do not see industrial fire extinguisher. It might be hiding.

          Well, after all, Germany IS the country that brought us the best "safety" training video EVER! I present to you Staplerfahrer Klaus, Der erste Arbeitstag (Forklift Driver Klaus, First Day on the Job): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVssz2VMJVM If you have ever had to sit through some gruesome training video or driver education shock film, you will appreciate this. Warning: very graphic, but obviously fake special effects. As I understand it, they even managed to get the voice actor used in many real safety videos in Germany, lending an ever better air of verisimilitude. Enjoy!

          John

          John Riley
          johnriley@...
          (h)864-461-3504